What is your personality type

Total votes: 0

Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Re: Personality Test?

Post by Wayne in Maine »

ISTP
When I took a very through Myers Briggs 20 years ago I rated INTP (borderline ISTP) - That seems to make sense. I suspect as we get older we have enough experience to trust our intuition less and depend more on what we can measure and observe!
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

consistently an INTJ
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Erika wrote:Personally, I think any personality is potentially destructive unless it is backed up by a mature character..
No personality test says otherwise. In theory, no one "type" is esteemed to be better than any other. All have the potential for being grand or heinous.
0 x
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

I am also very cautious. Scientists and religious scholars have both told me that personality typing is like a horoscope. I see far too many liberal christians buying into it and I worry about people failing to grow spiritually or otherwise because of it.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

francis wrote:I am also very cautious. Scientists and religious scholars have both told me that personality typing is like a horoscope. I see far too many liberal christians buying into it and I worry about people failing to grow spiritually or otherwise because of it.
Can you share who these scientists and religious scholars are?
0 x
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

RZehr wrote:
francis wrote:I am also very cautious. Scientists and religious scholars have both told me that personality typing is like a horoscope. I see far too many liberal christians buying into it and I worry about people failing to grow spiritually or otherwise because of it.
Can you share who these scientists and religious scholars are?
Scientists: most psychologists for example Robert Sapolsky, Steven Pinker, Daniel Gilbert off the top of my head.
Re: religion, some people think certain "personality types" are predisposed towards being religious (or not) which feels overly deterministic. Supposedly MBTI helps people understand themselves better (and in theory can better serve God,) but if it has no basis in fact, how helpful is it, really? I suppose that if it's similar to saying that people born in the winter are more likely to have xyz trait, then it's not necessarily harmful, but at best it's neutral. I'm trying to find a source for a scholar, and I may have spoken too soon; I've heard pastors being skeptical of it but none of the ones I know have put it in writing, so in lieu of that I'll leave a few links here:
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... st/531861/
https://www.vox.com/2014/7/15/5881947/m ... eaningless
http://www.businessinsider.com/3-danger ... ers-2013-4
http://beautifulthing146.com/personality-tests/
(edited for formatting)
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Interesting - this little query confirmed something for me.

Over the years I have met dozens of MD & MN folks, and a strong majority of them seem, to my observation, to be introverts. If the little poll attached to this thread is any indication, introverts outnumber extroverts on MN 4-1! (I'm one of the three extroverts who responded) ;)

This doesn't surprise me really. I would think a forum like this would be well suited to a more introverted personality. An introverted person can get into deep discussions without the social complexity of face to face interaction, plus they have time to ponder and formulate their thoughts before answering (and even get an word in edgewise now and then :)). Written communication is really a great leveler - in my experience, its hard to tell and introvert from and extrovert in a forum like this. I've been surprised a number of times by how mild mannered some of our MD/MN "bulldogs" can be in person. :)

I'd be curious to see what others think.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Dan Z wrote:Interesting - this little query confirmed something for me.

Over the years I have met dozens of MD & MN folks, and a strong majority of them seem, to my observation, to be introverts. If the little poll attached to this thread is any indication, introverts outnumber extroverts on MN 4-1! (I'm one of the three extroverts who responded) ;)

This doesn't surprise me really. I would think a forum like this would be well suited to a more introverted personality. An introverted person can get into deep discussions without the social complexity of face to face interaction, plus they have time to ponder and formulate their thoughts before answering (and even get an word in edgewise now and then :)). Written communication is really a great leveler - in my experience, its hard to tell and introvert from and extrovert in a forum like this. I've been surprised a number of times by how mild mannered some of our MD/MN "bulldogs" can be in person. :)

i like this.
after a time on MD, i began to think of it as a sort of virtual library ~ a unique library, wherein visitors “speak”/communicate with one another! :D

real life libraries have changed drastically in my lifetime. i love them all! :mrgreen:
my early libraries were definitely the proverbial silent bastions of musty-smelling volumes overseen by mysterious bespeckled librarian-guards watching+listening for any patron’s misstep!

my first visit was in 5th-6th grade. a big moment in my life. i left with arms filled with books. i wanted more than i could carry. a feast! :lol:

today, libraries are lively places where toddlers visit, long before reading their first word!
i love this. but, this new way prohibits the old. which is kinda sad, too.
everything has a price.

i also think of this forum as a place to find members (authors) that are readily available for chats.
where else?! how else?!

in my real life, i decided, long ago, quiet people usually have “plenty” to say. :blah:
for reasons you describe, this forum provides an outlet for that.

they shouldn’t be taken for granted, overlooked, or underestimated. big mistake.
they often are the power players, the ultimate decision makers.
those who get things done.

that’s my experience, anyway. fun to think about. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Dan Z wrote: This doesn't surprise me really. I would think a forum like this would be well suited to a more introverted personality. An introverted person can get into deep discussions without the social complexity of face to face interaction, plus they have time to ponder and formulate their thoughts before answering (and even get an word in edgewise now and then :)). Written communication is really a great leveler - in my experience, its hard to tell and introvert from and extrovert in a forum like this. I've been surprised a number of times by how mild mannered some of our MD/MN "bulldogs" can be in person. :)

I'm on the introvert side.. the bolded is the primary reason that I always prefer written communication.
I think extroverts still tend to be more "bulldoggish", even in written form.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

INFP-T
0 x