Not-so-United Methodists

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Not-so-United Methodists

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote:How did that turn out for the conservatives who decided to stay? I don’t see that being too successful.
I don’t know that keeping control of organizations and real estate is all that crucial in the scheme of history.
I don’t see why we should always just roll over and do whatever the liberals want.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:How did that turn out for the conservatives who decided to stay? I don’t see that being too successful.
I don’t know that keeping control of organizations and real estate is all that crucial in the scheme of history.
I don’t see why we should always just roll over and do whatever the liberals want.
I don't either. Was someone suggesting we should?

Fighting to keep control of real estate and assets doesn't seem like the way of Christ.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

HondurasKeiser wrote:
ohio jones wrote: I assume he's referring to erosion rather than one specific division: 40% of MCUSA membership over the last two decades, with most of those leaving being conservatives, relatively speaking. The liberals "made off with" the denomination by staying put.
Wearing us down with interminable 'dialogue'.
HK, you’ve summed up in one sentence the major tactic of those who want to ignore the Bible and Church teachings.

Well said (from a Catholic who sees the same tactic used by those in the Catholic Church).
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

MaxPC wrote:
HondurasKeiser wrote:
ohio jones wrote: I assume he's referring to erosion rather than one specific division: 40% of MCUSA membership over the last two decades, with most of those leaving being conservatives, relatively speaking. The liberals "made off with" the denomination by staying put.
Wearing us down with interminable 'dialogue'.
HK, you’ve summed up in one sentence the major tactic of those who want to ignore the Bible and Church teachings.

Well said (from a Catholic who sees the same tactic used by those in the Catholic Church).
With respect to the Catholic Church and the recently convoked Amazon Synod, Tyler Arnold writing at the American Conservative writes:
In the Summa Theologica, St. Thomas Aquinas wrote that natural law, which he defines as a rational creature’s participation in God’s eternal law, is common to all nations. This natural law, he said, is the way by which all men are inclined to act based on their search for the good. Because everyone can reason, all cultures can comprehend and teach some elements of virtue, which allows them to participate in God’s eternal law.

Because every culture will have some participation in the eternal law, Pope St. John Paul II wrote in Fides et Ratio that no culture is at odds with the Gospel, but rather that the Gospel “is a genuine liberation from all the disorders caused by sin” and is “a call to the fullness of truth.” He makes clear that this truth is not understood through dialogue between different cultures, but through the conversion that originates in “the depths of the human soul” when it hears about Christ.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

HondurasKeiser wrote:With respect to the Catholic Church and the recently convoked Amazon Synod ...
:shock: :shock: This appears to be a prime example of the commercialization of the religious marketplace; I hope it doesn't kindle a larger movement that would cloud more important issues. Given Jeff's support of same-sex marriage, I assumed he was not Catholic; maybe it's just an affiliate relationship.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

ohio jones wrote:
HondurasKeiser wrote:With respect to the Catholic Church and the recently convoked Amazon Synod ...
:shock: :shock: This appears to be a prime example of the commercialization of the religious marketplace; I hope it doesn't kindle a larger movement that would cloud more important issues. Given Jeff's support of same-sex marriage, I assumed he was not Catholic; maybe it's just an affiliate relationship.
I’m lost OJ, who is Jeff?
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

HondurasKeiser wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
Never mind...I see what you did there. I always take you too literally at first-read.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

HondurasKeiser wrote:
HondurasKeiser wrote:
ohio jones wrote: :shock: :shock: This appears to be a prime example of the commercialization of the religious marketplace; I hope it doesn't kindle a larger movement that would cloud more important issues. Given Jeff's support of same-sex marriage, I assumed he was not Catholic; maybe it's just an affiliate relationship.
Never mind...I see what you did there. I always take you too literally at first-read.
can you, with confidence, underline e-v-e-r-y punified word in his paragraph? :P

imagine oj on an architectural committee. :)
https://www.boredpanda.com/top-33-world ... buildings/

0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
apt to be friends with Jesuit Fr Martin.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

:laugh
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God