temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Seekers Gathering 2018

Post by temporal1 »

mike wrote:
temporal1 wrote:Ernie -
i got this message on your link:
This page isn't available
The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.
Corrected Link:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Penn-Val ... 9271608449
still unsure ..
this link opened to PVCR FB page, but, no current posts, or links to recordings Ernie listed above.

i “liked” the page, no change.
maybe “friend” their page? ..
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

temporal1 wrote:
mike wrote:
temporal1 wrote:Ernie -
i got this message on your link:
Corrected Link:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Penn-Val ... 9271608449
still unsure ..
this link opened to PVCR FB page, but, no current posts, or links to recordings Ernie listed above.

i “liked” the page, no change.
maybe “friend” their page? ..
The PVCR Facebook page is not official, just a Facebook local listing. In other words the retreat center has not claimed the page and does not use it. But it's a place to get their address if you want to write them. Here's the info again if anybody missed it from earlier. I know they accept credit cards, so you can probably call them during their business hours and pay for them over the phone. If you talk to a nice young lady named Heather, tell her that her brother in law sent you. :)

Penn Valley Christian Retreat
7980 Ferguson Valley Road
McVeytown, PA 17051
717-899-5000
pennvalleycr at gmail dot com

The sessions were recorded via Penn Valley's audio system, and they include the Q&As after each session (up to 80 minutes). If you want the Q&As, which were interesting, you want to get these. They have to be ordered from Penn Valley.

We also video recorded the sessions (without the Q&As) using an iPhone, and Ernie says that these will be posted if they turned out OK. So hopefully we'll have those soon. You'll get to hear and see Dan, Wayne, Ernie, and David Bercot's talks. Please don't miss David Bercot's -- he got in some really good jabs at Dan's suspenders and beard that you will not want to miss. :)
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

thank you, and bless you. big help. :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
mike

Post by mike »

As always, one of the pleasures of a gathering like this is the people you meet. It was nice to meet cmbl, GaryK, Josh, and YorkandAdams for the first time. And to see PeterG, Wayne and family, Dan and family, Ernie and family, and more. I'm sure I'm missing a few. I would guess that 1/3 to 1/2 the group were MennoNet members and their families. It was a diverse group, including members or attendees from such groups as the Conservative Friends, Old Order River Brethren, Mennonites, Beachy Amish, and the NJ State Police. :)

The stories of folks who have interest or experience in joining conservative Anabaptist groups were particularly impacting. I talked to one young man who decided to join the OORB and it seems not to have been a major challenge. Others are really struggling hard. There is much to be learned by both "seekers" and "cradle Anabaptists" when cultures merge. It was very good to be there. There were a number of single folks whose zeal to follow Jesus in a radical way was quite inspiring.

It was a great place to take my children, particularly my older sons. The exposure to people of a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences, and hearing hard issues being discussed, is really good for them. It's a bit of a chore to make something like this happen with a larger family, but it was worth it.

I would like to thank Ernie for the work of organizing the gathering.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I would like to thank those who came and made it a good experience.

As some of you know, for quite a number of years I have been wishing for a gathering where I could take seeker friends and not be worried that they would be negatively impacted. I had just a bit of anxiety going into this, in light of how disappointed I have been in the past, but it wasn't long until I was quite relaxed.

One of the men who came with me, who has attended both KFW and Faith Builders, commented that of the three, this is the one he enjoyed the most and affected him the most. When I asked him why, he explained that the stories of what it cost various attendees to follow the teachings of Jesus had an effect on him. Everyone is different and at a different place in their journey, but I thought this was significant as I think about future events.
Stories of counting the cost and being unwilling to compromise are powerful.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

mike wrote:It was a diverse group, including members or attendees from such groups as the Conservative Friends, Old Order River Brethren, Mennonites, Beachy Amish, and the NJ State Police. :)
Can those of you that attended help me remember the "growing up worldviews" that were represented in our gathering?

Catholic, Jehovah's Witness, Jewish, Evangelical Protestant, Church of the Brethren, Hillsong, Washington/Franklin Conference, Beachy Amish-Mennonite, Mennonite Christian Fellowship, Hutterite,

As well as other churches that were tried along the way.
York and Adams Conf., Charity type churches, Bruderhof, Church of God in Christ Mennonite,
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
mike

Post by mike »

Ernie wrote:
mike wrote:It was a diverse group, including members or attendees from such groups as the Conservative Friends, Old Order River Brethren, Mennonites, Beachy Amish, and the NJ State Police. :)
Can those of you that attended help me remember the "growing up worldviews" that were represented in our gathering?

Catholic, Jehovah's Witness, Jewish, Evangelical Protestant, Church of the Brethren, Hillsong, Washington/Franklin Conference, Beachy Amish-Mennonite, Mennonite Christian Fellowship, Hutterite,

As well as other churches that were tried along the way.
York and Adams Conf., Charity type churches, Bruderhof, Church of God in Christ Mennonite,
Church of God, Amish
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I'm pleased that it went well, Ernie. We pray that your efforts will continue to be successful for the glory of God.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

One of the things that encouraged me most about the Seekers Gathering was the amount of young people who attended. There was a lot of zeal there for authentic Christianity. The NT Kingdom goes on! PTL!
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

GaryK wrote:One of the things that encouraged me most about the Seekers Gathering was the amount of young people who attended. There was a lot of zeal there for authentic Christianity. The NT Kingdom goes on! PTL!
Same here Gary. There was a strong "Millenial" cohort represented, singles and young couples. This was hugely encouraging. In fact, there is even talk about a "Young Seekers" get-together as an organic outgrowth of this event.
0 x