Politics and Squabbling: Calling people evil or demonic

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Calling people evil or demonic

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:50 am It would be nice to keep American politics from wandering into this category of General Theology. Some of us, really don't care to discuss the sinning going on in politics as it tends to promote sinning in me. I am thankful that we have this option in this forum to stay out of the Politics subforum.
I’d say it’s worse during the political season… but I don’t think that season has ended for the last 8 odd years.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Soloist wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:02 pm
Sudsy wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:50 am It would be nice to keep American politics from wandering into this category of General Theology. Some of us, really don't care to discuss the sinning going on in politics as it tends to promote sinning in me. I am thankful that we have this option in this forum to stay out of the Politics subforum.
I’d say it’s worse during the political season… but I don’t think that season has ended for the last 8 odd years.
Or at least the last four years :o
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:25 pm
Soloist wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:02 pm I’d say it’s worse during the political season… but I don’t think that season has ended for the last 8 odd years.
Or at least the last four years :o
2015-2016, but it was trendng that way years before, i.e., unending political “seasons.” It became official in 2016. That was the year i cancelled satellite TV, both “news” and “entertainment” became heavily partisan. No longer news or entertainment.

i’m not searching for it, but i recall obama speaking to it, i think in his first term. wrt unending political campaigns.
however, decades before, there were LOTS of complaints about “news” media gaining too much political influence+power.
W complained about media.

example:
decades ago, my folks wanted to hear presidents speak -NOT- talking heads speculating on what was expected to be said, or, their interpretation of what had been said! i was a child, not sure what they were talking about. now “we” get this nonsense 24-7.

2016, i unplugged TV, no regrets. i don’t follow twitter/X, etc.
i get more than enough on this forum.

i’ve developed a youtube habit.
again, i don’t “follow” any particular accounts. there are a few i’m more likely to view. my experience is hit+miss.
often, i view those i believe are everyday conservative people. not professionals, not academics, not geniuses. often, just everyday people. they typically are honest+humble about their views. many of these are some description Christian.

sometimes i watch train videos. ATC-pilot videos. science. psych. sermons. recipes. history.

i enjoy MN, ‘cause it’s a mix of people, all socio-economic stations, with common interest in Jesus Christ. usually with interest in CMs. a few out to get CMs.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Can we move some of this to a Politics thread?
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Politics and Squabbling: Calling people evil or demonic

Post by Grace »

Just to let people know. On my board It appears that I would have started this thread back on March 30th. And it shows up as "Politics and Squabbling: Calling people evil or demonic". Maybe it doesn't show up on other people's board as such. But if it does, that is incorrect, as I never started a thread with that title listed. I am not sure if some magic fairy flew in and lighted itself on Mennonet and started a thread using my name or what. If that is the case it would be great if that magic fairy would be an honest little fairy and revert the thread back to its original title listing the original poster. And then maybe offer an explanation why she/he did what they did.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I have added a reference to the previous thread in the OP. When threads are split, in this case due to complaints about political content, the first post inherits the name of that post's poster as the originator of the thread. Bootstrap is still the OP of the original thread, which remains in General Theology.

Is calling me a dishonest magic fairy better than calling someone evil or demonic? :P
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:03 pm I have added a reference to the previous thread in the OP. When threads are split, in this case due to complaints about political content, the first post inherits the name of that post's poster as the originator of the thread. Bootstrap is still the OP of the original thread, which remains in General Theology.

Is calling me a dishonest magic fairy better than calling someone evil or demonic? :P
Thanks for the honest explanation. And now that I know how it works, I will apologize for deeming the little fairy as dishonest.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Grace wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:11 pm
ohio jones wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:03 pm I have added a reference to the previous thread in the OP. When threads are split, in this case due to complaints about political content, the first post inherits the name of that post's poster as the originator of the thread. Bootstrap is still the OP of the original thread, which remains in General Theology.

Thanks for the honest explanation. And now that I know how it works, I will apologize for deeming the little fairy as dishonest.
Grace,
i understand your surprise, it’s been years, but similar happened to me with Bunny Trails and Bunny Trails: Politics, i was never sure how to improve this consequence, when it was mods that created the new thread, not the poster of the initial topic! :P
i’m sure it’s happened lots of times. not every time. sometimes, the spin-off OP is 100% voluntary.

i like the red-letter note added to the top this thread. that’s helpful. :wave:

wrt going off-topic, “somewhere” Robert suggested/requested members try to stay on topic for the first pages -
however, many-a topic goes off on the first page, without janitorial fairies intervening. it can be dismaying.

thus, when bts happen several pages in, i try not to think about it.

i accept the subjective nature of this informal, private discussion forum. i want to stick with doing so.

Lastly, if this subject line were trimmed to: “Politics: Calling people evil or demonic”
that might help the tone. the conversation isn’t hearts+flowers, but not squabbling, either, from what i noticed.

the squabbler was accomodated again. :lol:
complainers ..
viewtopic.php?t=5992
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN