On Civility

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: On Civility

Post by silentreader »

DrWojo wrote:
silentreader wrote:
DrWojo wrote:9FA1BC18-F166-45F2-B7BE-8586CEA44739.jpeg
I find it difficult to take seriously someone who pubilcally displays something like that.
Explain

Let OJ do it.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

I am pretty sure George Carlin was a pubilc school graduate.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

silentreader wrote:I find it difficult to take seriously someone who publilcy displays something like that.
In addition to OJ's comment, I find it odd to post that meme in this thread.

Civility is not the opposite of critical thinking. It's hard to do critical thinking together without it. Outrage and grievance don't make you smarter.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:
We need the freedom to express different opinions and discuss things openly.
Boot,

Perhaps a start is to make your behaviour on MN conducive to this (which right now it is not).

I don’t like being associated with Nazis or anti-semitism, yet you have done so in responses to me multiple times in the last month. That silences any open discussion from me. I can’t afford to be associated with those things, even if you don’t think it’s a big deal.
Josh, I am not trying to associate you with Nazis or anti-Semitism. I think you are offended by both groups and do not want to be associated with them.

In this thread, the original post connected Nazis and incivility, saying that the Holocaust started with Kristallnacht. These themes are present in this thread. I don't think I am associating you with these things, but if you feel that way, why not speak directly to those themes, saying once again that you are against these things, expressing compassion for victims, etc? That's a simple way to make your beliefs obvious.

Dan and I have been discussing what I can do to try to help cool things down, and I have decided to avoid the subjects of white supremacy and anti-semitism for a while. But these are things other people are bringing up in various threads, and I will eventually go back to discussing them explicitly. I know your position, when I mention those concerns, it's not about you.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Perhaps reframing the topic is helpful:
What does the Bible teach us about civility?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
DrWojo
Affiliation: Sylvian Christian Fe

Post by DrWojo »

MaxPC wrote:Perhaps reframing the topic is helpful:
What does the Bible teach us about civility?
I think you have a great idea! Maybe you need to start a new thread?
0 x
"Too often believers have trivialized goodness by concentrating on their various denominational brands of legalism, becoming a 'peculiar people' set at odd angles to the world rather than being an attractive light illuminating it." -Unknown