Torture in Afghan Prisons

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Torture in Afghan Prisons

Post by Ernie »

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/9/2 ... -prisoners

In your opinion,

What it the likelihood that the stories in this article are mostly true?

What it the likelihood that the Taliban will do better than the Americans and Afghan guards at treating their prisoners humanely?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Torture in Afghan Prisons

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:28 pm https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/9/2 ... -prisoners

In your opinion,

What it the likelihood that the Taliban will do better than the Americans and Afghan guards at treating their prisoners humanely?
I think it is highly likely that the US and its allies used torture and abuse. There was tremendous amounts of information about that with respect to Iraq and Abu Graib. I have no reason to think that Afghanistan was any different. The initial years of the “war on terror” were very much gloves off. And when things reached the line where Americans were reluctant to cross, they often farmed out the worst stuff to other middle eastern ‘allies’ who had were less squeamish about it.

As for whether the Taliban will be better? Who knows. Probably not. Most of the prisons in that part of the world are notoriously harsh.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:28 pm https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/9/2 ... -prisoners

In your opinion,

Why should we read propaganda from an organisation owned and operated by the Qatar government?

Of course, I don't doubt at all that conditions in American-run prisons are bad. Just look at what they are like in America itself. I'm not sure why any of us should have an opinion about it though, other than to make the observation that I would prefer my own country not be busy operating prisons on the opposite side of the globe and tossing people into them.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

In your opinion,

I believe what they say the Americans did and what went on in that prison.

I think the Taliban will initially do better that the Americans did, but as time goes on, and as the heady intoxication of victory and idealism fade, the Taliban will have brutality in their prisons. It probably won't be as bad for their civilians in prison, because they aren't an enemy. I expect the Taliban to be just as brutal when they have an enemy in their prisons.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

I'm hesitant to believe any news anymore. Talking to people at ground level personally is much more reliable.

One of my ex-military friends (England) said he was never really near the front lines of war but was set way back in delivering goods only. He told me that had strict orders for routes to take, distances to keep in their conveys, orders to shoot anyone who pointed anything at them. He said they would drive through towns on delivery runs where innocent civilians were and his comrades would hold out money coaxing children to come near and then around a turn they would throw the money into the middle of the street behind them - when the rest of the convey would turn the corner they would running over children and laugh about it... Is it any wonder the presence of foreign troops causes more war with stuff like this going on but is never reported?!

Ministering to other war vets I can say that much more and much more worse happens and that it is a representative of what Western culture is to these other nations who believe the United States of America is a Christian nation. We would do well to understand how supporting the systems of Western culture really have a poor effect on winning souls.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wade wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:35 pm I'm hesitant to believe any news anymore. Talking to people at ground level personally is much more reliable.

One of my ex-military friends (England) said he was never really near the front lines of war but was set way back in delivering goods only. He told me that had strict orders for routes to take, distances to keep in their conveys, orders to shoot anyone who pointed anything at them. He said they would drive through towns on delivery runs where innocent civilians were and his comrades would hold out money coaxing children to come near and then around a turn they would throw the money into the middle of the street behind them - when the rest of the convey would turn the corner they would running over children and laugh about it... Is it any wonder the presence of foreign troops causes more war with stuff like this going on but is never reported?!

Ministering to other war vets I can say that much more and much more worse happens and that it is a representative of what Western culture is to these other nations who believe the United States of America is a Christian nation. We would do well to understand how supporting the systems of Western culture really have a poor effect on winning souls.
Some of what I know from the military would surprise the people here... We regularly pay off the media to not release things.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat