Have you ever wondered why...

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Have you ever wondered why...

Post by MaxPC »

A thread for things you think about and wondered "why?"

Why do people build homes on a volcano that's categorized as active because of its eruptions in recent decades?

Why do people continue to rebuild a coastal city (New Orleans) that's on average 6 feet below sea level and is in the direct hit zone for hurricanes? Why not move the city farther inland?

I think about that kind of stuff sometimes :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Have you ever wondered why...

Post by Heirbyadoption »

MaxPC wrote:A thread for things you think about and wondered "why?"

Why do people build homes on a volcano that's categorized as active because of its eruptions in recent decades?

Why do people continue to rebuild a coastal city (New Orleans) that's on average 6 feet below sea level and is in the direct hit zone for hurricanes? Why not move the city farther inland?

I think about that kind of stuff sometimes :lol:
Inherited property, sentimentality, heritage, financial inability to move, inability to sell, lack of motivation leading to willingness to risk (this is as big as any), etc...
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I grew up in what people call "tornado alley". People say the same thing about living there. You get used to it. Why do people live in places where winter is long and brutal? (That's what I'm asking myself, because that's where I'm living now.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Neto wrote:I grew up in what people call "tornado alley". People say the same thing about living there. You get used to it. Why do people live in places where winter is long and brutal? (That's what I'm asking myself, because that's where I'm living now.)
Hang on a bit and global warming will turn it into a paradise...

All the people living in areas turning into deserts or being flooded out will move to your area, and you can sell out for a fortune. Then you can move to northern Canada to get away from all.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

lesterb wrote:
Neto wrote:I grew up in what people call "tornado alley". People say the same thing about living there. You get used to it. Why do people live in places where winter is long and brutal? (That's what I'm asking myself, because that's where I'm living now.)
Hang on a bit and global warming will turn it into a paradise...

All the people living in areas turning into deserts or being flooded out will move to your area, and you can sell out for a fortune. Then you can move to northern Canada to get away from all.
I do have a tropical tree (Malay Apple) in my shop, just waiting for this to turn into jungle type climate.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

I wonder why I can't get over the habit of looking at MennoNet to see what's going on. Does anyone else feel like its turned into a time-waster most of the time?

Ditto for FaceBook. Ditto for Twitter. Ditto for Google+.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

lesterb wrote:I wonder why I can't get over the habit of looking at MennoNet to see what's going on. Does anyone else feel like its turned into a time-waster most of the time?

Yes. But it's addicting....
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote:
lesterb wrote:I wonder why I can't get over the habit of looking at MennoNet to see what's going on. Does anyone else feel like its turned into a time-waster most of the time?

Yes. But it's addicting....
i have an odd reason. i hope others do not.
i take med for diabetes that makes me so tired. esp in mornings.
worse than tired. in mornings, i can be a bit dizzy, doctors say, not to get up too quickly, etc.

it’s a real bummer. i fantasize about throwing meds out!

i can read+post to pass the time. later in the day, i get over it, and can do things normally.
this, 7 days weekly. :evil:
i used to be:
an annoying “early-to-riser,” active with exercise and work-work-work. this slows me down.
i’m glad i enjoyed working hard when i was able. i did. i’d love to be there again.

historically, this forum gets quieter with fewer active members present in spring+summer, naturally, variety of topics changes, according to who-is-present. one example: typically, apppleman is absent in spring-summer. if he’s present in summer, not good! that means problems-in-the-orchards. :shock:

lots of forum members have seasonal work. it’s real life.
the forum affects real life, real life affects the forum. :lol:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Because this where we live - we experience all the seasons (although I remember discussions this afternoon about 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledding.) We would not exchange our home here where we have winter in exchange for a home in tornado valley or flood prone areas or places where summer heat seems unbearable or some place where we would fall under Donald Trump's jurisdiction.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Hats Off wrote:
Because this where we live - we experience all the seasons (although I remember discussions this afternoon about 9 months of winter and 3 months of poor sledding.) We would not exchange our home here where we have winter in exchange for a home in tornado valley or flood prone areas or places where summer heat seems unbearable or some place where we would fall under Donald Trump's jurisdiction.
But have you ever experienced rainy season and dry season? (And a sudden cold snap in the middle of July, when the temp drops to 50* (or around 10, in that funny temperature), and the cold south wind whips through your house, because you have no glass in the windows, and no way to close them? And no heat in the house, either?)
0 x