Premonitions??

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Premonitions??

Post by steve-in-kville »

Premonition:
A strong feeling that something is about to happen, especially something unpleasant.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there such a thing as the opposite, like something great is about to happen?

Discuss.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Premonitions??

Post by MaxPC »

I have had them. Usually it's my subconscious logically assembling observations and making predictions either at a higher level of cognition or simply via an emotional sense of precognition for good or ill. IMO God designed our brains to be able to do this for our safety.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
shadrach
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by shadrach »

I'm not sure that I can say I have experienced this personally. Other than worries that didn't come true, or anticipations that I squelched for fear they would also prove false.
0 x
I like to write sometimes, but not to study.
I like to talk, but not to listen.
I like to make people laugh, but I am not funny.
I like to plan, but not to do.

I am probably the youngest member, so any rebuke is not out of place, but welcome.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

One day in 1974, Bill Gaither said "I just feel like something good is about to happen" and sat down and wrote a song about it. He's been collecting royalties on that ever since, so from his perspective he was probably right.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
shadrach
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by shadrach »

ohio jones wrote:One day in 1974, Bill Gaither said "I just feel like something good is about to happen" and sat down and wrote a song about it. He's been collecting royalties on that ever since, so from his perspective he was probably right.
:lol: :roll:
0 x
I like to write sometimes, but not to study.
I like to talk, but not to listen.
I like to make people laugh, but I am not funny.
I like to plan, but not to do.

I am probably the youngest member, so any rebuke is not out of place, but welcome.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I'm really good at just getting a "feel" for when it's time to wake up, time to leave for the airport, time to get up and walk to the gate, etc. right when the final boarding call for my flight is happening. This seems to work for me regardless of country, airport, boarding time, airline, etc.

Of course, it could just be that I travel so much that I have an unconscious awareness of various cues that it's time to leave.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:time to get up and walk to the gate, etc. right when the final boarding call for my flight is happening
I suppose everyone has their own preference on the continuum between gate lice and lounge lizard, but I typically arrive at the gate around the time my boarding group is called, or slightly before. A few times at unfamiliar airports, though, I've thought I was allowing some extra time to be on the safe side, only to find the gate area deserted except for a single agent who slams the door behind me. Those have been times of amonition rather than premonition, I guess.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote:I have had them. Usually it's my subconscious logically assembling observations and making predictions either at a higher level of cognition or simply via an emotional sense of precognition for good or ill. IMO God designed our brains to be able to do this for our safety.

Perhaps the saying, "reading between the lines" comes into play here?

When we joined our current fellowship, part of the application process involved taking a Gift Analyses Assessment. I think it was over 100 questions. Turns out my strongest gift was discernment. So basically a can predict the future and therefore I must be a profit of some kind. Pretty awesome if you ask me ;) .
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote:
MaxPC wrote:I have had them. Usually it's my subconscious logically assembling observations and making predictions either at a higher level of cognition or simply via an emotional sense of precognition for good or ill. IMO God designed our brains to be able to do this for our safety.

Perhaps the saying, "reading between the lines" comes into play here?

When we joined our current fellowship, part of the application process involved taking a Gift Analyses Assessment. I think it was over 100 questions. Turns out my strongest gift was discernment. So basically a can predict the future and therefore I must be a profit of some kind. Pretty awesome if you ask me ;) .
Those are also the qualities of a good researcher. Yes, awesome!
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Absolutely
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do