Home Schools, Alternatives, post-pandemic

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Home Schools, Alternatives, post-pandemic

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:34 am Conservative schools are not interested in government dollars.
The government already harasses us enough and puts in place unwanted oversight, requiring things that makes sense for a 1,000 person public school but are nonsensical for a 50 student school.

In Canada the government requires conservative private schools to establish LGBT student clubs. ...
Gov funding is a TRAP.
temporal1 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:27 pm
Presumably, “The Narrative” will be that this is “nothing.” 100% expected. No surprises.
This is not a thread for this ^^ particular message. :)

Goggle results: “how much has homeschooling increased?”
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+muc ... e&ie=UTF-8
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Home schools, faith-based, and other private/alternative schools are A LOT OF WORK.
They require both time and financial commitment - IN ADDITION TO paying for gov schools. This is required.

In my view, it becomes a complete waste if gov oversees, regulates, controls. Why bother?

Caution must be exercised. The critical question: “What is the true cost of accepting taxpayer funds?!”
1 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:02 am Home schools, faith-based, and other private/alternative schools are A LOT OF WORK.
They require both time and financial commitment - IN ADDITION TO paying for gov schools. This is required.

In my view, it becomes a complete waste if gov oversees, regulates, controls. Why bother?

Caution must be exercised. The critical question: “What is the true cost of accepting taxpayer funds?!”
And our private school teachers aren’t getting huge salaries like public schools do.

And we can’t afford to pay our teachers not to work for a year either.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:05 am
temporal1 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:02 am Home schools, faith-based, and other private/alternative schools are A LOT OF WORK.

And our private school teachers aren’t getting huge salaries like public schools do.

Non-union private school teachers i’ve met are motivated by the love of teaching AND the wonderful working conditions private schools offer, esp the personal interest+investment of parents with their children in school.

Private schools have the freedom to require lots of parent+family participation/volunteers - in addition to financial support.
Children do best when parents are actively involved (in church and school).

Public school teachers are understandably terrified of litigation - and, now, social media.
i can’t imagine what it would be like to stand in front of 20-30+ students each day and wonder which of them/their parents will hang me by my toes? whether in court or on social media, or both.

Quality? hmm.
Self-preservation to retirement is now a, or the, central motivation. Quality ed is compromised.

Years ago, i encouraged both our son and daughter to consider teaching. Both were interested but declined, for pretty much these reasons - and said their friends had decided similarly. Our litigious society has a price.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3692
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Teaching in a private school has many advantages over teaching in a public school:
a thin management structure, small class sizes, smaller schools, clear discipline policies, ideal teaching conditions, and common goals.
Oct 26, 2019

https://www.thoughtco.com › reason...
Reasons to Teach in a Private School - ThoughtCo
Teaching at a Private School: Pros and Cons - Western Governors University

If smaller classes, a focus on academics, and fewer disciplinary interruptions are important to you, private school may work for you.
The sense of prestige that many experience as a faculty member at a respected private ...
https://soeonline.american.edu/blog/pro ... ate-school
0 x

UNKNOWN
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Josh wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:34 am Conservative schools are not interested in government dollars. The government already harasses us enough and puts in place unwanted oversight, requiring things that makes sense for a 1,000 person public school but are nonsensical for a 50 student school.

In Canada the government requires conservative private schools to establish LGBT student clubs. I’m sure Szd and Ken will now show up to tell me how important that is.
What conservative private schools are you referring to?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

silentreader wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:19 pm
Josh wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:34 am Conservative schools are not interested in government dollars. The government already harasses us enough and puts in place unwanted oversight, requiring things that makes sense for a 1,000 person public school but are nonsensical for a 50 student school.

In Canada the government requires conservative private schools to establish LGBT student clubs. I’m sure Szd and Ken will now show up to tell me how important that is.
All of them (even Alberta). So far, Mennonite schools have managed to escape actual compliance with this.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:16 am

Non-union private school teachers i’ve met are motivated by the love of teaching AND the wonderful working conditions private schools offer, esp the personal interest+investment of parents with their children in school.

Private schools have the freedom to require lots of parent+family participation/volunteers - in addition to financial support.
Children do best when parents are actively involved (in church and school).

Public school teachers are understandably terrified of litigation - and, now, social media.
i can’t imagine what it would be like to stand in front of 20-30+ students each day and wonder which of them/their parents will hang me by my toes? whether in court or on social media, or both.

Quality? hmm.
Self-preservation to retirement is now a, or the, central motivation. Quality ed is compromised.

Years ago, i encouraged both our son and daughter to consider teaching. Both were interested but declined, for pretty much these reasons - and said their friends had decided similarly. Our litigious society has a price.
I honestly don't know any public school teachers who are terrified of litigation. None. The unions if you are in a union state, or the professional organizations if you are in a non-union state like Texas provide excellent liability insurance. I've never heard of any teachers being sued for anything by a parent. I'm sure it happens sometimes. But it certainly isn't common.

What you do need to be cognizant of if you are a male teacher is not ever finding yourself alone with female students. Any time I ever had female students staying after school or coming before school for tutoring help I would open up the doorways between my classroom and the female teacher next door and we would go over there and sit in the back of her room to do tutoring. So there was always a female teacher in the room if I was working with a female student. That's what you are taught to do.

As for Social Media? I never "Friend" any students ever on any sort of social media, and never interact with any of them online except through school portals like school email accounts and Google Classroom, which is the educational portal most schools now use for connecting with students digitally. I keep my social media life completely separate from school. Something else we are strongly advised to do.

Honestly, the biggest headache for classroom teachers is all the endless Special Ed paperwork and meetings. Which are endless and endlessly time consuming. Even if you aren't a Special Ed teacher you will likely have a dozen or more mainstreamed Special Ed students in your classroom over the course of the day, each with files of paperwork and special demands. Many of whom aren't really legitimate Special Ed students but might have been identified as such 8 years earlier in 2nd grade and the status has just stuck with them ever since. That is one of the biggest things I don't miss now that I'm kind of semi-retired and only doing substitute teaching and not full time classroom teaching.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Josh wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:50 pm
silentreader wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:19 pm

All of them (even Alberta). So far, Mennonite schools have managed to escape actual compliance with this.
I guess I'm not aware of any conservative Christian schools that do, but I am aware of numerous conservative Christian schools that don't.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I was impressed with the school salary for a married man that I got told about... He makes more then I do :shock: If only I was decent at grammar I could be a teacher!!
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat