Amanda's Journey

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Amanda's Journey

Post by MaxPC »

Hats Off wrote:They have an appointment at Toronto Sick Children's Hospital for April 15th. We have been checking for available rental accommodations suitable for a family of 9 for a year or more.

Over a year ago a rich Jewish couple was found murdered in their 12,000 square foot mansion in Toronto. The family have tried selling it for between 6 and 7 million but murder houses are not in high demand. They now have permission to demolish the house. Someone suggested - why not get the Sherman family to let Galen's family use the house as long as they need it. So I found the lawyer's contact information - he is one of the top Canadian criminal lawyers - and sent him an email asking him to give the Sherman family our contact information. The diseased Sherman husband and wife had donated millions to worthy causes so I suggested that this would be in keeping with the Sherman's philanthropically history. Further, I suggested that the joyful laughter and shouts of these happy youngsters would "clean the air" and make it possible for them to later sell the house without the murder stigma attached. They would be doing something good at no cost to them, and they might be able to recover millions out of the deal.

At the same time Galen managed to contact an old family friend of the Sherman's and gave him the same story. If nothing comes of it, it is good for a laugh.
Good creative solution, HO.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Hats Off wrote:They have an appointment at Toronto Sick Children's Hospital for April 15th. We have been checking for available rental accommodations suitable for a family of 9 for a year or more.

Over a year ago a rich Jewish couple was found murdered in their 12,000 square foot mansion in Toronto. The family have tried selling it for between 6 and 7 million but murder houses are not in high demand. They now have permission to demolish the house. Someone suggested - why not get the Sherman family to let Galen's family use the house as long as they need it. So I found the lawyer's contact information - he is one of the top Canadian criminal lawyers - and sent him an email asking him to give the Sherman family our contact information. The diseased Sherman husband and wife had donated millions to worthy causes so I suggested that this would be in keeping with the Sherman's philanthropically history. Further, I suggested that the joyful laughter and shouts of these happy youngsters would "clean the air" and make it possible for them to later sell the house without the murder stigma attached. They would be doing something good at no cost to them, and they might be able to recover millions out of the deal.

At the same time Galen managed to contact an old family friend of the Sherman's and gave him the same story. If nothing comes of it, it is good for a laugh.
.. continuing prayers for all parts of Amanda’s journey .. :)

this is quite an idea .. i hope it can be worked out for everyone.
the property has expenses, even just sitting idle. taxes, insurance, whatever utilities.
it will deteriorate just from age+weather .. probably less so, in use, occupied and cared for.

i hope an agreement can quickly be reached for you folks.
in the longer term, maybe the property could be sold for use by the hospital for families in similar need? it would probably require remodeling to meet different codes. but, still.
these things happen.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

It appears now that they will be able to rent a 4 bedroom house in the country near Markham, Ontario where there is a sizeable MCEC community. Some of the people in Galen`s home church know the owner of the house who is willing to give them preferential treatment because of their situation. Amanda will not be placed on the list of people requiring hearts until they are within driving distance of the hospital. We hope this will happen by the end of the month. She is keeping active but carefully, so she does not raise her heart rate. She continues to experience chest pains multiple times every day.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Hats Off wrote:It appears now that they will be able to rent a 4 bedroom house in the country near Markham, Ontario where there is a sizeable MCEC community. :D

Some of the people in Galen`s home church know the owner of the house who is willing to give them preferential treatment because of their situation. :D

Amanda will not be placed on the list of people requiring hearts until they are within driving distance of the hospital. We hope this will happen by the end of the month. :D

She is keeping active but carefully, so she does not raise her heart rate. She continues to experience chest pains multiple times every day.
.. thank you for the update. continuing prayers for Amanda’s journey. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Galen's blog provides more information. http://providencehomestead.com/
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Hats Off wrote:Galen's blog provides more information. http://providencehomestead.com/
This is a beautiful journal. Over time, it will become a family treasure. :D

i hope you will continue to update here.
i appreciate your grandfather’s perspective and heart for your loved ones.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Excerpts from Galen's blog:
The CBC want an interview
On another note of interest, this week Stu Mills from the CBC contacted me (Galen) and wondered if we would be Interested in doing an interview. He is host of Ottawa Morning on CBC Radio however he asked if its OK if content got used for the radio, internet and TV. Next week is National Organ and Tissue Donation Awareness Week. He saw our story on GoFundMe, read our blog and thought we have an interesting story to share.
We managed to get to Union Station via the subway, while still struggling to walk anywhere without Amanda getting chest pain. We were in front of Union Station, just across the street from the bus stop waiting for our last ride to the scooter dealer. Amanda’s heart just had enough walking for the day and we ended up waiting on the sidewalk wondering if we need an ambulance ride back to the hospital. She finally was able to shuffle across the street in time to catch the bus.
One of the appointments Thursday morning was with the transplant surgeon who confirms he is recommending she is listed as soon as possible. He is only part of the team but his recommendation has substantial influence. Listing as soon as possible is what we expected and what we are preparing for. Many of the other team members always talked about “if and when she gets put on the transplant list”. We also learned from him that she is in the lowest risk / highest success rate category for heart transplants. The risk will increase as her condition gets worse, which apart from divine intervention, will continue to happen, therefore waiting is counterproductive.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Thank you for adding these posts. i’ve been wondering, but did not think to check Galen’s blog!
Would a transport chair help Amanda? they are portable and handy.
we used one when my husband was so ill. it had so many uses! it fit easily in the car.

https://oswaldspharmacy.com/2018/11/05/ ... eelchairs/

so encouraging to hear about her hopeful prognosis! that is encouraging. :D
0 x

UNKNOWN
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Amanda's family will be moving to Markham this weekend as she has now been approved for the heart transplant list. Galen tripped and fell about three feet, face down and broke his left arm. His right arm is also sore so they will have to look to others to do the lifting and carrying.

The family spent a week travelling to the east coast but had to take it easy because he couldn't do a lot of driving at a time. The vacation served them well to take their minds off the waiting - they returned home on Sunday night just narrowly missing a tornado. On Monday morning they received the most welcome call from the hospital, putting an end to the waiting game.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Hats Off wrote:Amanda's family will be moving to Markham this weekend as she has now been approved for the heart transplant list. Galen tripped and fell about three feet, face down and broke his left arm. His right arm is also sore so they will have to look to others to do the lifting and carrying.

The family spent a week travelling to the east coast but had to take it easy because he couldn't do a lot of driving at a time. The vacation served them well to take their minds off the waiting - they returned home on Sunday night just narrowly missing a tornado. On Monday morning they received the most welcome call from the hospital, putting an end to the waiting game.
So appreciate the update. :D
You reminded to check on Galen’s blog, a new, May 18, entry since last i checked.

i hope mike sees the RV entry! great reading.
0 x

UNKNOWN