Poll: Iridology

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.

Does iridology work? (1-5) Why or why not? (6-10) Choose one from each category.

Total votes: 0

ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Poll: Iridology

Post by ohio jones »

Since iridology has nothing to do with Morrison, TN that I can tell, let's move discussion to another location. I've attempted to describe a range of positions and opinions in the poll, but probably left something out or didn't nuance it as you'd prefer, so jump right in with other options.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Poll: Iridology

Post by Wade »

First it might be a good idea to define what it is and according to Merriam Webster's Definitions:

Iridology definition is - the study of the iris of the eye for indications of bodily health and disease.

So it is something used by conventional doctors, nurses, policemen, naturopath doctors, common people can see if someone looks ill or drunk or high on drugs, so it is, well, used by everyone to some level as a "diagnostic tool." Doesn't mean that it couldn't be used as quackery (anything could when manipulated wrongly) or even witchcraft.
0 x
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

For the purposes of this thread, let's use the more complete Wikipedia definition:
Iridology (also known as iridodiagnosis or iridiagnosis) is an alternative medicine technique whose proponents claim that patterns, colors, and other characteristics of the iris can be examined to determine information about a patient's systemic health. Practitioners match their observations to iris charts, which divide the iris into zones that correspond to specific parts of the human body. Iridologists see the eyes as "windows" into the body's state of health.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Wade

Post by Wade »

ohio jones wrote:For the purposes of this thread, let's use the more complete Wikipedia definition:
Iridology (also known as iridodiagnosis or iridiagnosis) is an alternative medicine technique whose proponents claim that patterns, colors, and other characteristics of the iris can be examined to determine information about a patient's systemic health. Practitioners match their observations to iris charts, which divide the iris into zones that correspond to specific parts of the human body. Iridologists see the eyes as "windows" into the body's state of health.
Then why do conventional doctors look into peoples eyes using alternative medicine techniques?
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

ohio jones wrote:For the purposes of this thread, let's use the more complete Wikipedia definition:
He who defines the terms wins everytime…. :roll:
0 x
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

Wade wrote:Then why do conventional doctors look into peoples eyes using alternative medicine techniques?
If they use alternative medicine techniques, are they a conventional doctor? ;)

Consider these diagnoses:
A. By examining your eye, I can tell you have a cataract.
B. Your eyes appear to be bloodshot; you've been drinking, haven't you?
C. By looking at this part of your eye, it's obvious you have colon cancer.

Only the last is what is commonly meant by iridology, and the way I think most are using it in this discussion, even though some dictionary definitions might seem to encompass all three. Other dictionaries are more specific, such as this one:
oxforddictionaries.com wrote:(in alternative medicine) diagnosis by examination of the iris of the eye.
I'm not trying to "win" anything here (though a chicken dinner does sound good about now), but it's helpful for all of us to be talking about the same thing, so thanks for bringing up the range of possible interpretations.
0 x

Wade

Post by Wade »

ohio jones wrote:
Wade wrote:Then why do conventional doctors look into peoples eyes using alternative medicine techniques?

Only the last is what is commonly meant by iridology, and the way I think most are using it in this discussion, even though some dictionary definitions might seem to encompass all three. Other dictionaries are more specific, such as this one:
oxforddictionaries.com wrote:(in alternative medicine) diagnosis by examination of the iris of the eye.
I'm not trying to "win" anything here (though a chicken dinner does sound good about now), but it's helpful for all of us to be talking about the same thing, so thanks for bringing up the range of possible interpretations.
I think I have a mental handicap in generalizations that are only meant as negative... Thank you for your patience.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Wade wrote:
ohio jones wrote:

I think I have a mental handicap in generalizations that are only meant as negative... Thank you for your patience.
Not always- I've seen you use very positive generalizations about Mennonites-
you're like me in getting defensive over natural cures and opposed to much that is conventional in these days we live- it's like politics almost- a great divide is happening.

(I honestly don't know enough about iridology to cast a vote (yet). The people I know of personally that sought it out love the Lord with all their heart, soul, mind and strength from what I can tell & I would think the Holy Spirit would give them a HUGE nudge away from it. I really don't mean this as hurtful, but in all honesty, knowing Anabaptists for over a decade now, I have not known a more suspicious mindset and I can't help but conclude that helps them in some ways- but not necessarily be entirely accurate always- I pray we all pray for discernment in all we pursue, learn, and we can be led by the Holy Spirit- with TRUE discernment, and not just scruples.
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

I don't think we are called as Christian's to accuse the worst when we hear a word.

Not a true story:

I once saw a man. Very motivated was he, with big heart he warned all of the deep ditch that took a many lives. As I drove past it wasn't hard to see, his feet were planted in a ditch too. But, alas, no one dare tell him, because at least he was on the other side of the highway.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Pure quackery. But I don't expect to convince anybody.
0 x