President Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

POLL: What do you think about the Trump presidency so far?

Total votes: 0

temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: President Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote:My one post for the day. I heard a Presidential Historical Scholar share this. Made me really think and chuckle a little too.

"A lot of good presidents have done some really bad things and a lot of bad presidents have done some really good things."
that sums it up, the principle can be found in scriptures, too, OT+NT. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Regardless of how many facts and figures are cited about how unpopular Trump is, the very simple fact remains that he won the election.

He does continue to be very unpopular with the intellectual elite and the ultra-wealthy.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Bootstrap wrote: [*] He promised that by slashing regulations, he could reinvigorate business. Maybe, but of the 8.1 billion dollars he says they saved in 2017, almost 6 billion - by his own tally - comes by eliminating the regulation that says federal contractors need to pay at least $10.10 an hour. So 3/4 of the savings comes from cutting the wages of lower income workers.
Curious what your source is on this one. I would have thought if the federal contractor minimum wage had been adjusted I would have found out about it, but I haven't heard a word and can't find anything about it either.
Since you are asking for a source, I'll reply to this once. My original source was a Politico article that did not identify the specific regulation by name, and I now think I identified the wrong one. Here's the spreadsheet that shows the savings due to regulatory reform according to the Trump Administration. Let me highlight the two most important numbers.
Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 9.11.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 9.11.54 PM.png (71.9 KiB) Viewed 365 times
So almost 6 billion is due to changes in Federal Acquisition Regulation. Politico looked into that and identified this:
And of the $8.1 billion in cost savings, nearly $6 billion came from the elimination of Obama’s 2014 executive order raising labor standards for federal contractors, repealed by the GOP Congress in March.
There was only one Federal Acquisition regulation repealed at March, this one:
Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 8.51.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 8.51.46 AM.png (60.7 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Here is the original law and the new guidance:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-0 ... -19676.pdf

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... workplaces
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Our 3rd reading from Scripture at today's Mass resonated with me in these times. What is striking is that Paul preached this at a time that saw the Roman Empire at the height of its political and military power.

[bible]1 Corinthians 7, 29-31[/bible]
Could this not be referring to the destruction of Jerusalem in AD70 ?
Perhaps. We do know that the Bible has prophesies. In that passage though, according to quite a few commentaries, Paul is addressing right attitudes in the face of the culture in which disciples live, a culture that mirrors our own as history repeats. As Christians we take his words as both prophecy and discipleship teachings. The Bible has always been relevant vis a vis human behaviors which have not changed since the dawn of the human race. For that reason I found that passage both particularly comforting and reaffirming.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote:
Sudsy wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Our 3rd reading from Scripture at today's Mass resonated with me in these times. What is striking is that Paul preached this at a time that saw the Roman Empire at the height of its political and military power.

[bible]1 Corinthians 7, 29-31[/bible]
Could this not be referring to the destruction of Jerusalem in AD70 ?
Perhaps. We do know that the Bible has prophesies. In that passage though, according to quite a few commentaries, Paul is addressing right attitudes in the face of the culture in which disciples live, a culture that mirrors our own as history repeats. As Christians we take his words as both prophecy and discipleship teachings. The Bible has always been relevant vis a vis human behaviors which have not changed since the dawn of the human race. For that reason I found that passage both particularly comforting and reaffirming.
Yes and amen. I like the way the NLT puts verse 35 - "I am saying this for your benefit, not to place restrictions on you. I want you to do whatever will help you serve the Lord best, with as few distractions as possible." Like 2 Timothy 2:4 - "Soldiers don't get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them."

A very good reminder for our threads. Whether it be politics, sports, the environment, various hobbies or whatever is temporal, we are to put little investment in these areas so we can best serve the Lord. Thankyou, I need this reminder often.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote: I've wondered already why the Republicans wouldn't want Pence instead.
Because the age of electable Pence type politicians is over would be my guess.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Even though I believe Trump to be exceedingly corrupt, unprincipled, venal and debauched, I really appreciate the deregulation that Trump promotes and the conservative judge he nominated, and his passive approach toward social issues.

I think as the western world sinks into relativism and hedonism becomes more prevalent and discipline becomes lost, there becomes a vacuum and hunger for truth that a strong man can take advantage of, even if he isn't really offering truth.
Small passionate, disciplined numbers have always beaten larger apathetic numbers.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

RZehr wrote:
Ernie wrote: I've wondered already why the Republicans wouldn't want Pence instead.
Because the age of electable Pence type politicians is over would be my guess.
He seems to have been electable enough in his runs for governor and VP. But I agree that his most likely path to the presidency is through vacancy of the office rather than election.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I would advise everyone here who is unhappy about Trump to get to know some of the types of people who are typical Trump voters and understand them better.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:I would advise everyone here who is unhappy about Trump to get to know some of the types of people who are typical Trump voters and understand them better.
And while doing that look for opportunities to point them to a whole different way of life in a separate, eternal Kingdom. Same for those happy with Trump. I'm going to keep pushing back on political involvement just as I think others would push back if I got into in depth discussions on professional sports. It's about keeping an eternal perspective on whatever goes on in this world. Hard to do with all the media we are bombarded with. At least, it is for me and in the past, has caused me to stumble. Stumble in the sense of controlling the bulk of my thoughts.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit