Thinking about shaving my head... sort of...

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Should I shave my head?

Totally do it!
27%
Slow down and ponder this a bit.
36%
Think of the children!
9%
Don't. Just don't.
9%
Other (please explain).
18%

Total votes: 11

steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Thinking about shaving my head... sort of...

Post by steve-in-kville »

I'm getting grey and I am developing a bald spot (my barber tells me it is just "thinning"). Not thinking of going the razor skin head look, but the clippers on either a #2 guard or no guard at all. I'm on the upper end of my mid-40's so I think I'm old enough to make such a decision. I'm already doing the same thing with my beard... take the clippers to it every week or so. May give off a bit of a homeless vibe, but who cares at this point.

Vote & discuss.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Thinking about shaving my head... sort of...

Post by Grace »

I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't. You might even look like a cop, as many of them shave their heads.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Grace wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 6:54 am I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't. You might even look like a cop, as many of them shave their heads.
Or military....

I used to be really opposed to guys shaving their heads (for women, still am) because of the association with the whole white supremacy - skin-head deal (goatees for the same reason), but cultural associations change over time, so whatever.

I would never shave my head (unless for a medical procedure to fix my brain...), partly just because of the military angle, and perhaps mostly simply because of the era in which I grew up. (I DID recently run the clippers over my head, but with the biggest attachment. I also use one of the mid-sized ones on my beard, when my wife starts to say I look like a certain reberinho we knew from out near the village. But I prefer to leave it longer, because otherwise I torment myself, as I continually find some hairs that are a bit longer than others. It isn't apparent when it is longer, and I can just leave it alone.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

If anyone made fun of you, tell them to read 2 Kings 2:23-24 and live in fear. :mrgreen:
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Looks like I got shut down already... wife told me to stick with what I've been doing the last number of years. Here I was all excited.... ;)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

My wife wants me to, I'm always reluctant. I took it to 3/16 one time. She was nonplussed. Take it to a waxed finish, or cut it normal seems to be her thinking.

I'm 43. My hair goes bushy and wavy. No bald spots yet, but thinning in the back. Maybe this summer I'll risk it all.
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

BTW, I voted for you to go for it.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I believe it is entirely up to you and your wife, Steve. There are so many "associations" out in the world today, you will not be able to accommodate them all. Do that which is best for you as you do not live in a community that has a dress code per se. As always, YMMV.

For a smile:

0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

At 77, I've a shaved head, mustache and goatee. Pretty ugly but who cares at my age. Pros, I don't have to worry about my hair out of place; do all my barbering at home; keeps women from chasing after me; better for riding in a convertible; don't need a hair dryer. Cons, sun burn sometimes; razor blades wear out quicker; keeps women from chasing after me. :lol:

Yes, make sure the wife agrees to what you chose to do.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

For whatever reason, more conservative groups (intermediate-conservative and beyond) seem to prefer that men not have shaved heads. In moderate-conservative and up groups, this seems to be more acceptable.
0 x