Chickens

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Chickens

Post by ohio jones »

Ernie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:59 pm Can you guess what it is?
Fisher?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:11 am
Ernie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:59 pm Can you guess what it is?
Fisher?
That almost makes it sound like an Anabaptist chicken thief...
0 x
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

Our chickens are finally laying eggs! They are colorful eggs, green, blue, brown, cream, white, and dark brown.

Now we are deciding how to build a nest box with a roll away slope for the eggs. At least one chicken is breaking and eating eggs, so very dirty eggs are coming in.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Somebody wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:16 pm Our chickens are finally laying eggs! They are colorful eggs, green, blue, brown, cream, white, and dark brown.

Now we are deciding how to build a nest box with a roll away slope for the eggs. At least one chicken is breaking and eating eggs, so very dirty eggs are coming in.
Make sure your birds are getting enough calcium, and it might be a good idea to add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon to your chickens' water for a couple weeks and see if the egg eating behavior stops. Vinegar water should only be given in glass or plastic waterers.
0 x
Somebody

Post by Somebody »

How does the vinegar stop the egg breaking?
We'll try it, it will be easy enough to add vinegar to the 5 gal bucket we use as a waterer.
0 x
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Somebody wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:16 pm Our chickens are finally laying eggs! They are colorful eggs, green, blue, brown, cream, white, and dark brown.

Sometimes you ultimately can't fix that, and you have to find that chicken, and prepare it for supper.
1 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Somebody wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:33 pm How does the vinegar stop the egg breaking?
We'll try it, it will be easy enough to add vinegar to the 5 gal bucket we use as a waterer.
Sometimes the egg breaking is the result of a chicken lacking calcium - egg shells are a great source of calcium.
Vinegar can help with digestion and absorption of the calcium that is already provided in the diet.
Are you offering any free choice calcium like oyster shells to your chickens?
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

nett wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:40 pm

Sometimes you ultimately can't fix that, and you have to find that chicken, and prepare it for supper.
Could we say then that the problem has been fixed (for supper).
2 x
Somebody

Post by Somebody »

No, I don't think there are any oyster shells out now. I'll tell Sonny to check if we still have some.

We have 2 too many roosters, so we may be having chicken for dinner a few times! But butchering chickens just isn't something I like to do...
0 x
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Somebody wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:07 pm No, I don't think there are any oyster shells out now. I'll tell Sonny to check if we still have some.

We have 2 too many roosters, so we may be having chicken for dinner a few times! But butchering chickens just isn't something I like to do...
Honestly, does anyone actually enjoy butchering chickens?
0 x