Unique Weddings and Couples

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Unique Weddings and Couples

Post by Josh »

Soloist wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:34 pm
Ernie wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:22 pm
Josh wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:48 pmHoldemans are one of the very few groups that has eschewed the white wedding, and still retain the old-fashioned idea that a bride's wedding dress should be an article of clothing that can be re-worn for other occasions.
Don't the majority of Plain Anabaptists eschew white wedding dresses?
I've seen a fair bit of white cape dresses as a wedding dress. Seems to be the expectation.
Of note is that most of the "conservative Mennonites" were all just part of what is now MC USA until the 1950s, or later. (They always think of themselves as being "always conservative", though.)
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Josh wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:12 pmOf note is that most of the "conservative Mennonites" were all just part of what is now MC USA until the 1950s, or later. (They always think of themselves as being "always conservative", though.)
Yes. It never ceases to amaze me how long-standing these Mennonites think their culture and traditions are.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Josh wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:48 pmHoldemans are one of the very few groups that has eschewed the white wedding, and still retain the old-fashioned idea that a bride's wedding dress should be an article of clothing that can be re-worn for other occasions.
Weaverland Conference and Groffdale Conference eschew white wedding dresses. They go with ivory, gray or light blue.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

mike wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:15 pm
Josh wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:12 pmOf note is that most of the "conservative Mennonites" were all just part of what is now MC USA until the 1950s, or later. (They always think of themselves as being "always conservative", though.)
Yes. It never ceases to amaze me how long-standing these Mennonites think their culture and traditions are.
Grace wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:47 pm
Weaverland Conference and Groffdale Conference eschew white wedding dresses. They go with ivory, gray or light blue.
I'm guessing there are about 400,000 Old Order Amish and Mennonites who don't wear white. And perhaps 40,000 Plain conservatives that do. =1/10th.
Most of the 400,000 don't frequent MN to share their perspectives.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

There was a time when white churches were considered too worldly by most plain Anabaptists. That issue ong others split up the May City Iowa folks. My paternal ancestors btw...
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

joshuabgood wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:28 pm There was a time when white churches were considered too worldly by most plain Anabaptists. That issue ong others split up the May City Iowa folks. My paternal ancestors btw...
Yet many of the old conservative Mennonite churches here in Lancaster County are white and have been for over 100 years, Weaverland, Martindale, Bowmansville, Springville, Meadow Valley, all were and still are white.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

I guess you could say there was a time when red churches, brown churches, any color of churches (meetinghouses) were considered worldly. Maybe the majority of conservative Anabaptists still feel that way.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:38 am I guess you could say there was a time when red churches, brown churches, any color of churches (meetinghouses) were considered worldly. Maybe the majority of conservative Anabaptists still feel that way.
I do. I assume you meant Plain Anabaptists?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:46 am
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:38 am I guess you could say there was a time when red churches, brown churches, any color of churches (meetinghouses) were considered worldly. Maybe the majority of conservative Anabaptists still feel that way.
I do. I assume you meant Plain Anabaptists?
Plain Anabaptists would have been more accurate. Thanks.
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

"Worldly" sure is a handy label to stick on other believers. No requirement to prove the charge, or even define it. How must God feel when we do this?

I've been guilty of it myself, but with age comes (thankfully) wisdom, and a realization of God's character and our own shortcomings and sins.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.