Evidence only.

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Evidence only.

Post by temporal1 »

Franklin:
Most of the book is detailed case studies of each tribe which isn't that interesting but is hard evidence. Probably the most interesting part of the book is the historical part which starts on page 368 by discussing Christian marriage.
i'll look for it.
Franklin:
And of course a study like this must be old since academia is no longer interested in truth.
i appreciate your observation. i have wondered about older books being destroyed to be replaced by newer publications, or not replaced, at all.

folks might want to keep an eye on their local libraries.
nearby, we experienced a big scandal when it was discovered a librarian took it upon herself to rid the shelves of thousands+thousands of books .. one library worker spoke up, but thousands of books were lost before it was stopped. not long after, i read similar happened in another state.
https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/ed ... ty-library
Franklin:
People often blame birth control for modern promiscuity but in fact the same promiscuity can be found in most decaying cultures in history. They used more primitive birth control or abortion or just had children outside of marriage.
i do not see these as mutually exclusive.
in my own life, i saw a rapid change from widespread value of chastity before marriage to "free love," "living together," etc., within a short period, possibly less than 5 years.
at the same time, i recognize your point about the correlation between promiscuity and decaying cultures.
Franklin:
I am not aware of male chastity being part of cultures other than Christian and Muslim. There is no mention of it in the Old Testament. Most successful cultures used prostitution as a means of allowing male promiscuity while preserving female chastity.
yes. when i was young, and began getting some vague messages like, "boys will be boys," i certainly was puzzled about the math therein.

in my girls separate from boys public school jr high health class, sex ed not on the radar, we were introduced to notions of using deoderants, and, possibly, shaving our legs.
that was intimate-enough! i have no idea what the boys were told.

it was a different culture .. not long ago.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:i appreciate how CM's put as high regard on chastity of males as females.
Indeed, although I fear we are starting to lose this. The unchastity of the world around us is seeping in and is becoming a major problem, even for young boys in their early teens. Eventually, we are going to have to get serious about how we raise our children to make chastity a part of what we teach, and adapt our lifestyles to not place our young people in harm's way over and over.

This issue is personally distressing to me and I am only just recently starting to realise just how bad things are for the younger generation.
1 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Franklin wrote:Most successful cultures used prostitution as a means of allowing male promiscuity while preserving female chastity.
For now I'll just say that a culture that "uses" prostitution can be said to preserve female chastity in only an extremely limited sense, and that a culture that allows for male promiscuity, distinguishing between male and female chastity, is not succeeding morally, regardless of its other achievements.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Interesting historical bit: birth control has been a part of human history from the beginning: from artificial contraception to outright abortion.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God