Trump Convicted

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Trump Convicted

Post by Ken »

It is all over the news today so no need to post links.

But Trump has been found guilty and convicted of 34 felony counts of falsifying business records.

So I guess by the standards of this forum it is now accurate to call him a criminal.

The press has already pivoted to the question of whether this will affect the election and seems to be concluding that no, it won't. Which I think is a sad commentary of where we are at today. And I guess the only question that really matters at this point.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Trump Convicted

Post by Josh »

The press has already pivoted to the question of whether this will affect the election and seems to be concluding that no, it won't. Which I think is a sad commentary of where we are at today.
Yes, it's quite sad that where we are today is that we have essentially political trials conducted for political purposes, and that a large swathe of the voting public has realised these trials and courtrooms are a farce.

Would you support returning to an America where judges and courts stay out of trying to interfere with political campaigns?
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:19 pm It is all over the news today so no need to post links.

But Trump has been found guilty and convicted of 34 felony counts of falsifying business records.

So I guess by the standards of this forum it is now accurate to call him a criminal.

The press has already pivoted to the question of whether this will affect the election and seems to be concluding that no, it won't. Which I think is a sad commentary of where we are at today. And I guess the only question that really matters at this point.
It would affect it if the American people really thought he was criminal, trusted the prosecutor the judge and the jury in this very liberal area. I agree it is sad, but not for the reasons you do.
1 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Like all the Covid rules, they will it will be overturned, but after no one cares.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:23 pm
The press has already pivoted to the question of whether this will affect the election and seems to be concluding that no, it won't. Which I think is a sad commentary of where we are at today.
Yes, it's quite sad that where we are today is that we have essentially political trials conducted for political purposes, and that a large swathe of the voting public has realised these trials and courtrooms are a farce.

Would you support returning to an America where judges and courts stay out of trying to interfere with political campaigns?
I would support a return to an America where our political candidates were not convicted criminals and a majority of Americans viewed criminality as disqualifying for higher office.
4 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:05 pm

I would support a return to an America where our political candidates were not convicted criminals and a majority of Americans viewed criminality as disqualifying for higher office.
Then first you’ll need to support a return to fair prosecutors, courts, trials, and judges.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:02 pm Like all the Covid rules, they will it will be overturned, but after no one cares.
You think so? On what grounds? Appellate courts need some grounds to overturn a conviction.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Trump has a legal problem that he's going to try to fix with political means.
2 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ken

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:08 pm
Ken wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:05 pm

Then first you’ll need to support a return to fair prosecutors, courts, trials, and judges.
From what I observed, this court bent over backwards to accommodate and be "fair" to Trump and allowed him far more leeway than any ordinary defendant. I saw no unfairness whatsoever. He was convicted of a very ordinary and common crime that thousands of other people are convicted of every year.

In fact, Michael Cohen was convicted and served time for pretty much the same crime (lying about paying off Stormy Daniels) that he committed on behalf of Trump. And that was Trump's justice department that tried and convicted Michael Cohen.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Szdfan wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:08 pm Trump has a legal problem that he's going to try to fix with political means.
Correction: Biden has a political problem he’s trying to fix by claiming his opponent has a criminal problem.
0 x