The Universe Does NOT Exist

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

The Universe Does NOT Exist

Post by lesterb »

Hmm. Any thoughts on this article about the "god particle"?
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: The Universe Does NOT Exist

Post by Hats Off »

No - much too deep for me- plus I have an awful headache tonight.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

lesterb wrote:Hmm. Any thoughts on this article about the "god particle"?
It’s a little off - AIG has been on a crusade against an expanding universe for quite some time, and they’re cherry picking the evidence here to support their view. Russel Humphreys (author of Starlight and Time, a book I’d recommend reading) has a better answer to this problem.

Ultimately, stars that are very very far away are more and more red shifted, until eventually they can’t be seen at all, implying the universe is expanding at a rate that can even exceed the speed of light. I don’t see how this implies at all that God did not create the universe.
0 x
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

The article website is "down for maintenance" so I'll just shoot from the lip.

I think the main question is not whether the universe exists but whether it is self-existent. The answer is that it is not.

And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. Hebrews 1:3
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

haithabu wrote:
I think the main question is not whether the universe exists but whether it is self-existent. The answer is that it is not.

And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. Hebrews 1:3
I agree. I'd also like to add Romans 11:36
For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory for ever. Amen.

As to the article itself, I think it's important to understand that it's one part of a whole: that there is an ongoing discussion in science circles that, like any group, will go back and forth and eventually stumble on new perceptions from a creative collective of scientific thought.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:
It’s a little off - AIG has been on a crusade against an expanding universe for quite some time, and they’re cherry picking the evidence here to support their view. Russel Humphreys (author of Starlight and Time, a book I’d recommend reading) has a better answer to this problem.

Ultimately, stars that are very very far away are more and more red shifted, until eventually they can’t be seen at all, implying the universe is expanding at a rate that can even exceed the speed of light. I don’t see how this implies at all that God did not create the universe.
Are creation.com and Answers in Genesis related to each other? Creation.com runs some material written by Ken Ham, but can't find anything on there that would indicate that the two are non-arms-length.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

This, as in all areas of sceince and study, shows that we only know little and everything can change over, what seems like a small minuet change in understanding.

Everything does connect, but proving that is often difficult.

We exist. The universe exists. We are ye to figure out exactly how. I guess we just have to take it on faith.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

The mathematical models that describe the physical universe need to be refined. That's no surprise. I don't think one can conclude that "Therefore the science of how the universe started in a big bang is all in the dark" as the author of the article does.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Robert wrote:This, as in all areas of sceince and study, shows that we only know little and everything can change over, what seems like a small minuet change in understanding.

Everything does connect, but proving that is often difficult.

We exist. The universe exists. We are ye to figure out exactly how. I guess we just have to take it on faith.
I suspect that God is always going to leave us in the dark about enough things so that we will always need some faith. Who knows what will be what in ten years. The latest ideas are always the best ones yet, but a fairly high percentage of them don't survive in the long term (or even the short term, in some cases).
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Here is a TED talk by Brian Greene. What do you think of this one?
0 x