Poll: Concealed Weapons among Plain Anabaptists?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

I know that handguns are carried to church by members in "good standing" in these groups -

Total votes: 0

RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Poll: Concealed Weapons among Plain Anabaptists?

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:According to the poll, one might get away with it at a Southeastern or South Atlantic church.
The poll was not about carrying in church...
Why would someone carry it to church, but not into church? They disarm at the door, or vehicle? So these people are “protected” from a car jacking, but not a church shooting?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:I would recommend against staging a Sunday morning heist at your local CMC affiliate.
So would I 8-) but not (in my case) because of armed resistance from a member in good standing.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote:
Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:According to the poll, one might get away with it at a Southeastern or South Atlantic church.
The poll was not about carrying in church...
Why would someone carry it to church, but not into church? They disarm at the door, or vehicle? So these people are “protected” from a car jacking, but not a church shooting?
I misread the poll, this poll actually is about carrying to church. Regardless, I’ve only firsthand heard of it from Keystone, and that involved a young man who also informed me he was planning to join the state highway patrol.

Didn’t seem to slow down his romantic engagements / wedding plans at all, which is why I stand by my statement that this happens and is tolerated in less plain groups and is nonexistent in more plain groups.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Does the "church gun" need to be all-black and sufficiently plain?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote:Does the "church gun" need to be all-black and sufficiently plain?
Ken,

Is there a purpose to your comment above? Exactly what are you trying to communicate?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote:
Ken,

Is there a purpose to your comment above? Exactly what are you trying to communicate?
No chrome allowed! 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote:
Ken,

Humor Josh, humor. Or are you one of those folks for whom "The 2nd Amendment is no Laughing Matter!!"
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Outsider
Affiliation: Church of Christ

Post by Outsider »

Dan Z wrote: I don't know the terminology but I'm assuming an LCCH is a license to conceal carry a handgun or something like that. I'd be interested in hearing more about the legitimate reasons for a non-resistant Christian to license and carry a concealed weapon.
You might have one for shooting snakes or some other type of animal threat in the woods or on your farm- if you live in an area with such threats. (You would generally use rat-shot for that purpose. Which would likely be non-lethal if used against a person.) Cops and the general public get itchy when they see people carry openly.

I used to work at a cloth mill in Atlanta where I used a sheathed knife to cut off rolls of towel material for the endless towel rolls in bathrooms. I wore it on my belt. I forgot to take it off one day on my way home and was approached by a policeman who asked me about it, and then instructed me to conceal it.
0 x
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

Hebrews 1:14
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Outsider

Post by Outsider »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fascinating, but not necessarily surprising, that Siri is more familiar with "racists" than with "righteousness."
Spelin' iz raysis (according to some ivy-league universities).
0 x

Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Outsider

Post by Outsider »

RZehr wrote:Protestant reformer, Heinrich Bullinger in his 1531 book, “Against the Anabaptists”, writes:
Then there are some Anabaptist’s whom one may call the separated from the world. These are very spiritual Anabaptist’s with whom the common Anabaptists still have many similarities. These do not want to have anything in common or like the world., because it is written: “Ye shall not conform to the world.” For this reason, like another monastic order, they make rules about clothing - what they should be made of, in what form and pattern, and how long, wide, or large they should be. Herewith they reject all costly clothing and jewelry - calling all those heathen who use these worldly things...Also they shun all (gay) weddings, parties, revelry, singing and musical instruments.
In addition they reject all oaths and also that one should carry any weapons or arms anywhere.
You'd have to admit a sword wouldn't exactly be the greatest of hunting or varmint tools...
0 x