Today ...

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Today ...

Post by temporal1 »

gcdonner wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:23 pm
temporal1 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:48 am
temporal1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:08 am✈️
✈️ .. Texas storms. try again. :)
Tell me again, why do you want the Texas storms to try again?
:lol:
i’m not sure i can untangle, i’ll try.

i was booked to fly home on Thursday, connecting through Dallas.
Storms caused numerous delays, finally ending my plans for Thursday.
The airline rebooked me for Friday .. it was ok, no big deal. That is, the “try again” was i tried to return home again.

We had some turbulence, maybe over Tennessee. Was that you?! :mrgreen:
Second try worked, i’m home. On time.

Best of all, my poor old car started right up - after sitting in the airport parking lot for 3 months! :wave:
Plus, no flat tires. Whew. “Old Reliable” comes through once again.

My trip wasn’t supposed to be that long, but, early-on i had a literal miss step and broke a bone in my foot!
My family kindly let me stay, the bone is healing, doctor said this will take time. months more, really.
He said 30% of these types of injuries never heal. Mine is showing signs of healing on the X-ray, and, it’s feeling pretty good.
(i think) i’m doing really well. i’m careful with it. i wear orthopedic shoes. we’ll see. i can drive. for weeks, i couldn’t.

tired.
missing my family already.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

t1, if you ever want to sell that car, let me know…
1 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:45 am
gcdonner wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:23 pm
temporal1 wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:48 am
✈️ .. Texas storms. try again. :)
Tell me again, why do you want the Texas storms to try again?
:lol:
i’m not sure i can untangle, i’ll try.

i was booked to fly home on Thursday, connecting through Dallas.
The airline rebooked me for Friday .. it was ok, no big deal. That is, the “try again” was i tried to return home again.

We had some turbulence, maybe over Tennessee. Was that you?! :mrgreen:
Second try worked, i’m home. On time.

Best of all, my poor old car started right up - after sitting in the airport parking lot for 3 months! :wave:
Plus, no flat tires. Whew. “Old Reliable” comes through once again.

My trip wasn’t supposed to be that long, but, early-on i had a literal miss step and broke a bone in my foot!
My family kindly let me stay, the bone is healing, doctor said this will take time. months more, really.
He said 30% of these types of injuries never heal. Mine is showing signs of healing on the X-ray, and, it’s feeling pretty good.
(i think) i’m doing really well. i’m careful with it. i wear orthopedic shoes. we’ll see. i can drive. for weeks, i couldn’t.

tired.
missing my family already.
I apologize for the turbulence over Tennessee, it probably was me driving my Goofy Cart. I can get pretty rowdy, even in my old age!

Glad you made it home safely Em.
1 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:45 am i was booked to fly home on Thursday, connecting through Dallas.
The airline rebooked me for Friday .. it was ok, no big deal.
I was booked to fly home on Tuesday, connecting through Dallas.
Storms caused numerous delays, finally ending my plans for Tuesday.
The airline rebooked me for Wednesday .. it was ok, no big deal.

Conclusion: Avoid Dallas.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

ohio jones wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:45 am
temporal1 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:45 am i was booked to fly home on Thursday, connecting through Dallas.

Wife: That reminds me of when we flew over here to visit. We ended up being stuck all night in Atlanta airport and they had no hotel vouchers and all their rental vehicles were gone (maybe airport strikes caused all the chaos?) and having to fly to a nearby town the next day and have someone pick us up from there. Then, on our way back, we got stuck for hours in our plane in Charlotte because of some nasty weather, and didn’t end up getting into Portland till after midnight. I think we’ve decided not to fly again anytime soon, especially not through Atlanta. that’s usually the airport we’ve had problems with.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Conclusion: avoid flying, take the train or the bus, they don't cancel.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

gcdonner wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:04 am I apologize for the turbulence over Tennessee, it probably was me driving my Goofy Cart. I can get pretty rowdy, even in my old age!

Glad you made it home safely Em.
:D thanks for the video. i forwarded to my son.
(i didn’t tell the pilot about my suspicions wrt air turbulence.) no need to involve Homeland Security. :P

airships “passing in the night?” (or, in the day, Dallas?)
george:
Conclusion: avoid flying, take the train or the bus, they don't cancel. :shock:
Dec 24 1983 / “COLD, ICE AND SNOW DISRUPT TRAVEL FOR CHRISTMAS”
https://www.nytimes.com/1983/12/24/us/c ... stmas.html
Vivid memory.
We thought we were being so smart to take the train (instead of driving) to be with family under 2 hours away, knowing Illinois roads can be rough, midwinter. We had a 6 yr old and 4 mo old, it was to be a slam dunk Christmas visit. No delays!

Well.
We were in the train station for HOURS+HOURS, one delay following another .. the ice+cold were so bad.
At last they cancelled THE TRAIN. Disappointed, we returned home.

On the fun side, we were seated just across from Roger Ebert, heading to Chicago.
He chatted about how “well behaved” our children were - as-if that was something we had done! :lol:
i got an inward chuckle out of that. (The baby was content.) He was born that way. The 6 yr old had her toy horse, she was happy.

i wanted to invite him to come and have Christmas Eve dinner with us.
i was too ashamed we would be having leftover spaghetti+meatballs. :oops:
that just didn’t seem right. :?

maybe we should have let him decide. i’ve never been sure about that.
i’m sure he had plenty of local friends he’d rather be with. i hope, anyway.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

2024 / Another JUNE is here:
temporal1 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:55 pm
temporal1 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:56 pm June Brides .. a bit of history. 🌸

i can’t find it, in the past i shared a link to an informal history of the history of June with Christian traditional weddings.
Mostly from a Western European cultural view, referring back to ancient Rome.

That link has disappeared. It was: http://www.thebridalandtuxedohouse.com/

i found this similar one: (similar content)

2014 / “For they say when you marry in June, you’re a bride all your life.”
https://tscpl.org/weddings/say-marry-ju ... bride-life
Married when the year is new, he’ll be loving, kind and true.
When February birds do mate, you wed not dread your fate.
If you wed when March winds blow, joy and sorrow both you’ll know.
Marry in April when you can, joy for Maiden and for Man.
Marry in the month of May, and you’ll surely rue the day.
Marry when June roses grow, over land and sea you’ll go.
Those who in July do wed, must labor for their daily bread.
Whoever wed in August be, many a change is sure to see.
Marry in September’s shrine, your living will be rich and fine.
If in October you do marry, love will come but riches tarry.
If you wed in bleak November, only joys will come, remember.
When December snows fall fast, marry and true love will last.
–Anonymous

Roses in heart shapeHistorically, June has always been the most popular month for weddings.

There are many ideas of why this month is so popular…

🌸 The month of June derives its name from Juno, the Roman goddess of marriage. It was thought that couples who married in June would be blessed with prosperity and happiness.

🌸 During medieval times a person’s annual bath (yes, you read that right — just one really thorough bath per year!) usually fell in May or June, meaning that June brides still smelled relatively fresh. The brides would have smelled more pleasant then than before but just to be safe, brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide their body odor. Hence the custom of carrying a bouquet when walking down the aisle!

🌸 On a practical note, others chose June in order to time conception so births wouldn’t interfere with harvest work.

🌸 Also, ancient tradition promoted it would be most unlucky to marry in the month of May because in Roman times the Feast of the Dead and the Festival of the Goddess of Chastity both occurred in May. (I doubt that husbands would be too inclined to want their new partners mourning lost loves on their honeymoon!)

The real reason in today’s economy may be far more practical.
🌸 If a person marries in June, he or she is considered to have been a married person for the whole financial year: July 1 to June 30.

🌸 As a married person was thought to have greater obligations than a single person, the rate of income tax collected was lower.
So by marrying in June, a lower rate of income tax would be applied to the year’s earnings, and a substantial refund would be received. This was traditionally used to defray the costs of the honeymoon.

June Bride (1948) film posterThe 1948 movie “June Bride,” starring Bette Davis and Robert Montgomery, reinforced the connection of weddings and the month of June.

The 1954 musical “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” continued to reinforce this tradition with the song “June Bride.”

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers film poster
“Oh, they say when you marry in June you’re a bride all your life,
and the bridegroom who marries in June gets a sweet-heart for a wife.
Winter weddings can be gay like a Christmas holiday,
but the JUNE BRIDE hears the song of a spring that lasts all summer long.

By the light of the silvery moon, home you ride side by side
with the echo of Mendelssohn’s tune in your hearts as you ride.
For they say when you marry in June you will always be a bride.”
– “June Bride” from the movie “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers”

Congratulations to those of you getting married in June . . . you will always be a bride!
i enjoy recalling recent, vintage, and ancient history - 🌸
in these times when all history is denied, scorned+replaced with whatever whims various organized political blocs dictate.

TOPEKA & SHAWNEE COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY / Topeka Kansas
(The link offers options to share on FB, etc., i presume copy+paste is ok.)

Seasonal planting and harvests.
i don’t see it above, but, i recall reading that in a farming culture, June was not as busy as other warm months,
so, again, a practical reason for June to be a popular choice.

i expect practical reasons were at the root of June Brides.

This link below is kinda hard to read, the font is so light. Maybe copy+paste would work around that. Here goes:

🌸 Maui Wedding Blog / The Origins Of The June Bride
https://www.behindthelensmaui.com/2013/ ... une-bride/
Origins Of The June Bride
“Marry when June roses grow, over land and sea you’ll go.”
That line comes from a popular poem about wedding months and is indicative of the popularity of a June bride and her wedding. The month of June is by far the most popular month in which to wed, followed by August and then July. In fact, the month of June is so popular, we have all heard the term June Bride, but have you ever heard of the August Bride?
So how did June become the month of choice for many brides to wed?

Early Roman Empire
It’s believed that the June wedding dates back over 2000 years ago to the early Roman Empire, as they celebrated on June 1st a festival by honoring the deity Juno. Juno was the wife of Jupiter, and was known as the goddess of marriage and childbirth. In fact, they avoided the month of May altogether because May was the month of the “unhappy dead” and was not seen as a time to celebrate.

The 15th and 16th Centuries
During the 15th and 16th centuries, the month of June was known for people to escape from the winter season and come outdoors. In addition, they would bathe communally, thus being freshly clean in time for a wedding. With flowers reaching their blooming season at this time, it was believed that the scents of the flowers were used at weddings to help overcome any body odor that maybe present.

Pre-Contraceptive Times
During the pre-contraceptive times, getting married in the month of June often meant that children were born in the spring time, allowing them to not be infants during the cold of the winter but rather as the warmer months begin. Also, by giving birth in the spring time meant that the fall harvest wouldn’t be disrupted as it was the busiest time of the calendar year for most. Now whether the harvest notion was planned that way or not is unknown, but a long standing theory.

Weddings Were Not Always Romantic
Weddings in general weren’t romantic the way we know them today. In fact, weddings back in the day were actually business deals that took place between the groom’s family and the bride’s father, while the couple stood by. Back then, women were also considered to be her father’s property and that’s why you see in today’s wedding ceremonies the father walking his daughter down the aisle and handing her over to the groom as he “gives her away.”

In the past, cultures handled engagements differently. In some cultures the groom would pay the bride’s father a dowry, or pay for her hand in marriage. Often it was in the form of farm animals or the groom’s labor on the farm. Other cultures had the father of the bride giving the groom’s family a dowry, as well as his daughter.

Some of the wedding traditions from the past could be considered dangerous. For example, a wealthier bride could find herself kidnapped on her way to the wedding ceremony and returned for a ransom. That is how the bridesmaid and their dresses came about. Back in the day, the bridesmaids wore the same dress as the bride to confuse potential kidnappers as well as evil spirits. This is the same reason as to why the groom stands on the right side during the ceremony. This allows his right hand to be free to grab his sword to fight off would be kidnappers that may attack during the ceremony itself.

Today’s Wedding Ceremonies
In modern days, outside of some cultures, the wedding ceremony is no longer viewed as a business contract but one of a romantic gesture. However, many of the past traditions that had a particular purpose is often still in effect, but more out of tradition instead of necessity.

The month of June has also been brought to the forefront even more thanks to the 1948 movie starring Montgomery Clift and Bette Davis, “June Bride,” where the movie depicted the reinforcement of the month of June with the romance of weddings. Others followed suit as can be seen in the musical “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” in 1954 as it include the musical piece, “June Bride.”
Also of note, if you are looking to have your own June wedding, be sure to plan ahead. If June is so popular, then so are wedding photographers and they get booked up quickly. If you’re doing a destination wedding, such as in Maui, get your Maui wedding photographer as soon as you can.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Flying out from DFW to Michigan in the morning. Granddaughter graduation.
2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:13 pm Flying out from DFW to Michigan in the morning. Granddaughter graduation. 🌸
i hope you get to land in GRR.
0 x

UNKNOWN