Intelligence

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Franklin
Affiliation: Old Testament

Intelligence

Post by Franklin »

I used to the think that the loss of good religion is the world's biggest problem. But recent events have changed my mind and I now think that stupidity is the biggest problem. It is well documented that intelligence in the West has been declining since about 1800. The cause is both genetic and environmental. The environmental problem is easier to address so I think this should be the first focus.

What is needed is to develop intelligence in children as much as possible by exercising their brains. I think the most useful tool is games like chess and Go. Good puzzles are also useful. And a math curriculum focused on understanding is also good.

Intelligence does relate to religion. Religion teaches good versus evil in principle. But applying those principles to distinguish good from evil for modern questions requires intelligence. Stupid people will fail and will say that evil things are good, not because of bad intentions, but because they are simply too stupid to have good judgement.

So I would like to know if there is any chance that Mennonites would address this issue and promote intelligence in children. I am planning to move abroad and I will look for a church or mosque with conservative values that is willing to address the issue of intelligence, and move near it.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Intelligence

Post by steve-in-kville »

Franklin wrote: So I would like to know if there is any chance that Mennonites would address this issue and promote intelligence in children. I am planning to move abroad and I will look for a church or mosque with conservative values that is willing to address the issue of intelligence, and move near it.
Intelligence can be sliced in numerous ways: There is "book smarts," common sense, and somewhere in between is the healthy balance. The decline of common sense (in my opinion) has a lot to do with social media, the web and so forth. No one learns anything for themselves any more. How many times have you heard the phrase "just look it up" or "google it"?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

There is also a direct link between the study of music and cognitive development in children. And, for that matter, between the study of music and retention of cognitive skills in the elderly. There has been a lot of research in this area. For example: https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.5406/bu ... 0089?seq=1

If cultivating cognitive ability is a concern of yours, then I would search out churches that don't discourage or prohibit the study of music, especially instrumental music, which is far more complex and cognitive than vocal music.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Ken wrote:There is also a direct link between the study of music and cognitive development in children. And, for that matter, between the study of music and retention of cognitive skills in the elderly. There has been a lot of research in this area. For example: https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.5406/bu ... 0089?seq=1
Do you have access to the full article so that you can post it here? I would like to see evidence for this. Here is some evidence for Go, for example.
If cultivating cognitive ability is a concern of yours, then I would search out churches that don't discourage or prohibit the study of music, especially instrumental music, which is far more complex and cognitive than vocal music.
Even if music does work, this may be a problem for more conservative Mennonites and Muslims for religious reasons.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Franklin wrote:I used to the think that the loss of good religion is the world's biggest problem. But recent events have changed my mind and I now think that stupidity is the biggest problem. It is well documented that intelligence in the West has been declining since about 1800. The cause is both genetic and environmental. The environmental problem is easier to address so I think this should be the first focus.

What is needed is to develop intelligence in children as much as possible by exercising their brains. I think the most useful tool is games like chess and Go. Good puzzles are also useful. And a math curriculum focused on understanding is also good.

Intelligence does relate to religion. Religion teaches good versus evil in principle. But applying those principles to distinguish good from evil for modern questions requires intelligence. Stupid people will fail and will say that evil things are good, not because of bad intentions, but because they are simply too stupid to have good judgement.

So I would like to know if there is any chance that Mennonites would address this issue and promote intelligence in children. I am planning to move abroad and I will look for a church or mosque with conservative values that is willing to address the issue of intelligence, and move near it.
If intelligent people ( I take this to refer to high IQ people) then I would think according to scripture those people would be model Christ followers. However, this is not the case although some may have high IQs. I believe good judgments can be had by the lowest of IQs when people put their trust in God and His Word. As for exercising ones brain, the scriptures are a good source to use reasoning and the Holy Spirit is available to direct us into what is most needed.

Perhaps I didn't understand you properly so feel free to help me understand better. Thank-you.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

steve-in-kville wrote:Intelligence can be sliced in numerous ways: There is "book smarts," common sense, and somewhere in between is the healthy balance. The decline of common sense (in my opinion) has a lot to do with social media, the web and so forth. No one learns anything for themselves any more. How many times have you heard the phrase "just look it up" or "google it"?
Actually it is worse than that. There is clear evidence that modern technology harms general intelligence in children. Thankfully conservative Mennonites don't poison their children with modern technology.
0 x
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Sudsy wrote:If intelligent people ( I take this to refer to high IQ people) then I would think according to scripture those people would be model Christ followers.
Why? Intelligence just allows one to more successfully pursue one's goals. Most intelligent people today are evil, and their goals are evil, and they successfully pursue their evil goals. Why would you think such people would be model Christians?
As for exercising ones brain, the scriptures are a good source to use reasoning and the Holy Spirit is available to direct us into what is most needed.
Yes, vigorous debate about scripture is good for the mind, but is mostly for adults. Children don't have enough perspective to do this. They need more limited domains.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Auto correct doesn't help things either. Even I am getting lazy....
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Franklin wrote:
Ken wrote:There is also a direct link between the study of music and cognitive development in children. And, for that matter, between the study of music and retention of cognitive skills in the elderly. There has been a lot of research in this area. For example: https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.5406/bu ... 0089?seq=1
Do you have access to the full article so that you can post it here? I would like to see evidence for this. Here is some evidence for Go, for example.
Even if music does work, this may be a problem for more conservative Mennonites and Muslims for religious reasons.
There have been hundreds of articles on the connection between music education and cognitive development. In fact some colleges will even allow you to use music theory classes to meet mathematics requirements. Here is another full-text study: https://rockandrolldaycare.com/wp-conte ... opment.pdf But you will find hundreds of sources and popular articles by just googling: https://www.google.com/search?q=music+e ... evelopment

I realize that some conservative churches have problems with music, especially instrumental music. I'm just pointing out that this is inconsistent with maximizing cognitive development of children. Over the years I have concluded that the two areas most lacking in public education are music education and physical education. So I expect my children to supplement their schooling with both music and fitness outside of school. I don't particularly care whether it is piano or violin or flute or cello as long as they are doing something musical. Likewise, I don't particularly care if they are doing soccer or volleyball or track as long as they are exercising and staying fit.

Instrumental music is also better than singing for cognitive development because it is so much more cognitively complex. Here is an ordinary piano score for a Chopin Etude. Try singing this all on your own. Can't be done.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Franklin wrote:
Sudsy wrote:If intelligent people ( I take this to refer to high IQ people) then I would think according to scripture those people would be model Christ followers.
Why? Intelligence just allows one to more successfully pursue one's goals. Most intelligent people today are evil, and their goals are evil, and they successfully pursue their evil goals. Why would you think such people would be model Christians?
As for exercising ones brain, the scriptures are a good source to use reasoning and the Holy Spirit is available to direct us into what is most needed.
Yes, vigorous debate about scripture is good for the mind, but is mostly for adults. Children don't have enough perspective to do this. They need more limited domains.
Sorry, I was taking from your post that intelligence was needed to be a model Christian but it seems I mis-understood. I do not think model Christians need a high level of IQ. Actually it seems those with high IQ intelligence find it hard to accept some things they cannot understand and must accept by faith.

Regarding children I was raised with Sunday School teachings which can lay a good foundation for a walk of faith. I dont know why some Anabaptists are opposed to this kind of training but much of my scripture memorization and Bible story knowledge came through dedicated Sunday School teachers.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit