Gov Youngkin / Virginia

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Gov Youngkin / Virginia

Post by temporal1 »

i’m intrigued that Republican Youngkin was elected governor in Virginia, adjacent to D.C., which, in recent years, had projected ultra-left policies. i know almost nothing about him. i predict he will not have a moment’s peace in office.

i saw this in Illinois, with a R governor, who routinely voted with Chicago Dems. that wasn’t good enough for them! he was hounded for 4 years, then, gone. the “D” is a must. (possibly, if he had better represented conservatives, he MIGHT have “enjoyed” a second term, we’ll never know.)

so now, Youngkin in VA. how will this go? interesting to witness.

“Youngkin Opens an Anonymous Tip Line for Parents to Report Instances of Schools Teaching Critical Race Theory”
https://stream.org/youngkin-opens-an-an ... ce-theory/

“America’s teachers union just gave left-wing fake fact-checker NewsGuard full access to your kids at school” - - link??

i intended to post these 2 links to compare, but now cannot find a link to the second headline. :?
if i locate it, i’ll add it. (if i read correctly, the union move was in opposition of Youngkin’s EO on CRT.)
awkward, since there have been noisy denials CRT is a thing. if CRT is not a thing, then Youngkin’s EO is a moot point, no?

anyway. just interested in how miserable his life in office will be made.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
undershepherd
Affiliation: Mountain Valley Menn

Re: Gov Youngkin / Virginia

Post by undershepherd »

One of the differences with Gov. Youngkin is that he is a genuinely nice guy. I had the opportunity to meet him and even helped him buy an animal at our local 4H/FFA sale.

One thing you have to understand about VA is that once you get outside the Northern VA and Tidewater areas the state is overwhelmingly conservative. All Youngkin had to do was make some inroads into the Democratic strongholds to peel off a couple percent of voters and fire up his natural base in the rest of VA. Previous Republicans had all but thrown in the towel in many of those strongly Democratic areas. Youngkin ran a disciplined and energetic campaign. Also he was elected at the crest of a red wave where every statewide office and the house of delegates flipped from D to R. If that momentum holds this fall when the election for state senators takes place, he might have three years of governing with a Republican majority in both houses.

That is not to say he won't face obstacles and push back. He already has, but if he maintains his discipline and nice guy persona as he has so far, I don't think much of it is going to really stop him. He reminds me a lot of the FL governor who is facing very similar opposition and yet remains quite popular in his home state.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Gov Youngkin / Virginia

Post by temporal1 »

undershepherd wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:19 am One of the differences with Gov. Youngkin is that he is a genuinely nice guy. I had the opportunity to meet him and even helped him buy an animal at our local 4H/FFA sale.

One thing you have to understand about VA is that once you get outside the Northern VA and Tidewater areas the state is overwhelmingly conservative. All Youngkin had to do was make some inroads into the Democratic strongholds to peel off a couple percent of voters and fire up his natural base in the rest of VA. Previous Republicans had all but thrown in the towel in many of those strongly Democratic areas. Youngkin ran a disciplined and energetic campaign. Also he was elected at the crest of a red wave where every statewide office and the house of delegates flipped from D to R. If that momentum holds this fall when the election for state senators takes place, he might have three years of governing with a Republican majority in both houses.

That is not to say he won't face obstacles and push back. He already has, but if he maintains his discipline and nice guy persona as he has so far, I don't think much of it is going to really stop him. He reminds me a lot of the FL governor who is facing very similar opposition and yet remains quite popular in his home state.

Thanks, undershepherd, i had no idea.

Do you know anything about New Jersey? i see even less about NJ.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN