Bunny Trails: Politics

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Josh

Re: Bunny Trails: Politics

Post by Josh »

Or credible allegations of rape
JFK
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Josh wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:36 am
Or credible allegations of rape
JFK
JFK's rape took the virginity of a young 19 year old girl. Much later she wrote a book about it. Then there is Bill Clinton known for raping and sexually assaulting women. And we have Biden, who allegedly sexually assaulted Tara Reade. We also have him on many videos, groping, grabbing and sniffing women and little girls.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Grace wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:58 pm
Robert wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:26 pmWho called you deranged? Point me to the post.
I think he is referring to me. In the thread, Election investigations, on page 238, I said:
This thread is more about why Trump should be hated, than it is about election investigations. It is an outlet for TDS.
Yes, and I quoted that in the initial post that resulted in all this. So is it OK to use mocking terms made up to denigrate people like this on MN? Isn't that "extreme sarcasm to minimize another's comments or opinions"?
Grace wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:58 pmI have been called hateful, emotional, and other things because of my opinions on why I think Biden is evil. When barbed and condescending comments are made, (and there have been plenty) I tend to let them slide off like water on a duck’s back.
Grace, going forward, if I say something equivalent to you, I would prefer that we discuss it. Perhaps copy it here?

I realize you feel this way about MAGA. But that was a term made up by Trump to describe his policies and his movement, not a term made up by his opponents to mock him. I don't yet understand what it means to say that you like Trump's policies, but you want to distance yourself from MAGA. Can you say more?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

There are basically no maga defenders here at all. Maybe there’s a slight chance t1 is. Everyone else has stayed unequivocally they don’t support the Trump movement.

Arguing against maga here is truly tilting at windmills.
1 x
Grace

Post by Grace »

Bootstrap wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:00 pm

I realize you feel this way about MAGA. But that was a term made up by Trump to describe his policies and his movement, not a term made up by his opponents to mock him. I don't yet understand what it means to say that you like Trump's policies, but you want to distance yourself from MAGA. Can you say more?
I differenciate between MAGA and policies that help Americans, especially the middle class families who are struggling right now. I support the policies that created 1.4 % inflation, energy independence, record low gas and grocery prices, no supply chain issues, no wars; low illegal’s invading our borders. I support policies that support life, and not an evil culture of death. We are seeing promotion of death to the unborn,even up to time of birth. Death because of lax border policies, death to young service people who died because of the Afghanistan withdrawal debacle, death to Ukrainians who are being attacked because an evil dictator, took that opportunity because he knew he could, when he saw weakness in an American president.

I agree with Josh, Arguing against MAGA here, is truly tilting at windmills.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Grace wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:55 pm

I differenciate between MAGA and policies that help Americans, especially the middle class families who are struggling right now. I support the policies that created 1.4 % inflation, energy independence, record low gas and grocery prices, no supply chain issues, no wars; low illegal’s invading our borders. I support policies that support life, and not an evil culture of death. We are seeing promotion of death to the unborn,even up to time of birth. Death because of lax border policies, death to young service people who died because of the Afghanistan withdrawal debacle, death to Ukrainians who are being attacked because an evil dictator, took that opportunity because he knew he could, when he saw weakness in an American president.

I agree with you about the policies. I think that Trumps policies, taken as a whole, makes his presidency the best I've seen in 30 years at least.

I'm interested in how you would describe the difference between his policy's and MAGA. What does "MAGA" mean to you? I've taken a hip shot at what it means to me.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:10 pm
Grace wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:55 pm

I agree with you about the policies. I think that Trumps policies, taken as a whole, makes his presidency the best I've seen in 30 years at least.

I'm interested in how you would describe the difference between his policy's and MAGA. What does "MAGA" mean to you? I've taken a hip shot at what it means to me.
Trump is a Republican but I would categorize MAGA as a set of beliefs and policies that stray from traditional Republican policies and values and are more about Trump. So, for example:
  • Election denialism and focus on Trump's election grievances and lies (stop the steal, Trump is innocent and being framed by the deep state, etc.)
  • Anti-immigrant sentiment and anti-Islam sentiment (Build the wall and Mexico will pay for it, Muslim ban). Trump strays from more traditional Republicans like Bush, Romney, and McCain here, all of whom did not share these policies.
  • Anti-trade. Trump passed out tariffs like candy, including against close allies like Canada and Mexico. That is the opposite of mainstream Republican thought which was more free trade.
  • Christian nationalism. Trump waded deep into right wing evangelical and Christian nationalist waters, again something that more traditional Republicans would never have done.
I'm sure there are other areas where Trump is different from more mainstream Republicans, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind. The election denialism is the biggest distinguishing feature of MAGA I think. Claiming the 2020 election was stolen is the entry ticket into MAGA world.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Grace

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:12 pm
Trump is a Republican but I would categorize MAGA as a set of beliefs and policies that stray from traditional Republican policies and values and are more about Trump. So, for example:
  • Election denialism and focus on Trump's election grievances and lies (stop the steal, Trump is innocent and being framed by the deep state, etc.)
  • Anti-immigrant sentiment and anti-Islam sentiment (Build the wall and Mexico will pay for it, Muslim ban). Trump strays from more traditional Republicans like Bush, Romney, and McCain here, all of whom did not share these policies.
  • Anti-trade. Trump passed out tariffs like candy, including against close allies like Canada and Mexico. That is the opposite of mainstream Republican thought which was more free trade.
  • Christian nationalism. Trump waded deep into right wing evangelical and Christian nationalist waters, again something that more traditional Republicans would never have done.
I'm sure there are other areas where Trump is different from more mainstream Republicans, but those are the ones that come immediately to mind. The election denialism is the biggest distinguishing feature of MAGA I think. Claiming the 2020 election was stolen is the entry ticket into MAGA world.
There are those in the MAGA faction that you described, which I highly disagree with.

However I think more of them would identify with the hard working people of this country. Middle class people who want strong borders, fair elections, tough on crime, low inflation, affordable food, gas and housing. They want their children to get a good education without being exposed to sex/transgender education that is NOT age appropriate. If their children are struggling with gender confusion they want to know about it. They believe that young women athletes should have a fair chance in winning competitions, without competing against men who say they are women. They believe their wives and daughter should not have to share locker rooms, bathrooms, showers, etc with persons who have male body parts.

Yet these people lumped in with the ones you described and are made fun of, denigrated, mocked and viewed with disdain. And they are called fascists by the president.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:05 pm
There are those in the MAGA faction that you described, which I highly disagree with.

However I think more of them would identify with the hard working people of this country. Middle class people who want strong borders, fair elections, tough on crime, low inflation, affordable food, gas and housing. They want their children to get a good education without being exposed to sex/transgender education that is NOT age appropriate. If their children are struggling with gender confusion they want to know about it. They believe that young women athletes should have a fair chance in winning competitions, without competing against men who say they are women. They believe their wives and daughter should not have to share locker rooms, bathrooms, showers, etc with persons who have male body parts.

Yet these people lumped in with the ones you described and are made fun of, denigrated, mocked and viewed with disdain. And they are called fascists by the president.
You are describing ordinary working class conservatives. Not people I would call MAGA.

Although I doubt most ordinary working class conservative folks are going to spend 90% of their time focused on fringe LGBT issues like you just did, most of which are not even federal issues relevant to the presidency.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I disagree with much of your list.

Election denial did not exist in 2016 by any but maybe me and a few Democrats.

Trump wants legal immigration and a lot of it. I agree.

Trump anti trade? I find that paradoxical. He uses trade to strengthen the US positions when dealing with unfair labor practices in those countries. I do not call that anti trade.

I agree with the Christian Nationalism.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.