White Privilege?

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: White Privilege?

Post by barnhart »

RZehr wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:03 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:27 pm White people are an estimated 59% of the US population.
In a pure democracy, that is racist, I would think that 59% majority would ensure a 100% white political class.
I don't think an examination of the extremes is the only way to analyze the situation. I actually think the US is one of the best examples of a diverse, power sharing Nation. One factor that has helped in the past is the willingness to examine failure and imagine how it could be improved.
2 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:34 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:27 pm White people are an estimated 59% of the US population.

Meanwhile, this is Congress:
So are you are saying a person of color can not represent me? I can think of multiple ones that could.
I am saying absolutely NOTHING of the sort.

I am simply pointing out that we don't live in a color blind society. Being white does, indeed, provide advantages or "privileges" if you will, especially in the avenues of power. In politics, in business, in education, and so forth.

Does that mean it is impossible for non-white people to rise to the top? No, of course not. We no longer live with Jim Crow segregation. There are obvious counter-examples from Obama to Clarence Thomas. That is why we call it "white privilege" and not "white supremacy" or some other term. But being white still provides advantages in this society from top to bottom. Some of them subtle, some less so.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ken

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:03 pm
In a pure democracy, that is racist, I would think that 59% majority would ensure a 100% white political class.
And in a pure democracy that has zero racism, our political class would reflect the diversity that exists in America.

At present we are somewhere in-between. Moreso in one party than the other.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Neto wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:47 pm If the imbalances in politics is the context, then it is class privilege. It requires vast amounts of capital to get elected. Lower economic class people (and largely lower middle class as well) have very little chance of ever being considered as viable candidates.
And in this country, class and race are intermingled. Neither power nor wealth is distributed in any sort of color-blind manner.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

barnhart wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:52 pm I don't think an examination of the extremes is the only way to analyze the situation. I actually think the US is one of the best examples of a diverse, power sharing Nation. One factor that has helped in the past is the willingness to examine failure and imagine how it could be improved.
Indeed.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:11 pm
I am simply pointing out that we don't live in a color blind society. Being white does, indeed, provide advantages or "privileges" if you will, especially in the avenues of power. In politics, in business, in education, and so forth.
You seem to be less color blind than me.

I also am offended by the term "white privilege."
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Laudatefan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:53 am To many of us, our communities are too ethnically monolithic.
What's wrong with that? Most communities are.
I'm wondering if the phrase "white privilege" is helpful or offensive? Here is some food for thought on the topic.
Offensive.
How can we better diversify? For those in the Lancaster area, there are even small groups offered on this topic. It seems more important than the amount of air time that it is getting.
Why should we try to "diversify"? What's wrong with people settling in communities with other people similar to them?
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:39 pmWhy should we try to "diversify"? What's wrong with people settling in communities with other people similar to them?
Nothing is wrong with it in theory.

But in practice what you describe is often achieved through long histories of discrimination both overt and covert. And that is, in fact, both wrong and sinful.
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

There are more Mennonite Brethren people of color than Mennonite Brethren people of no color. Does that make me less privileged then others when I was an MB? I think not.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

White privilege, huh? I recall listening to NPR when a black lady was laughing about having visited France; she tried to break into the front of a line like she was used to in this country, but it didn't work there.
1 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.