Trump targeted in another attempted assassination

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: Trump targeted in another attempted assassination

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:53 pm
It is also factually correct to say that he has been indicted in criminal court for the same behavior. Which is more overwhelming evidence that he was not innocent of the charges, even if the Senate lacked the votes to convict.
It may be evidence, but not proof. Innocent until proven guilty.

Ken, it seems your political bias overpowers your Anabaptist foundations. You may feel it doesn't, but to many of us it seems that it does. This is how we hear it. It makes for difficult conversations on an Anabaptist focused forum.

We are called to speak what is good in building up of others. We should work to see the positive in other people. To constantly point out the negative is missing the spirit of who we should be. We should be honest, but also gracious. I miss the mark at times myself. We all do, but to do so continually and with strong intent speaks to where a person's heart is. I fear you border on hatred. This is not good for your spiritual walk. It might be good for you to fast from it to see if it improves your spiritual walk. Just a thought.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:42 am
Ken wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:53 pm
It is also factually correct to say that he has been indicted in criminal court for the same behavior. Which is more overwhelming evidence that he was not innocent of the charges, even if the Senate lacked the votes to convict.
It may be evidence, but not proof. Innocent until proven guilty.

Ken, it seems your political bias overpowers your Anabaptist foundations. You may feel it doesn't, but to many of us it seems that it does. This is how we hear it. It makes for difficult conversations on an Anabaptist focused forum.

We are called to speak what is good in building up of others. We should work to see the positive in other people. To constantly point out the negative is missing the spirit of who we should be. We should be honest, but also gracious. I miss the mark at times myself. We all do, but to do so continually and with strong intent speaks to where a person's heart is. I fear you border on hatred. This is not good for your spiritual walk. It might be good for you to fast from it to see if it improves your spiritual walk. Just a thought.
Look. We got on this particular tangent because Grace accused Democrats of claiming that Trump is a threat to democracy and were comparing him to Hitler.

I simply pointed out that the first part is objectively true. Anyone who has paid any attention to American politics over the past 4 years has had a front row seat to Trump endlessly lying about the results of the 2020 election, lying about election workers, lying about fraud, attacking election workers across the country including Republicans in Georgia, and yes, instigating the events of 1/6. And he continues to double-down on all of that today in his campaign, including in the recent debate. On does not need to wait for the results of a criminal trial to reach conclusions about Trump’s respect for elections and democracy. We all have eyes and ears. This isn’t about partisanship. I have voted and supported Republicans over the years and expect to do so again. I also worked directly with and for Republican politicians for years. My comments were specifically about Trump’s lack of respect for American democracy. The fact that he was impeached for his actions is simply an example, nothing more.

As for the second part? The only elected official I’m aware of who has compared Trump to Hitler is his own running mate JD Vance. Who I suppose should know. There may be others. I haven’t really paid attention. I find Hitler comparisons tiresome myself.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Some Republicans are blaming Democratic candidates for violent rhetoric that resulted in two assassination attempts. (with one dead and several wounded)
Some Democrats are blaming Republican candidates for violent rhetoric that resulted in rioting inside the US capitol. many wounded, and several people dead.
Soon Republicans may be trying to incriminate Democrats for inciting violence.

Both groups think the point they are making is clear as crystal. But their opponents deny any connection.

I wonder how long this crazy cycle can continue without worse things happening.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:20 pm Some Republicans are blaming Democratic candidates for violent rhetoric that resulted in two assassination attempts. (with one dead and several wounded)
Some Democrats are blaming Republican candidates for violent rhetoric that resulted in rioting inside the US capitol. many wounded, and several people dead.
Soon Republicans may be trying to incriminate Democrats for inciting violence.

Both groups think the point they are making is clear as crystal. But their opponents deny any connection.

I wonder how long this crazy cycle can continue without worse things happening.
Honestly, there are always crazies out there who want to cause harm. That is a constant in American politics and has been for generations. Part of the paranoid style of American politics described by Hofstadter. I think the only reason why this most recent event is getting so much media attention is because it comes in the wake of the recent PA shooting attempt. But this guy got nowhere close to Trump and doesn't strike me as any different from any other recent similar event.

For example does anyone even remember the Nazi guy who crashed a U-Haul into the White House last year trying to assassinate the President? https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/man-ram ... =110185541

Or the guy last year in Utah who was plotting to assassinate both Biden and Harris who died in a shootout with the FBI? https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/u ... ed-warrant

Or the guy before that with a van full of weapons who tried to assassinate candidate Biden at his Delaware home before the 2020 election? https://wapo.st/3zySGWR

Or did those all go down the collective memory hole?
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:37 pm For example does anyone even remember the Nazi guy who crashed a U-Haul into the White House last year trying to assassinate the President? https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/man-ram ... =110185541

Or the guy last year in Utah who was plotting to assassinate both Biden and Harris who died in a shootout with the FBI? https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/u ... ed-warrant

Or the guy before that with a van full of weapons who tried to assassinate candidate Biden at his Delaware home before the 2020 election? https://wapo.st/3zySGWR

Or did those all go down the collective memory hole?
I was unaware of all three.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Ernie wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:20 pm Some Democrats are blaming Republican candidates for violent rhetoric that resulted in rioting inside the US capitol. many wounded, and several people dead.
No Capitol Police died.
0 x
R7ehr
Affiliation: C. Mennonite

Post by R7ehr »

Former President Trump said Tuesday that both President Biden and Vice President Harris were “so nice” in their calls following an apparent assassination attempt on Trump, hinting that it made it more difficult to attack them.

“He was so nice to me yesterday. In one way I sort of wish the call wasn’t made because I do feel a little — He’s so nice. ‘I’m so sorry about what happened and all that,'” Trump said at a campaign town hall in Michigan, recounting his call with Biden on Monday.

“Same with Kamala today. She could not have been nicer,” Trump added. “But the fact is we have to have people that are respected by the opponent.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-quips- ... 24784.html
I suppose all the world leaders know that if they flatter Trump it makes him happy.

I guess this could be as near as Trump can get to doing his part in turning down the rhetoric.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:30 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:20 pm Some Democrats are blaming Republican candidates for violent rhetoric that resulted in rioting inside the US capitol. many wounded, and several people dead.
No Capitol Police died.
Brian Sicknick was sprayed with bear spray, and died the next day of a heart attack.

Howard Liebengood and Jeffrey Smith each committed suicide less than a week after the January 6th attacks. Kyle DeFreytag and Gunther Hashida each committed suicide within months after the January 6th attacks.

All five of these deaths have been linked to January 6th.

Not an excuse for anyone to try to assassinate Trump. Clearly, that's wrong. But Trump has definitely ramped up the amount of violent rhetoric in American politics, way beyond what is normal in recent history. And we are seeing that in actual violence, attempted violence, death threats, etc.

Not just against Trump.
1 x
Moses
Affiliation: Jewish

Post by Moses »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:46 am Brian Sicknick was sprayed with bear spray, and died the next day of a heart attack.
You of all people should know that correlation does not equal causation. Also I think if you would ask GPT it would tell you that the medical examiner determined that Sicknick died from natural causes - specifically from strokes caused by a blood clot.
Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:46 am Howard Liebengood and Jeffrey Smith each committed suicide less than a week after the January 6th attacks. Kyle DeFreytag and Gunther Hashida each committed suicide within months after the January 6th attacks.
I gotta say that sounds more like killings by law enforcement than killings by the protesters.

Look, the violence by some of the protestors was wrong. No doubt about it.
When you justify the police for shooting and killing a protestor and blame the protestors for suicides by the police months later it makes you sound desperate. Maybe the stress from the protests and the bear spray triggered Sicknick's strokes, maybe not. Maybe if he had pre-existing conditions placing him at a higher risk for a stress induced stroke he shouldn't even have been on patrol duty to start with.
1 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Bootstrap wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:46 am
Robert wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:30 pm
No Capitol Police died.
Brian Sicknick was sprayed with bear spray, and died the next day of a heart attack.

Howard Liebengood and Jeffrey Smith each committed suicide less than a week after the January 6th attacks. Kyle DeFreytag and Gunther Hashida each committed suicide within months after the January 6th attacks.

All five of these deaths have been linked to January 6th.

Not an excuse for anyone to try to assassinate Trump. Clearly, that's wrong. But Trump has definitely ramped up the amount of violent rhetoric in American politics, way beyond what is normal in recent history. And we are seeing that in actual violence, attempted violence, death threats, etc.

Not just against Trump.
The medical examiner reported that Sicknick died from two strokes and that his death was from natural causes. Strokes come from blocked arteries and small clots are released into vessels in the brain. The term "natural" was used to indicate a death caused by a disease alone; and if an injury contributed to the manner of death, it would not be considered natural. Clogged arteries don’t just happen overnight, but take years to form. There is no proof that the spray caused the stroke.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_ ... ery%20clot).

As for suicides, although tragic, are done by the person themselves. And usually, people who are suicidal have depression issues long before the actual suicide. Whether January 6, was the tipping point for them, no one knows that, either.

The deaths of these men did NOT happen on Jan. 6, as the Biden Administration has lied about numerous times.

Four people died on January 6 and all were Trump supporters. One died from an amphetamine overdose. Two other Trump supporters had cardiovascular histories and died of heart attacks.

Ashli Babbitt, was shot by the police.
0 x