240V AC questions ...

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: 240V AC questions ...

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Could you take a look in your box and see if the breaker for your stove is twice as wide as the rest of them?

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

It's possible just one leg of your 220 breaker is bad?
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

AnthonyMartin wrote:It's possible just one leg of your 220 breaker is bad?
I am thinking some Bozo wired both hot legs to a 120 breaker. As he said both legs are 110 to ground, but give no voltage between them. Only way I can conceive of that is if froth the red and black are somehow wired to the same side of the hot busses in his box.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician. But have had to check the wiring of equipment many times. If the elements on the old cooktop are tapped in the middle it just might have worked. I have seen worse.

Oh yes, Boot-Before you do anything turn off the “Haupt Schlatter.”

J.M.
0 x
AnthonyMartin

Post by AnthonyMartin »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
I am thinking some Bozo wired both hot legs to a 120 breaker. As he said both legs are 110 to ground, but give no voltage between them. Only way I can conceive of that is if froth the red and black are somehow wired to the same side of the hot busses in his box.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician. But have had to check the wiring of equipment many times. If the elements on the old cooktop are tapped in the middle it just might have worked. I have seen worse.

J.M.
Depends where the voltage is checked I think. I'm not an electrician either, but the appliance can sometimes cause both sides to read 120, even if one of the legs is bad. I just had that experience with a baseboard heater. Wiring was bad on one leg, but somehow the 120 was crossing over to read on both sides...
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

AnthonyMartin wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:

J.M.
Depends where the voltage is checked I think. I'm not an electrician either, but the appliance can sometimes cause both sides to read 120, even if one of the legs is bad. I just had that experience with a baseboard heater. Wiring was bad on one leg, but somehow the 120 was crossing over to read on both sides...
Yeah. If he as a “single width” breaker in there, we do have an answer.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:Could you take a look in your box and see if the breaker for your stove is twice as wide as the rest of them?
Double width. Doesn't mean it's hooked up right.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Maybe. I am increasingly inclined to have an electrician look at it.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Fidelio wrote:I once had the two leads like that and touched the bare ends together and there was a loud pow, flash of light, and power outage. Downstairs in the laundry room the circuit box had two blown 35A cartridge fuses. Crazy, but this is what happens if you don't know what to do. Better to not do anything.

Famous last words: what could possibly go wrong?
0 x
AnthonyMartin

Post by AnthonyMartin »

Bootstrap wrote:
Maybe. I am increasingly inclined to have an electrician look at it.
That was the only way I figured out my problem, called the professional in and he had it corrected in 20 minutes.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Bootstrap wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Could you take a look in your box and see if the breaker for your stove is twice as wide as the rest of them?
Double width. Doesn't mean it's hooked up right.
A picture might help as there are lots of different kinds of breakers now-a-days.

If you haven't had help from a professional yet, I'd be happy to.

Wade,
FSR/Master Electrician
0 x