Poll: Should Poems Be Broadcasted on Aircraft Carriers?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.

Should Poems Be Broadcasted on Aircraft Carriers?

1. Sure! Why not?
38%
2. Definitely not!
6%
3. No opinion
6%
4. Not my jurisdiction
44%
5. Other
6%

Total votes: 16

Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Poll: Should Poems Be Broadcasted on Aircraft Carriers?

Post by Ken »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:21 am I never served in the Navy or the Marines, was never on a carrier, but I know enough that such nonsense has no place on such a vessel. Want to listen to that stuff? Keep it in your own quarters and to yourself.
About one third of the Old Testament is poetry. “Psalms, Proverbs, Song of Songs, and Lamentations are entirely poetic in form. Most of Job and portions of Ecclesiastes are poetic, while the prose narratives in the books of Genesis, Exodus, Numbers Deuteronomy, Judges and 1–2 Samuel contain substantial poetic sections. The prophetic books of Obadiah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk and Zephaniah are composed completely in oracular prose [a combination of poetry and prose common in prophetic books]. . . . This is also true for major portions of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel Hosea, Joel and Amos. In the Old Testament only Leviticus, Ruth, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Haggai and Malachi contain little or no poetic material” (A Survey of the Old Testament 2nd ed., Andrew Hill and John Walton)
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Senator Tuberville was an excellent head coach at Auburn. After successful SEC coach, most career paths are a demotion.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:47 pm Senator Tuberville was an excellent head coach at Auburn. After successful SEC coach, most career paths are a demotion.
He is a dictionary perfect definition of the Peter Principle

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

You can always tell who’s been on a aircraft carrier and who has just watched war movies.

Congratulations you dragged me into politics over poetry.

Way I figure as if subway can be on a carrier, why not poetry. These people are crazy enough as they are.
Only people nuttier are submariners. That probably explains my father.

Rule of thumb, if your aircraft carrier comes under fire, don’t hide in subway or the poetry lounge. Head towards the flight deck. Everywhere below the water line loses access to McDonald’s.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:21 am I never served in the Navy or the Marines, was never on a carrier, but I know enough that such nonsense has no place on such a vessel. Want to listen to that stuff? Keep it in your own quarters and to yourself.
Me: Do you like them on a boat?
Do you like them with a goat?
Do you like them here or there?
Do you like them anywhere?

Steve: I do not like them on a boat!
I do not like them with a goat!
I do not like them here or there!
I do not like them anywhere!

I do not like poetry slams!
I DO NOT like them Szdfan!
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Soloist wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:04 pm You can always tell who’s been on a aircraft carrier and who has just watched war movies.

How can you tell? Can you also tell who likes poetry?

You crazy mariners.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:23 pm As a point of order, Daily Kos is not a reliable source of news (or aggregator sites that just repeat their articles.)

To quote from the original article:
Alabama Sen. Tommy Tuberville’s war on military readiness continues as he refuses to back down from his one-man blockade of top-level military promotions and confirmations. All because the military provides access to completely legal medical procedures for military members in need.
The "completely legal medical procedures" this article is referring to is abortion.

I think we can almost all agree here that abortions shouldn't be happening on aircraft carriers, or anywhere else.
^^Abortion, and who-knows-what-all promotion of sex-change priorities; these things now beyond “legal,” to the point of promotion, funding, prioritizing. Flying under carnal flags.
Soloist wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:04 pm You can always tell who’s been on a aircraft carrier and who has just watched war movies.

Way I figure as if subway can be on a carrier, why not poetry. These people are crazy enough as they are.
Only people nuttier are submariners. That probably explains my father.

Rule of thumb, if your aircraft carrier comes under fire, don’t hide in subway or the poetry lounge. Head towards the flight deck. Everywhere below the water line loses access to McDonald’s.
There are interesting documentaries on aircraft carriers. i find them intriguing, the size, complexities, AND precious living souls involved. Mankind can be fascinating. Each individual has his own story. i pray for their souls. so many so young.

PBS / CARRIER
https://www.pbs.org/weta/carrier/full_episodes.htm

i don’t know anything about Tuberville. Except he’s a current target of ridicule by low-grade partisan shills.
barnhart wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:47 pm Senator Tuberville was an excellent head coach at Auburn. After successful SEC coach, most career paths are a demotion.
i’m glad to read this. msm railroading is a turnoff.

- - - - - - -

POETRY
For me, “broadcasting” is the word in question.
i’m sure there has always been lots of poetry in the military, of all descriptions; certainly, many men read Bibles, carried small NTs, etc. Often given by loved ones fervently praying for their safe return. There were always military chaplains.

“Broadcasting” is a different matter, esp on such huge craft, which are compared to being floating cities.
Last edited by temporal1 on Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Szdfan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:39 pm

Now I’m curious, how do you pronounce your username in your mind? I always thought of it as S-Z-D Fan but that’s one syllable too many and it’s throwing me off. Siz-zed Fan?
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Pelerin wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:53 pm
Szdfan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:39 pm

Now I’m curious, how do you pronounce your username in your mind? I always thought of it as S-Z-D Fan but that’s one syllable too many and it’s throwing me off. Siz-zed Fan?
It’s S-Z-D. It’s an abbreviation and I’m a terrible poet
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

temporal1 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:48 pm POETRY
For me, “broadcasting” is the word in question.
i’m sure there has always been lots of poetry in the military, of all descriptions; certainly, many men read Bibles, carried small NTs, etc. Often given by loved ones fervently praying for their safe return. There were always military chaplains.

“Broadcasting” is a different matter, esp on such huge craft, which are compared to being floating cities.
He’s complaining about poems being read over the loudspeaker. That’s not really “broadcasting.” Tuberville is engaging in eye-rollable nonsense.

Tuberville holding up military promotions is causing more problems for military readiness and the institution’s ability to function than poetry night on the USS Gerald R. Ford.
0 x