Miscellaneous mental meanderings

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Reflecting
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Miscellaneous mental meanderings

Post by Reflecting »

I also find Ephesians 4:25-26 very powerful verses.
25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

Tied together, the message is clear: be truthful about your feelings even when you were upset but DO NOT SIN.

... now to live up to the truth we know...

Have a blessed day and may God strengthen us to walk worthy.
0 x
”reflectthelight” in MDland
Reflecting

Post by Reflecting »

Jeremiah 17:16 says “ therefore pray not for this people, neither lift up cry nor prayer for them, neither make intercession to me: for I will not hear thee.”
This just really struck me!
Was this written only to a very specific people regarding a very specific incident?
Is there any instruction for us to apply to life?

I DO know God cannot bless when someone continues to walk in their own willful way. Should we take care in using the common phrase, “God bless you!” ?
Or do you use it with the understanding you are also saying “live in such a way you CAN BE in the way of the blessings of God!” ?

What think you?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Reflecting wrote:Jeremiah 17:16 says “ therefore pray not for this people, neither lift up cry nor prayer for them, neither make intercession to me: for I will not hear thee.”
Was this written only to a very specific people regarding a very specific incident?

I DO know God cannot bless when someone continues to walk in their own willful way. Should we take care in using the common phrase, “God bless you!” ?
Or do you use it with the understanding you are also saying “live in such a way you CAN BE in the way of the blessings of God!” ?

What think you?
These are really good questions I haven't thought about before. I certainly wouldn't say "God bless you" to a satan worshipper. Perhaps the "God bless you" phrase should be re-visited in light of Matthew 5:33-37 simply because it's so commonly used now when someone sneezes?

What would be a suitable substitute for this phrase?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I don't say "God bless you".

For a sneeze I'll usually just say "excuse you" in a friendly tone.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I don't say "God bless you".

For a sneeze I'll usually just say "excuse you" in a friendly tone.
"Gesundheit!" works well too, or "live long and prosper."
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Reflecting wrote:Jeremiah 17:16 says “ therefore pray not for this people, neither lift up cry nor prayer for them, neither make intercession to me: for I will not hear thee.”

What think you?
You probably meant Jeremiah 7:16? And yes, I would say the context shows it was for a specific people at a specific time.
I would be hesitant about ceasing intercession for anyone, think Stephen, for instance, but wishing a wilful sinner "God's blessing" is not the right thing to do, IMO.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

What think you?
I think this account is specific.
I think we need to be careful how we approach prayer and blessing in our application.

I say it in a way intending that God's will be done - since it is God blessing them. Sometimes chastening is a big blessing too.

These verses come to mind:
"Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you." - Jesus

"I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;" - 1 Timothy 2:1

I think it is critical to remember how Jesus defines blessing though - for one example, Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor."
0 x
Reflecting

Post by Reflecting »

I’ll not quote it all here as it would be large, but I’m quite curious as to why Colossians 4:1 wasn’t put in chapter 3 as they created the chapter and verse divisions. Any thoughts? What am I missing?
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Reflecting wrote:I’ll not quote it all here as it would be large, but I’m quite curious as to why Colossians 4:1 wasn’t put in chapter 3 as they created the chapter and verse divisions. Any thoughts? What am I missing?
Maybe the verse-makers wanted to separate the part about masters from the words about equality?
0 x
Reflecting

Post by Reflecting »

I was struck this morning with how we see the Bible through the filter of what we believe. When we do this we have things backwards!
But explain to me how we aught to understand 1 Timothy 6:1-2 especially, but also in context.

Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.
2 And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort.

It seems to me to NOT be against slavery if that is the culture in which you live.
It even goes on, it seems to me, to teach directly against seeking to change that culture. Verses 3-5
3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

And to give instruction how to please God as a slave.

6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

And how to view your master with compassion and concern.

9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Idk, verses 6 on can apply to all of us and could have applied to the slave or to the master, but I’m not sure how we as freedom loving people understand verses 1-5.
Does my worldview align with scripture?
I wish I could understand this differently, because I don’t want to change my position on slavery and that is a scary place to be.
0 x