Seekers Gathering 2018 long thread

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Seekers Gathering April 27-29, 2018 ???

Total votes: 0

PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Re: Seekers Gathering 2018

Post by PeterG »

I was only able to be there on Saturday, but I enjoyed my time at the gathering very much. It was highly worthwhile.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Justme dropped by, and Andrew (can't remember his username right now) also.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

mike wrote:Justme dropped by, and Andrew (can't remember his username right now) also.

Jazzman
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Page 16:
DarkShallNotPrevail wrote:
francis wrote:I am also looking forward to pictures! Sadly being in school forces me to miss most of these.
:arrow: Some of us are working on a similar gathering this August in Northeast PA!
The idea is slightly more geared towards younger seekers. Feel free to contact me if you're interested in more information (once we actually have more information; we only started planning this weekend!)
i hope this comes together for you. :D
perhaps start an invitation thread similar to this one?

it seems, there is interest in more gatherings, i hope there will be more.
mike, Once Again .. others earlier in this thread?

it would be interesting if, somehow, gatherings could be “tracked,” as spin-offs of this gathering.
i’m not sure how that could be done .. it’s not the most important part. still, it’s interesting to see how things unfold over time.

there is a sense of vitality coming out of this gathering that can be felt - even remotely!
it’s an honor to be a witness.

thank you - especially, thanks to Ernie. :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

I enjoyed the brief time I was there on Sat; I was sorry I couldn't stay longer (but my wife/family were happy that I didn't leave them in downtown Lewistown with the rain coming down any longer than I did)
It was good to hear Dan's overview of the 4 Anabaptist pillars or distinctives, and it would have been nice to discuss them further with others there.
#4, the hermeneutic community I think continues to, and maybe will always, perplex me... I absolutely believe it's a worthy, even sacred goal, but in real life it seems more elusive than realized. I'm watching a doc, The Amish: Shunned and along with my own parents and others' experience, the Amish hermeneutic community with the fear and coercion that is often employed to maintain the community, just doesn't seem like the best way. But numbers-wise, it's pretty successful; they continue to grow & spread.
And now me, being on the flip side, the Protestant evangelical wing, where there's basically no accountability and certainly no sense of a hermeneutic community that decides things together (everything being individualized), I sometimes, at least in particular areas, wish for some kind of group decision making and a way to "enforce" it... but enforce without the fear or the all or nothing amish shunning approach. Every time I hear the stories of the one that left and how awful they felt and how they were sure it meant going to hell if they left... that breaks my heart. I wish strict Anabaptist (or any like) communities could develop a way to let the feeling-out-of-place-seeker go, without the relational trauma; but maybe that's only possible in the more acculturated, individualistic Christianities...
Dan talked about non-Anabaptist seekers finding the process of fitting into a hermeneutic community tough, and I wonder sometimes if we put too much of the blame for that on them. Maybe the community or community leadership could improve things as well, with the help of Scripture/Spirit/history to make the going easier for the seeker coming into such a community? Would be interested in hearing thoughts from anyone who was present.
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Seekers Gathering 2020 - May 8-10

Post by Josh »

As I see Holdemans specifically are banned from attending, will anything be recorded so I could listen in?
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Yes, we hope to have recordings.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote:As I see Holdemans specifically are banned from attending, will anything be recorded so I could listen in?
Where do you see that??
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Josh wrote:As I see Holdemans specifically are banned from attending, will anything be recorded so I could listen in?
Where do you see that??
Bottom left of the first page. That was put in specifically to exclude me.
0 x