Contraception as factor in the Abortion Problem

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1

Re: Contraception as factor in the Abortion Problem

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
RZehr wrote:I’d rather it be dangerous and life threatening than legal, safe and convenient.
Murder should be a dangerous activity and the consequences should be serious and immediate.

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.
It would only be dangerous for the poor. The people of means faced no risk.
Once again, I am opposed to abortion, but just making sure all of you young folk are aware of the realities of the pre Rowe world.
J.M.
how magnanimous of you.
for comparison, it would be marvelous to see a true, full list of pros+cons, of birth control pills and abortion, i’m not sure that’s possible, because so many social and cultural aspects are involved.

one interesting reality of God’s design is, poor people have an easier time humbling themselves to Him, and, this includes their attitudes and acceptance of life’s realities. in the poor family i grew up in, and in that (“culturally mixed”) community, before RvW, chastity until marriage was valued and prioritized, marriage was prioritized, convenient+planned or not, CHILDREN WERE LOVED AND VALUED.

cheap+free contraception/abortion has robbed poor people of more than it’s “gifted.”

when i was in high school, i heard rumors 2 different girls had gotten pregnant. one was wealthy, one was poor. both left school to have their babies. one beautiful cousin scandalously “got pregnant” at 16, she left school, married the father, they had 2 more .. she is now the very very happy, doting grandmother of several, very close to her 3 sons. abortion would have improved .. what??

pregnant (children/teens) were removed from public school settings in those days, they began adult life early, often with help of their families, the new+valued babies took priority (of course!) lives adjusted to nurture (not eliminate) new life.

30 years later, i was shocked when our daughter came home from middle school talking about the pregnant girls in gym class - accommodations are now made for them, there are now so many, premarital sex is no longer taboo, child pregnancies are normalized.

sadly, our children’s pediatrician shared some of his thoughts, that teen pregnancy is frequent and sad, not only emotionally and financially unprepared, but teen bodies are still growing, they are not physically prepared for pregnancy. he did not suggest abortion to be the answer.

meanwhile, often, the fathers run free without consequences, often leaving multiples of children with multiples of mothers in their wake - at taxpayer expense. all of this, at taxpayer expense.

certainly, sad things happen, horrific things happen.
but, humans are not good at figuring out which of God’s plans can be altered nor how.

how is it decided what is really helping the poor, and what is hurting?
‘cause, from what i experience and witness, human stats are grossly limited, never full.
not even close.

aside from the Christian perspective of abstaining, there was a very practical reality poor people accepted. “old enough to play, old enough to pay.” :shock:

a simple reality like this, that even a child can grasp, universally true, like learning not to touch that hot stove, personal accountability is important. when you want something a lot - you work to earn it.

in the case of sexual intimacy, which is very much wanted by most people, rich or poor, “earning” it involves money, and more than money. it involves time/years to mature, finding a marriage partner, personal commitment to the marriage. it involves being more than an animal, a slave of instincts.

no doubt, some abortion horror stories happened, and would happen.
quite frankly, they have not stopped happening. most i read about these days are of (privileged) girls who can’t face parents - possibly more because our present ed system teaches them mom+dad can’t be trusted, no need to risk it! - no communication there to establish trust. but, how often do young ones learn, wow, their parents love them, anyway?!

systematically removing parents from the equation because some parents fail is an awful mistake. good intentions. bleat.

i’m not sure i’ve ever heard of any more slimy/repugnant thing in my life than DIY abortion pills.

to imagine young girls subjecting themselves to that. it’s painful.
yet, the big thing now is to supply college campuses with these poison pills, no questions asked.
how low can society go?

without exception, all these things begin with THE BEST INTENTIONS.
humans aren’t sufficient for figuring things out. we fall short. children are hurt, children die.

politicians are elected; corporations profit. yep. yes they do.

God loves poor people. He isn’t out to harm them/us. He offers Hope.
humans interfere. human interference should be the scary terrifying part.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

For me, as a layperson, i’m encouraged by this particular part of the new Alabama law that is not criminalizing unwanted pregnancies. Abortionists would face felony charges. Imagine that.
July 2, 2019. Quoted from a TIME report -

Alabama abortion law details
:arrow: Under the “The Alabama Human Life Protection Act,” performing an abortion in Alabama would be a felony.

The legislation, which Ivey signed into law on May 15, defines a fetus as a legal person “for homicide purposes” and compares abortion to the Holocaust and other genocides.

:arrow: The woman who receives the abortion would not be held “criminally culpable or civilly liable.”
Many of us living today were extremely unexpected, unplanned, unwanted, perhaps hated.
But, God’s plan is best.
Even in my real life, my real family, lots of initially inconvenient, unwanted babies grew into hearts, becoming the “most loved” of all. Sometimes, the unwanted have made the greatest contributions.

God allows heartache. His end plan is perfect.

i’m posting this because so often, pro-abortion folks shout:
“you want to punish/imprison women!” :evil:

No. False. That’s not what is wanted.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

For the record, MCUSA has a statement on abortion. It is the best thing I have seen coming out of MCUSA, IMHO.

It would generally reflect my views.

J.M.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

temporal1 wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
RZehr wrote:I’d rather it be dangerous and life threatening than legal, safe and convenient.
Murder should be a dangerous activity and the consequences should be serious and immediate.

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.
Once again, I am opposed to abortion, but just making sure all of you young folk are aware of the realities of the pre Rowe world.
J.M.
how magnanimous of you.
for comparison, it would be marvelous to see a true, full list of pros+cons, of birth control pills and abortion, i’m not sure that’s possible, because so many social and cultural aspects are involved.

one interesting reality of God’s design is, poor people have an easier time humbling themselves to Him, and, this includes their attitudes and acceptance of life’s realities. in the poor family i grew up in, and in that (“culturally mixed”) community, before RvW, chastity until marriage was valued and prioritized, marriage was prioritized, convenient+planned or not, CHILDREN WERE LOVED AND VALUED.

cheap+free contraception/abortion has robbed poor people of more than it’s “gifted.”

when i was in high school, i heard rumors 2 different girls had gotten pregnant. one was wealthy, one was poor. both left school to have their babies. one beautiful cousin scandalously “got pregnant” at 16, she left school, married the father, they had 2 more .. she is now the very very happy, doting grandmother of several, very close to her 3 sons. abortion would have improved .. what??

pregnant (children/teens) were removed from public school settings in those days, they began adult life early, often with help of their families, the new+valued babies took priority (of course!) lives adjusted to nurture (not eliminate) new life.

30 years later, i was shocked when our daughter came home from middle school talking about the pregnant girls in gym class - accommodations are now made for them, there are now so many, premarital sex is no longer taboo, child pregnancies are normalized.

sadly, our children’s pediatrician shared some of his thoughts, that teen pregnancy is frequent and sad, not only emotionally and financially unprepared, but teen bodies are still growing, they are not physically prepared for pregnancy. he did not suggest abortion to be the answer.

meanwhile, often, the fathers run free without consequences, often leaving multiples of children with multiples of mothers in their wake - at taxpayer expense. all of this, at taxpayer expense.

certainly, sad things happen, horrific things happen.
but, humans are not good at figuring out which of God’s plans can be altered nor how.

how is it decided what is really helping the poor, and what is hurting?
‘cause, from what i experience and witness, human stats are grossly limited, never full.
not even close.

aside from the Christian perspective of abstaining, there was a very practical reality poor people accepted. “old enough to play, old enough to pay.” :shock:

a simple reality like this, that even a child can grasp, universally true, like learning not to touch that hot stove, personal accountability is important. when you want something a lot - you work to earn it.

in the case of sexual intimacy, which is very much wanted by most people, rich or poor, “earning” it involves money, and more than money. it involves time/years to mature, finding a marriage partner, personal commitment to the marriage. it involves being more than an animal, a slave of instincts.

no doubt, some abortion horror stories happened, and would happen.
quite frankly, they have not stopped happening. most i read about these days are of (privileged) girls who can’t face parents - possibly more because our present ed system teaches them mom+dad can’t be trusted, no need to risk it! - no communication there to establish trust. but, how often do young ones learn, wow, their parents love them, anyway?!

systematically removing parents from the equation because some parents fail is an awful mistake. good intentions. bleat.

i’m not sure i’ve ever heard of any more slimy/repugnant thing in my life than DIY abortion pills.

to imagine young girls subjecting themselves to that. it’s painful.
yet, the big thing now is to supply college campuses with these poison pills, no questions asked.
how low can society go?

without exception, all these things begin with THE BEST INTENTIONS.
humans aren’t sufficient for figuring things out. we fall short. children are hurt, children die.

politicians are elected; corporations profit. yep. yes they do.

God loves poor people. He isn’t out to harm them/us. He offers Hope.
humans interfere. human interference should be the scary terrifying part.
Most healthcare providers under 65 have never seen a woman come in in septic shock and die on their hands. Still was happening into the 70’s. Instead of one life lost, you have two. Mostly young, all poor. I will never forget it to my grave.

This is why I believe spending your time talking to people about Jesus is the only solution, political efforts simply move the problem around.

J.M.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:

J.M.
Unfortunately the wealthy always have better options when it comes to mitigating the results of their sin and crimes. I don’t see that as a convincing reason to legalize crime. And while I’m fine with going back as it was, I’m a little skeptical that it actually would be as dangerous as it should be. With cheap abortion pills and the Internet, I don’t see it going back to the way it was.
If we can’t keep illegal drugs off the streets, we wouldn’t keep illegal abortion pills off the streets either.

Speaking of illegal drugs, let’s keep them illegal. Let’s not use the argument that people are going to use them anyway, so let’s provide it for free to the populace. Makes as much sense as legalizing abortion. Both are incredibly harmful to society, even though people don’t see it all the time. People are so throughly captured by sin and self that they need laws and consequences just to for society to operate functionally.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:For the record, MCUSA has a statement on abortion. It is the best thing I have seen coming out of MCUSA, IMHO.
It would generally reflect my views.
J.M.
possibly someone will post that statement.
J.M.
Most healthcare providers under 65 have never seen a woman come in in septic shock and die on their hands. Still was happening into the 70’s. Instead of one life lost, you have two. Mostly young, all poor. I will never forget it to my grave.

This is why I believe spending your time talking to people about Jesus is the only solution, political efforts simply move the problem around.
J.M.
Sepsis still happens.
A few years ago, i had a “routine” major surgery, as an outpatient.
The surgeon made a tiny error, slightly knicking my nearby bladder. i went into sepsis. the worst part was, no professional noticed for over 24 hours, altho my grown children were present, alarmed at my GREEN skin color, i was told, i “blew through” morphine, was given fentanyl, the pros said i was fine, and my family must take me home. it was an early morning surgery. by evening, my daughter put her foot down and said there was no way they would take me home “like that.”
i was out of it, no memory. i believe my children, if anything, i’m sure it was worse than i was told.

i’m told, i was put in “a hospital room.” i do not remember it.
by the middle of the next afternoon, a nurse came in, took one look at me and demanded the surgeon.
he responded immediately. i cannot imagine his reaction - esp to not being called in POST-OP, when my family was initially horrified.

he reviewed everything, concluded it must have been the bladder, he called a urologist, the second surgery was scheduled. even in my blurred state, i was able to discuss some things with my surgeon. i assured him i was sure it was an accident, i would not sue. strange how some things can be so clear, others missing. i recall seeing him very early mornings, at the foot of my bed, praying. i don’t believe he knew i was aware.

:arrow: i am not against surgeons/surgeries because there are grave surgical accidents.

when i say i cannot fathom children, teens, women alone in bathrooms ingesting abortion pills,
i mean it.

(i believe) professionals have important insights, there are also shortcomings.
police officers, daily subjected to crime, must maintain balance that not all are criminals.

i agree with you about Jesus being The Answer.

i’m not politically active, altho it might appear so on this forum. i’ve never been part of a political party. i have mostly not voted in my life, altho i have never been Anabaptist.

i appreciate what some are willing to do in attempt to stave-off outright debauchery.
i’m never sure if i’m doing enough. i saw my life’s role as wife and mother, now grandmother, and i’m thankful for those roles. we experienced 3 miscarriages, i do not forget.

so much in the world is now politicized.
i believe “we” are remiss to allow politicians to do this to us, it is for THEIR gain, not for the common good. “we” need to improve on recognizing this and rejecting it.

professionals need to be aware of ordinary people who are taxed with living in real life the decisions they make. pros need Jesus. ‘cause He sees all. in fullness and in perspective. impossible for humans, even the pros.

i’m specially thankful for professionals who have not lost Jesus along their way.
the surgeon praying at the foot of my hospital bed may never know what his small act, a moment he devoted, probably on his way to his next early morning surgery, meant to me.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

RZehr wrote:Unfortunately the wealthy always have better options when it comes to mitigating the results of their sin and crimes. I don’t see that as a convincing reason to legalize crime. And while I’m fine with going back as it was, I’m a little skeptical that it actually would be as dangerous as it should be. With cheap abortion pills and the Internet, I don’t see it going back to the way it was.
Somewhere I read (seems like it might have been GK Chesterton) that when birth control came out it was touted as a means for the poor to prevent children, which we all know simply compounds their problems; but the actual affect was that birth control was used far more often by the wealthy, not the poor.

Even today it is still so, according to the Brookings Institute.
Brookings Institute wrote:Low-income women are more than five times as likely than affluent women to experience an unintended pregnancy, which has significant implications for social mobility given that unplanned childbearing is associated with higher rates of poverty, less family stability, and worse outcomes for children, according to a new Brookings Center on Children and Families (CCF) paper published today... But low-income women are less likely to use contraception, are thus more likely to get pregnant, and also have lower abortion rates when compared to their more affluent counterparts, the paper finds...
According to a lot of people the solution is to make birth control cheaper and cheaper or actually free, as if economics were the primary reason the poor don't use birth control. Eventually people will come around to seeing that if we don't want the wrong kind of people reproducing, more drastic measures yet will have to be used. [tongue in cheek here]
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Here:

Statement on Abortion (Mennonite Church USA, 2003)
Based on former Mennonite Church (1975) and General Conference Mennonite Church (1980) statements. Adopted by the 2003 Delegate Assembly.

Contents [hide]
1 I. Preamble
2 II. We believe
3 III. We confess
4 IV. Commentary2 (corresponding to Sections II and III)
4.1 Human life is a gift from God to be valued and protected.
4.2 The fetus in its earliest stages (and even if imperfect by human standards) shares humanity with those who conceived it.
4.3 There are times when deeply held values come in conflict with each other.
4.4 The faith community should be a place for discernment.
4.5 Abortion should not be used to interrupt unwanted pregnancies.
4.6 We are committed to providing care and support for those infants who are carried to term.
4.7 We commit ourselves to support professional caregivers.
4.8 We will advocate for a society that does not rely on abortion as the primary solution to problem pregnancies.
4.9 We will act with compassion toward those who choose to have an abortion.
4.10 We seek to become a more compassionate body, rather than judgmental of those with unwanted pregnancies.
4.11 We commit ourselves to work for a just health care system that will assist poor families in caring for their children.
5 V. A call to the congregation
5.1 Reference Committee
5.2 Recommended reading
6 Footnotes
I. Preamble
"We believe that God has created human beings in the divine image. God formed them from the dust of the earth and gave them a special dignity among all the works of creation. Human beings have been made for relationship with God, to live in peace with each other, and to take care of the rest of creation."1 (Article VI, Confession of Faith in a Mennonite Perspective)

II. We believe
Human life is a gift from God to be valued and protected. We oppose abortion because it runs counter to biblical principles.
The fetus in its earliest stages (and even if imperfect by human standards) shares humanity with those who conceived it.
There are times when deeply held values, such as saving the life of the mother and saving the life of the fetus, come in conflict with each other.
The faith community should be a place for discernment about difficult issues like abortion.
Abortion should not be used to interrupt unwanted pregnancies.
Christians must provide viable alternatives to abortion that provide care and support for mothers and infants.
The church should witness to society regarding the value of all human life.
Professionals whose ministry involves dealing with the moral dilemmas of abortion and reproductive technologies need our support.
III. We confess
We have failed to offer a clear voice affirming life as an alternative to our society’s frequent reliance upon abortion as the solution to problem pregnancies.
We have failed to show compassion for those who are suffering the consequences of abortion.
We have failed to work for a just health care system that would assist poor families in caring for their children.
IV. Commentary2 (corresponding to Sections II and III)
Human life is a gift from God to be valued and protected.
Humanity and humans have a special place in God’s creation. The Bible teaches that all human life is a gift of God and of immeasurable worth in His sight:

The Psalmist speaks of God’s intimate involvement in the creation of human life. "For it was you who formed my inward parts; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; that I know very well" (Psalm 139:13, 14).
Abortion runs counter to biblical principles which give a high value to human life. "Portrayal of God as the author and giver of life creates a general presumption against any human decision to terminate life."3
We are created in God’s image (Genesis 1:26, 27; Genesis 2:7-9; Genesis 9:6; Psalm 8).
We are protected and admonished by the commandment, "You shall not murder" (Exodus 20:13).
We are instructed to act in the best interests of our neighbor (Matthew 22:39; John 15:17; Romans 13:8-10; 1 Corinthians 10:24).
Throughout the Bible, we are called to demonstrate special concern for the defenseless, the widow, the orphan, the oppressed, the stranger, and the one who has no advocate. Though the Bible does not explicitly say so, in our day concern for the "defenseless" should also extend to the fetus.4
The fetus in its earliest stages (and even if imperfect by human standards) shares humanity with those who conceived it.
The Bible does not speak directly to the question of abortion. A biblical passage that indirectly speaks to the status of the fetus (Exodus 21:22-25) seems to place a higher value on the life of the mother than the fetus. For the death of the fetus, the husband is to be compensated with money, but where the wife suffers hurt or death, there shall be "life for life, eye for eye."5 The Bible places a high value on the life of the fetus, though it does not necessarily support its defense to the exclusion of all other considerations.

We understand that the fetus is not just a piece of tissue to be discarded at will. On the other hand, neither is the fetus treated as a human/person in the full sense of that term. Human life begins at conception. We agree that any attempt to define the beginning of humanness at a point along the spectrum of development is a mistake, tempting as it may be.6 At the same time, our martyr tradition and our hope in eternal life do not insist that human life trumps all other values.

Most people will choose the life of the mother if a choice must be made about the survival of either the mother or the fetus. In those rare situations when a choice must be made between the life of the mother and the life of the unborn child, Christians should prayerfully seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit with a group of believers committed to discerning the will of God.

Even though we wish every child to have a healthy body and a strong mind, the lack of such does not make the child less a person in God’s sight. Some persons7 pose a test of "personhood." For utilitarians, personhood requires higher thought processes called "preferences."

Such persons believe that since a fetus or newborn has few, if any, preferences, it should not be recognized as a person. We believe that such a test of personhood could lead to screening fetuses in order to eliminate people with disabilities or those with genetic diseases that will likely limit their life or restrict the enjoyment of life. For many families, the presence of a handicapped child has become the source of great joy. At the same time, we recognize the special challenges faced by families caring for developmentally disabled or handicapped children. We believe that the possibility of deformity or mental handicap is not sufficient reason to choose abortion.

There are times when deeply held values come in conflict with each other.
We stress the importance of respect for the life of the fetus. We condone abortion only under the most exceptional of circumstances. When abortion appears to be the least bad choice among several undesirable options, we stress the need for discernment in the faith community.

Because of the diversity of moral conviction in our society, we realize that what the law permits is not necessarily moral behavior for the Christian. We believe, however, that the church should witness to society in favor of the "general presumption against any human decision to terminate life."8 We will offer counsel about alternatives to abortion.

While many could support legislation which seeks to curtail some types of abortion, we recognize that legislation banning all abortions will not stop abortions from happening. Instead, it places sanctions on those women who choose abortion, without regard for the fathers involved or the fact that the women are already suffering the consequences of their choice. It also disproportionately affects the poor, as those with means will be able to find ways to obtain safe abortions. Further, legislation isusing the government to force others to comply with our Christian standards, something our forebears clearly rejected. We believe that the demands of discipleship are to be accepted voluntarily, not imposed legally upon everyone regardless of conviction.

The faith community should be a place for discernment.
We believe that the New Testament pictures the church as a community (koinonia), which seeks to discern the will of God and take responsibility as a group for decisions. The emphasis on individual rights and autonomy in our society has deeply affected our community. To call for discernment in the community of faith is counter-cultural in the extreme. We urge members of the faith community to engage in a discerning process rather than making decisions in isolation. We recognize that such a process will usually involve only a small group within a congregation. Through this process of counsel and mutual accountability the church may promote a standard without insisting on uniformity for all. The individual woman or couple must finally decide on the question of abortion. We believe the larger community should be available for counsel to those making the decision.

We urge pastors and congregations to foster a climate of openness so that these decisions can be worked out prayerfully in the context of Christian community. We believe that the community should be supportive of a woman or couple, sharing the responsibility for, and burden of, that decision. This would include sharing in the responsibility for the care of that person or family if a continued pregnancy leads to the birth of a child that brings hardship on a family or individual.

Abortion should not be used to interrupt unwanted pregnancies.
We support responsible decisions to limit family size. We believe that when pregnancy is not desired, responsible men and women will take responsibility for their sexual behavior. We do not support the use of abortion as a means of birth control or for limitation of family size.

We are committed to providing care and support for those infants who are carried to term.
We will seek creative alternatives to abortion that will enhance the well-being of mother, father, and child. We commit ourselves to show concern for individuals who place their children for adoption. The faith community should be ready to support financially, and in other ways, the families of all children, including those who are developmentally disabled.

The church should witness to society regarding the value of all human life.

We will promote consistency in favor of human life along the entire spectrum of human existence. We stand in opposition to sacrifice of life in the womb, in the death chamber, and through war in all its forms.

We commit ourselves to support professional caregivers.
We know that the church has often left the difficult task of dealing with persons facing abortion to the professionals in medicine, law, mental health, or social work. We commit ourselves to support our professionals whose ministry includes dealing with moral dilemmas of abortion and reproductive issues. When a person for reasons of conscience chooses not to perform or participate in performing abortions, we will advocate on their behalf.

We will advocate for a society that does not rely on abortion as the primary solution to problem pregnancies.
Historically we have affirmed the high value of human life and we continue to do so. We express deep dismay over the millions of abortions in North America since the Roe v. Wade decision in 1973. Three of ten conceptions (approximately 1.5 million each year) end in destruction of the fetus.9 On the 30th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, we restate the biblical call for preservation of life even as we recognize the difficulty of addressing moral issues by government legislation.

We recognize that within our fellowship, we hold a wide variety of convictions about abortion. We acknowledge that there are situations in which some Christians may seek abortions for what other Christians regard as selfish or inadequate reasons.

We will act with compassion toward those who choose to have an abortion.
We will support persons who are suffering as a result of their decision to have an abortion. We have too often failed to care, nurture, and support the mother or family with an unwanted pregnancy.

We seek to become a more compassionate body, rather than judgmental of those with unwanted pregnancies.
The Bible reflects an attitude of compassion toward the sinner. Jesus’ harshest words were directed against the self-righteous. He warned against judging others. He spent much time with outcasts and sinners and he told those who caught the woman in an act of adultery, "Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her" (John 8:7). We believe that persons who have an abortion for reasons regarded by others in the Christian community as wrong should be treated with love, so that Jesus’ word of redemption may become operative: "Go your way and from now on do not sin again" (John 8:11).

We commit ourselves to work for a just health care system that will assist poor families in caring for their children.
Because we are concerned about just health care for all, we will:

Recognize that protests against abortion have greater integrity when they are combined with concern for all human life.
Commit ourselves to work for a just health care system that will assist poor families in caring for their children, thus eliminating conditions that help create a culture of abortion.
Urge our members to consider becoming adoptive or foster parents to care for abused and unwanted children.
Become persistent advocates for a national health care policy which controls costs while emphasizing quality care. 10 (From MC and GC Delegate Assembly Resolutions on Health Care, 1992 and 1993)
We believe that the use of abortion among the poor is driven at times by the inequities and gaps in the present health care system. An informed woman with financial resources has always been able to get a safe abortion while a poor woman who is less informed has resorted to abortions under expensive, dangerous, and clandestine conditions.
We affirm life even as we grieve the conditions that lead persons to consider abortion.

V. A call to the congregation
The congregation can be a place of healing or a hostile place for persons who have had or are considering abortion. We give a high value to life and also respond with compassion to those who may be considering abortion. We believe the body of Christ must hold these positions in tension.

We call on congregations to form caring teams who are able to walk with individuals seeking guidance as they deal with unexpected and unwanted pregnancies. If we want to create safe places in our congregations where people can talk about their problems, we must learn to listen in a non-judgmental way to those who fail to live up to their best intentions.

We call on pastors and congregational leaders to address issues of sexuality and appropriate sexual expression in sermons, in Sunday school classes, and in premarital counseling. We believe congregations offer life to their communities by being involved in community organizations that support adoption and foster care.

We commit ourselves to provide Christian education about human sexuality for both young and old and to foster understanding of various means by which pregnancy can be prevented when it is not desired. We commit ourselves to teaching sexual chastity before marriage and faithfulness in marriage.

We believe congregations have the ability to talk about abortion, express their commitment to Scripture, and discern its meaning for today. In many congregations, there are persons who can share their experiences of being parents, doctors, lawyers, pastors, nurses, and social workers.

A difficult moral issue like abortion requires ongoing study and discussion. We commit ourselves to continue to search for God’s will in this matter even as we continue to speak out against abortion. We are sure that God’s love in Jesus Christ binds us together in this search:

"For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love" (1 Cor.13:12-13).

Reference Committee
The reference committee for this statement included:

Committee members from Constituency Leaders Council: Leah Ann Alcazar, Yvonne Bailey, Elaine Good, Felipe Hinojosa, Janeen Bertsche Johnson, Ed Kauffman, Joe Longacher
Consultants from Anabaptist Center for Health Care Ethics: Anne Hershberger, George Stoltzfus (writer)
Staff from Mennonite Church USA Executive Board: J. Ron Byler, Kathryn Rodgers
Recommended

It is the most comprehensive and balanced statement I have seen from any source.

J.M.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Thank you, J.M.
After reading through just once, while most of this resonates, 3 points stand out that i will continue to think over.
First, it was written in 2003, the years following have been tumultuous on this topic.
Then, the point about failing to provide a health care system .. i believe this alludes to gov provision? if so, gov does a lot, at great expense, but results are mixed, esp the result that encourages single parent homes .. it’s a big problem. i’m not sure if i’m reading this correctly.

The biggest conflict for me is seeing abortion as a moral dilemma, and/or Christian moral dilemma.

Murder is universally a crime, not dependent on any culture or religion. No need for guilt that Christians are forcing their moral beliefs on unbelievers. Murder is a crime, no matter who you are; even the insane can be found criminally insane.

Possibly, in 1973, the USSC could have been unsettled on the question of morality.
Since, medical science, including real time scientific photography, proves (what was known in history, not just in Christian history) human conception is human life, never anything else, at every stage.

(i think) there is sufficient new science to warrant a revisit of RvW by the USSC.
not sure if that will happen.

In recent years (i’ve come to believe further) based on scriptures included in this statement,
that we are human BEFORE physical conception, because God designed us as human before conception. Now “that” ^^ might be a singularly Christian belief, i can’t say.

... As a side note, a brand new law! - Passed unanimously in House and Senate: :shock:

“A bill on President Trump’s desk would make animal cruelty a federal crime”
.. Animal abuse isn’t illegal at the federal level. The PACT Act looks to change that.
https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019 ... ederal-law

Look. The animal rights lobby is POWERFUL as all get-out.
No bothersome moral grey areas for animals.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Page 4:
temporal1 wrote:After years of wondering, i’m now seeing reports on the question of whether “DIY” abortions/abortion pills numbers are being included in formal abortion reporting statistics.

When reports are, “Abortion numbers are down,” what does that really mean? -
The forms of abortion have increased, now to include DIY pills, so actual-honest numbers of ALL abortions may have increased? :shock: :-|

”Abortion numbers are down, but they’re not counting do-it-yourself abortions”
https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinion/ab ... -abortions

“Is the abortion industry using miscarriage to expand the abortion pill?”
https://www.liveaction.org/news/abortio ... scarriage/

Corporate profits have no conscience. :-|
Another post regarding abortifacient pills: :-|
What profiteers are willing to do to the unborn, women, teens, children, societies, is mind-numbing. (i think) of these pills as rat poison designed to exterminate human life.
not-to-be-ingested! :shock:

The idea these pills are ingested by women and children alone at home, even in remote locations in undeveloped countries, with no medical pros nearby, maybe no clean water, etc., alone and afraid.

The 21st Century. :-|

This meme is on a FB page, TAKE MY HAND, NOT MY LIFE
Based in Canada.

i’m glad to see balance offered on these pills.
they are marketed to young people to be used “like candy.”
(before i unplugged TV, i saw some Madison Avenue type ads = slick, cute, hep.)
literally, “pregnant? oops! - no problem.” - ;) “everybody makes mistakes.” ;)

they are being made available on college campuses.
everyone’s children WILL know all about them.
taxpayer dollars ensure knowledge and availability.

lying to parents is encouraged (with gov protections and funding)starting in elementary school.
BIG FAIL.

not just parents, not just Christians,
everyone who pays taxes has a vested interest in all these matters.

The fact that tax dollars are involved could be the very sticking point tax payers have to contest. For those who vote, vote wisely. Your tax dollars will be assigned accordingly.
0 x