President Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

POLL: What do you think about the Trump presidency so far?

Total votes: 0

hillperson
Affiliation: A.M.

Re: President Trump: A MennoNet Poll

Post by hillperson »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
hillperson wrote: Clinton who was the chief of corruption.
In some areas, maybe... but he was also a hero for a lot of people in other areas. Really no different than any other politician... Can't just listen to the elephant's words about the donkey ;)

I was talking about his wife....
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

hillperson wrote:I was talking about his wife....
Wasn't exactly a given... I'm from where the Mr. served as governor, so that's often what I think of when I hear "Clinton".
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

KingdomBuilder wrote:The frequency/ engagement of these types of threads makes it quite obvious that being Anabaptism, at least as it exists on here, is not synonymous with being apolitical.
i arrive at a somewhat different conclusion. :)

i appreciate these discussions on this forum.
i did not come here to find them, i was surprised to find them. this, from some years ago.
what i’ve concluded (correct or not) is, not voting for consciencious reasons does not mean to choose to live in ignorance. instead, possibly, it reflects, not voting, and knowing why not.

lots of people do not vote, not just Anabaptists.
a partial list of reasons why not:
many feel overwhelmed, ignorant, not worthy. some are just angry. some have no interest, they gladly leave it to others to decide.

of course, some (more liberal) Anabaptists are unapologetically political, and, some are/attempt to be both. some are political, but appear to be in denial.

i appreciate some of these discussions because of other things i have in common with conservative Anabaptists. so, this is the general pov i’m most comfortable with. most on this forum, to my feeble understanding, are not “card-carrying” political party members of any description. possibly, with some exceptions.

i suppose i respect those who make informed decisions.
i find that to be the case more often than not on this forum.

when one considers how folks can survive in a competitive, treacherous, too often violent world, for 500 years as CO, it may be reasonable to guess it wasn’t by living in a state of ignorance. :-|
Matthew 10:16
15 Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.

16 Look, I am sending you out like sheep among wolves;
therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

17 But beware of men;
for they will hand you over to their councils and flog you in their synagogues ..
:-|
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

KingdomBuilder wrote:The frequency/ engagement of these types of threads makes it quite obvious that being Anabaptism, at least as it exists on here, is not synonymous with being apolitical.
As it exists on here.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

silentreader wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:The frequency/ engagement of these types of threads makes it quite obvious that being Anabaptist, at least as it exists on here, is not synonymous with being apolitical.
As it exists on here.
Perhaps people feel that MN is a "safe place" to discuss such things, where as their congregation may not be the place to do that.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

That's right KingdomBuilder.

I've conscientiously abstained from voting my entire life, and I don't intend to start now. The main reason is that want to guard my allegiances and independence of thought.

So...why care about politics then? Especially as a two-kingdom Anabaptist?

Because...
  • Wars are started and ended by governments - under all kinds of rationale.
    People are oppressed, imprisoned, tortured and killed by governments - for all kinds of reasons.
    From biblical times to today, governments have sanctioned things like genocide and infanticide and slavery.
    Governments often feed the poor and offer help in times of trouble, but they can just as easily cause famine and calamity.
    Governments wield the sword and punish people, sometimes justly and sometimes unjustly.
    Governments educate and/or indoctrinate, they promote freedom of thought and religion - or they limit it.
    Governments tax and control vast wealth, and redistribute it - sometimes to those in need, sometimes to themselves.
    Governments are consequential - always have been (read the narrative in your Bible if your question this)

MennoNet/MennoDiscuss, for me, feels like a safe place where I can come to process my thoughts on what is happening around me in society - and get honest (non-troll) and open feedback from others who share a common faith (even when we don't agree about what we perceive around us). Most of the thoughts about politics I've shared in this thread I haven't shared publicly anywhere else. I started this discussion not as an act of political advocacy or involvement, but in good part to collectively discern the times, to test my thoughts and ideas, and to learn how others, other Anabaptists in particular, are understanding what is going on in power and politics around us right now.

I honestly respect those who, because of conscience, choose to be "a-political" (although I have met very few who truly are 8-)), I'm part-way there myself...but I watch politics like a farmer watches the weather: I'd just as soon not be taken by surprise when a storm comes, especially if a little advanced notice can help me (and my neighbors) prepare. :)
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

What’s the definition of “immoral or coarse”?

Man’s definition, the elite’s definition, or the working class’s definition... or the Bible’s?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
silentreader wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:The frequency/ engagement of these types of threads makes it quite obvious that being Anabaptist, at least as it exists on here, is not synonymous with being apolitical.
As it exists on here.
Perhaps people feel that MN is a "safe place" to discuss such things, where as their congregation may not be the place to do that.
My congregation is a “safe place” to do so, albeit it’s socially dubious to talk about politics too much, and every conversation wraps around to trying to talk about what Kingdom Christians should do.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Boot,

Here’s an honest question: when have you supported a Republican running for office? The burden of proof is on you to prove you aren’t partisan. You consistently always support the Democratic Party line on every candidate.

From that perspective, it’s hard to take you credibly about Trump, especially when 8 years went by without any criticism of Obama, particularly his warmongering policies like drone warfare and assassinations.

I agree with you we shouldn’t just parrot Fox News - but we also shouldn’t be parroting the Huffington Post.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Here's an analysis that helps me understand my feelings about Trump: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... story.html
0 x