Fad Words and Phrases du Jour

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Fad Words and Phrases du Jour

Post by MaxPC »

I've noticed in the more liberal news media the excessive use of the word(s) "tribes", tribal and "tribalistic" especially when describing an opposing political party. It seems that by using this nomenclature it's a backhanded way of denigrating the opposition as "primitive". Partisanship is everywhere.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Fad Words and Phrases du Jour

Post by temporal1 »

it would be nice to limit usage.
one of my family members constantly refers to children as, “kiddos.”
so irritating.

so far, i have not thought of a way to (stop it.) :P

i found a list of the “10 Most Annoying Words.” it’s on there. :lol:
still. no change.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Google Trends disagrees; "tribal" is actually showing up less in the news than it used to:

0 x
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

I usually make a point when I catch myself using an common phrase to think of some other way to say it in plain language.

It is a necessary discipline sometimes just to clarify my own thinking. Because when I use a catch phrase, I am invoking a complex of associated ideas which tends to slip in under the radar without critical scrutiny. The process of pulling the phrase apart and re-expressing it in other words brings those ideas into the light of day.
A man may take to drink because he feels himself to be a failure, and then fail all the more completely because he drinks. It is rather the same thing that is happening to the English language. It becomes ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts. The point is that the process is reversible. Modern English, especially written English, is full of bad habits which spread by imitation and which can be avoided if one is willing to take the necessary trouble. If one gets rid of these habits one can think more clearly, and to think clearly is a necessary first step toward political regeneration.

George Orwell, Politics and the English Language
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

haithabu wrote:I usually make a point when I catch myself using an common phrase to think of some other way to say it in plain language.

It is a necessary discipline sometimes just to clarify my own thinking. Because when I use a catch phrase, I am invoking a complex of associated ideas which tends to slip in under the radar without critical scrutiny. The process of pulling the phrase apart and re-expressing it in other words brings those ideas into the light of day.
A man may take to drink because he feels himself to be a failure, and then fail all the more completely because he drinks. It is rather the same thing that is happening to the English language. It becomes ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts. The point is that the process is reversible. Modern English, especially written English, is full of bad habits which spread by imitation and which can be avoided if one is willing to take the necessary trouble. If one gets rid of these habits one can think more clearly, and to think clearly is a necessary first step toward political regeneration.

George Orwell, Politics and the English Language
wise thinking.
i wish i could believe young people today were getting similar English and values lessons emphasized in earlier times.

i am not encouraged to visit a “very good” public elementary school where i hear teachers using words like, “awesome!” and, “cool!” more than the children. today’s teachers (and principals) and parents, seem preoccupied with being the children’s best buds rather than taking a position of adult role models. especially in modeling how to avoid use of slang in speaking and writing. is this now passe’?
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote:Google Trends disagrees; "tribal" is actually showing up less in the news than it used to:

do a chart for MN. i believe it might reflect your chart, with a recent spike.
0 x

UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Tribalism and tribalistic mindset are well known social phenomena. They're not a political rewording for "primitive", in my opinion.
If tribalism was an insult towards the "right" by the left, why do we see it decreasing since Trump came to term?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Tribalism and tribalistic mindset are well known social phenomena. They're not a political rewording for "primitive", in my opinion.
If tribalism was an insult towards the "right" by the left, why do we see it decreasing since Trump came to term?
.. because the words, “death to trump,” “impeachment,” “hate,” are so much more dramatic and to the point? :-|
0 x

UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

temporal1 wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Tribalism and tribalistic mindset are well known social phenomena. They're not a political rewording for "primitive", in my opinion.
.. because the words, “death to trump,” “impeachment,” “hate,” are so much more dramatic and to the point? :-|
Exactly. Don't forget the memes of holding up a bloodied severed "Trump head".
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God