Anabaptist presence in Ukraine, relief work opportunity

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Anabaptist presence in Ukraine, relief work opportunity

Post by Neto »

Some others have posted links or information regarding anabaptist mission work in Ukraine in various threads, but I decided to create a topic just for this. Feel free to link to other discussions here, or to add more direct info links.

Here is a report from the MB work there. (There are around 20 - 24 MB congregations in Ukraine - I cannot remember the precise number.)

https://anabaptistworld.org/ukrainian-m ... nteLvPB8Ds

(If you cannot access this article, please notify me, and i will post the content as a quotation.)
Last edited by justme on Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title change, per request of temporal, ok by neto
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Anabaptist presence in Ukraine

Post by Sudsy »

PTL ! That is 'of good report'. :up:
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

appreciated.
Swiss Bro wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:31 pm https://www.hilfeetg.ch/

This is the website of the support foundation of the Evangelische Täufergemeinden. Donations will go specifically to our brethren in the Ukraine. Just in case you are looking for a good way to contribute and help.
Karstan78 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:09 am
temporal1 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:07 am
Karstan78 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:59 am https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-russ ... eblog-body

Germany announces they will accept all refugees fleeing.
NPR reports the European Union will help, but the news link is not opening.
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/eu-will-ac ... s/47381110
Does this link work?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Our missionaries all left the country (on the advice of our local members), and most of the members have also tried to leave too - mostly to Poland.

Generally speaking, our younger male members find that they need to leave the Ukraine due to mandatory military service. One young man went to Haiti for a while, and then eventually went to Canada. There is no conscientious objector status or any way to get out of the mandatory conscription. You would get sent to prison, possibly indefinitely.

Another challenge is that, possibly, any Ukrainian men would be in trouble if they ever tried to return because they didn't do the mandatory military service.

Interestingly enough this is why the Russian Mennonites left in 1874 and the situation still has not changed for the better.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:39 am Our missionaries all left the country (on the advice of our local members), and most of the members have also tried to leave too - mostly to Poland.

Generally speaking, our younger male members find that they need to leave the Ukraine due to mandatory military service. One young man went to Haiti for a while, and then eventually went to Canada. There is no conscientious objector status or any way to get out of the mandatory conscription. You would get sent to prison, possibly indefinitely.

Another challenge is that, possibly, any Ukrainian men would be in trouble if they ever tried to return because they didn't do the mandatory military service.

Interestingly enough this is why the Russian Mennonites left in 1874 and the situation still has not changed for the better.

Karstan78 is in Germany. she shared this Jan 27, in another of Ernie’s threads.
she has added a few more posts since, a review of her posts is possible.
Karstan78 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:22 pm Male members in our churches are preparing to be conscripted.
A bit back they started and things cooled down, now tensions are peaking and the members are worried about the hardships coming for those believing non-resistance and if they even offer those positions.

I don’t know much else, just the European churches are trying to help where we can.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Post by Swiss Bro »

I understand that there are nine Nazarene congregations in the Ukraine, i.e. Fröhlich churches or Apostolic Christian Church (Nazarean) as they are called in the US. They are mainly located in the Bukowina at the Romanian border but I don‘t know the exact locations.
2 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

(not Anabaptist)
Sudsy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:10 pm
mike wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:54 pm What are the best places to donate money toward helping Ukrainian refugees?
Here in Canada the Salvation Army has a very high rating on getting the most out of donations to where 'the rubber hits the road'.

https://salvationarmy.ca/blog/salvation ... countries/

I suspect something similar is in the U.S.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i can’t resist sharing here. i hope it’s ok.
(with hopes details won’t be drowned-out by general chatter.)
mike wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:27 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:50 pm
mike wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:54 pm What are the best places to donate money toward helping Ukrainian refugees?
Here are conservative Anabaptist organizations that are glad for immediate funds.
The funds are transferred to aid workers in Europe on a daily basis.
https://www.plainnews.org/wp-content/up ... nels-1.pdf
Thanks for that Ernie.
If anyone is looking for a way to get funds directly and immediately to a family in Poland that is working as we speak to deliver materials to refugees, is housing refugees, and is helping find local housing for refugees, message me, and I will give you a PayPal link.

This family is related to my brother in law and they have lived in Poland for years operating an ESL school, and they are working tirelessly to help the Ukrainian refugees that are pouring in.

He just posted on Facebook 20 minutes ago,
We are learning step by step how to do this better.
Together with our good friends, we are moving toward using apartments (free or for rent) long-term and organizing teams who can help with cleaning, transportation, food, and taking care of details.

Poland is struggling to deal with the influx.
Tonight someone told me that there are 50 very young children “camping” at the train station in Wrocław.
May God have mercy.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

This is a sweet video. i’ve viewed a few times:
mike wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:22 am Friends of ours in Poland posted the following video a few days ago on the Ukrainian refugee crisis. Their lives have been transformed overnight as they have been plunged into this situation, and their work is worth supporting.

1 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Re: Anabaptist presence in Ukraine, relief work opportunity

Post by temporal1 »

This is a link to a helpful first-person account.
In it is another link that leads to ways to help CMC missions in Ukraine. (link below)
ohio jones wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:18 am Here is a perspective from an American who until recently lived in Russia:

Understanding the War in Ukraine

CMC and RI/Rosedale International
https://rosedaleinternational.org/ukraine/
The deadly attacks on Ukraine are causing unprecedented upheaval across the region. In response, CMC and Rosedale International are coordinating relief funds to assist Ukrainian communities of faith.
Giving through RI

MB MULTIPLY:
Funds given through RI (using the “give now” button below or by mail) will go directly to the Association of Mennonite Brethren Churches in Ukraine (AMBCU). The association includes 24 churches and 5 church plants.

Along with churches of other denominations, they are actively working to equip bomb shelters, provide water, food, fuel, and medical supplies, and help others evacuate to safety.

Funds not used for relief will be available for general ministry support to the AMBCU.

Regular updates on the crisis and ways to pray are available at:
multiply.net/ukraine-in-crisis

Other ways to support the people of Ukraine: .. ..
It continues.
0 x

UNKNOWN