Senate drops dress code

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Re: Senate drops dress code

Post by HondurasKeiser »

JimFoxvog wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:18 am I hope and expect the staffers will be allowed more freedom also.
They won't be and they shouldn't be. Dressing like a slob does not mean you're in solidarity with the working class; it just means you're in solidarity with slobbery.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Sliceitup wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:51 am
Josh wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:48 am One of the signs of the times is that our "elites" (the wealthy and powerful, including the wealthiest in the world) dress casually, whether at the office, or even in places like the Senate chambers, now.

Eventually, dress codes will just be for the "little people". (Staffers still have to wear suits and ties in the U.S. senate; just Senators will be allowed to, apparently, wear whatever they want.)
Yeah I’m not very thrilled that staffers still need to wear the suits and ties. My biggest complaint about the dress code is the cost. Working around government often doesn’t pay very well, which tends to mean that people who are already wealthy are the ones working those jobs. Add in the dress requirements and it can become prohibitively expensive.
One need not spend a fortune to look professional and serious.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

On a side note, my coworker just got done telling me about a podcast he listened to this morning... that President Obama is secretly gay :o
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:38 am
Josh wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:48 am One of the signs of the times is that our "elites" (the wealthy and powerful, including the wealthiest in the world) dress casually, whether at the office, or even in places like the Senate chambers, now.

Eventually, dress codes will just be for the "little people". (Staffers still have to wear suits and ties in the U.S. senate; just Senators will be allowed to, apparently, wear whatever they want.)
Yeah I’m not very thrilled that staffers still need to wear the suits and ties. My biggest complaint about the dress code is the cost. Working around government often doesn’t pay very well, which tends to mean that people who are already wealthy are the ones working those jobs. Add in the dress requirements and it can become prohibitively expensive.
I agree. But one can also do that without wearing a suit and tie. (And I’m not sure that anyone is trying to say that Fetterman looks professional. He doesn’t.)
0 x
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Sliceitup wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:24 am
HondurasKeiser wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:38 am

I agree. But one can also do that without wearing a suit and tie. (And I’m not sure that anyone is trying to say that Fetterman looks professional. He doesn’t.)
I'm curious why Fetterman wanting to wear sweats and a hoodie was enough the change the rules? Does he function better that way? Is it somehow connected to his medical condition?
1 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Does anyone know when or why that picture was taken? Maybe that is not Fetterman's normal attire?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I can buy suits and shirts at my local mcc thrift for under $20. I bought a new instead at Macy’s on March of dimes day and ended up getting the outfit for under $300. Cost isn’t a reasonable argument here.

Having known some government staffers, I can assure you they see no problem spending large amounts of money on fashionable clothes, handbags, unnecessary shoes, and purses.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

QuietlyListening wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:38 am Does anyone know when or why that picture was taken? Maybe that is not Fetterman's normal attire?
It indeed seems to be his normal attire, although sometimes he wears a slightly nicer shirt (like a Dickie’s work shirt) and sometimes wears sweatpants instead of gym shorts.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:15 am On a side note, my coworker just got done telling me about a podcast he listened to this morning... that President Obama is secretly gay :o
That is nothing new. In one of his books he said he wasn't sure if he was straight or gay. And then there is Larry Sinclair.
0 x
AndersonD
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by AndersonD »

Grace wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:42 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:15 am On a side note, my coworker just got done telling me about a podcast he listened to this morning... that President Obama is secretly gay :o
That is nothing new. In one of his books he said he wasn't sure if he was straight or gay. And then there is Larry Sinclair.
Which book? Never recalling reading this.

He didn't endorse same sex marriage until after he had a conversation w his daughters and then decided to embrace it.
0 x