Poll: Iridology

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.

Does iridology work? (1-5) Why or why not? (6-10) Choose one from each category.

Total votes: 0

Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Poll: Iridology

Post by Valerie »

GaryK wrote:
JohnHurt wrote: The green revolution in the 70's made wheat different through selective breeding, while the GMO process in the 1990's made wheat into something else all over again. I was skeptical about gluten at first, but after going gluten free for several years, I can tell there is a benefit to avoiding as much gluten as possible. And if you have digestion problems, like other members of my family do, then it is probably the gluten that is causing it.
I'm curious if you know of any sources that confirm that wheat has been genetically modified especially back in the 1990's. I know this is a common claim but most sources say that as of 2017 no GMO wheat has been grown commercially.

This link lists all current GMO crops allowed to be grown in the USA. Wheat is not one of them.
Since I work in a store, and had served in our previous Church's coffee/baker ministry- I have been bewildered by the amount of people that can't handle wheat. There has to be something to this claim!
0 x
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

GaryK wrote:
JohnHurt wrote: The green revolution in the 70's made wheat different through selective breeding, while the GMO process in the 1990's made wheat into something else all over again. I was skeptical about gluten at first, but after going gluten free for several years, I can tell there is a benefit to avoiding as much gluten as possible. And if you have digestion problems, like other members of my family do, then it is probably the gluten that is causing it.
I'm curious if you know of any sources that confirm that wheat has been genetically modified especially back in the 1990's. I know this is a common claim but most sources say that as of 2017 no GMO wheat has been grown commercially.

This link lists all current GMO crops allowed to be grown in the USA. Wheat is not one of them.
Gary,

You are right! Wheat has not been GMO'd!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetical ... fied_wheat

My memory got GMO confused with the selective breeding of wheat during the "green revolution."

Here are the chromosonal differences between Einkorn, Emmer, and modern wheat:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat#Genetics
Diploid, Tetraploid, Hexaploid wheat - who'd a thunk it!

This tells me that Gluten comprises 75-85% of the total protein in Bread wheat:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten
But it does not tell me how much gluten is in Einkorn wheat. We just know that there is less gluten in Einkorn than what we buy in the store, from our own experience.

Here are the disorders caused by gluten:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten#Disorders

The last item on the Wikipedia list was pretty scary, it reads:
Other neurological disorders

In addition to gluten ataxia, gluten sensitivity can cause a wide spectrum of neurological disorders, which develop with or without the presence of digestive symptoms or intestinal damage.[11] These include peripheral neuropathy, epilepsy, headache, encephalopathy, vascular dementia, and various movement disorders (restless legs syndrome, chorea, parkinsonism, Tourette syndrome, palatal tremor, myoclonus, dystonia, opsoclonus myoclonus syndrome, paroxysms, dyskinesia, myorhythmia, myokymia).
I think we are on the right track by reducing our gluten intake.

John
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie wrote:Since I work in a store, and had served in our previous Church's coffee/baker ministry- I have been bewildered by the amount of people that can't handle wheat.
One has to wonder how many are truly gluten intolerant, how many are just following the latest fad, and how many are buying products labeled Gluten Free because they perceive value in having the gluten included at no extra charge.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

ohio jones wrote:
Valerie wrote:Since I work in a store, and had served in our previous Church's coffee/baker ministry- I have been bewildered by the amount of people that can't handle wheat.
One has to wonder how many are truly gluten intolerant, how many are just following the latest fad, and how many are buying products labeled Gluten Free because they perceive value in having the gluten included at no extra charge.
I don't get the impression that ANYONE who has shared this problem enjoy it as if it's a fad-
It seems to be a miserable existence for them- expensive, struggling to find what they CAN eat-
And everyone that has shared with me conveyed their health issues that led them to find out it was due to gluten. it was not 'good news' for them- but a big improvement for them when they eliminated it from their diet. Something I am thankful to not have issues with.
0 x
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

Valerie wrote:
GaryK wrote:

Since I work in a store, and had served in our previous Church's coffee/baker ministry- I have been bewildered by the amount of people that can't handle wheat. There has to be something to this claim!
Amen! And there is a real market for gluten free products. Some gluten free bakery items can be made to taste just as good as the gluten bread products. My wife has a lot of gluten-free recipes. PM me if you are interested in a copy of her recipes.

If you want to do well with your bakery, offer gluten free items and see what happens. Also look at how many items in your grocery store are now gluten free, even items like chips that you would think would not have gluten. Many items now bear the gluten free label. The times, they are a changing...

John
0 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

I don't know why anyone would want to go gluten free for a fad!
Its expensive!
A lot of gluten free breads are NOT anywhere close to 'real bread'.
My husband would rather go without than eat the poor substitutes of gluten free bread / pasta.

He had food allergy testing done. Soy, wheat, rye, oat, spelt, pineapple & eggs were all high allergies for him.

I wonder if some of the problem of allergies to wheat could be the glyphosate in it.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Somebody wrote:I don't know why anyone would want to go gluten free for a fad!
Its expensive!
A lot of gluten free breads are NOT anywhere close to 'real bread'.
My husband would rather go without than eat the poor substitutes of gluten free bread / pasta.
Right.
It is expensive to do otherwise and never tastes as good. And it is harder for my wife to find recipes and have bread or other things even work out...
I know my family's life's would be much easier if I could just eat wheat without getting stomach aches, sore joints, headaches and etc. It is in so many foods out there...
The people that call it a fad - have no idea - I am happy for them that they haven't had to go through so much trouble.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Differently bred wheat has existed long before the current “gluten free” fad. Pasta, bread and pastry all require different contents of gluten. Than there is wheat starch, used in some Asian wrappers, it has no gluten.

Oh, yes, they don’t spray roundup on wheat. Roundup will kill wheat.

Soybeans, on the other hand are normally GMO, and you can spray them, since they have a gene inserted to negate the effect of roundup.

I just can’t make sense of some of the claims here. But let the buyer beware. Many of these claims are simply n=1 observations.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:Differently bred wheat has existed long before the current “gluten free” fad. Pasta, bread and pastry all require different contents of gluten. Than there is wheat starch, used in some Asian wrappers, it has no gluten.

Oh, yes, they don’t spray roundup on wheat. Roundup will kill wheat.

Soybeans, on the other hand are normally GMO, and you can spray them, since they have a gene inserted to negate the effect of roundup.

I just can’t make sense of some of the claims here. But let the buyer beware. Many of these claims are simply n=1 observations.

J.M.
This reminds me of the saying "A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an argument. People learn a lot and adjust their views/claims- when they are actually walking through the experience.
0 x
mercysfree
Affiliation: Beachy Amish

Post by mercysfree »

Hmm. I don't know how to do the polls. My position is witchcraft or quackery, pick your take. Harmful because people may wrongly depend on it and get misdiagnosed, or led
more deeply into occult practices. I stay so far away from these kinds of things that I would not know how much of it is "innocent quackery". Even if it worked, anything related to reflexology or homeopathy or "signs" has enough witchcraft connections to violate my conscience. I'd rather be ill, thank you. I have some demonic influence type things in my past. If I knew someone in my faith community or practiced this, first I would gather evidence of clear connections it has with occult influences. For example, books with a chapter on this and another on something really out there. Then I would ask them to stop out of respect for my weak conscience. I have actually done this after I saw a lady practicing reflexology in the meetinghouse.
0 x
Take the position that you're wrong, and your goal is to be less wrong over time. --Elon Musk