Biblical Gender Identity

General Christian Theology
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Biblical Gender Identity

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I've heard "men and women were created differently by God" in many different contexts. I agree that men and women were created differently by God, and clearly these differences go beyond just the physical attributes.

What does the Scripture tell us about masculinity and femininity?
What does Biblical masculinity look like?
What does Biblical femininity look like?
What do these not look like?
How does the Biblical male/ female contrast with the world's?

I think that the differences of creation have the potential to be a huge blessing or a huge stumbling block. In Western culture, we continue to warp the ideas and definitions of masculinity and femininity; so I think some Biblically-based clarity and perspective is much needed knowledge.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Biblical Gender Identity

Post by Josh »

Good topic KB.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Interesting that you use the modern term "Gender Identity" here. In the Bible, we are created male and female, our bodies know what gender they are. We didn't need a term like "gender identity" until quite recently, when people tried to distinguish our physical gender from some other vaguely defined something or other.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:Interesting that you use the modern term "Gender Identity" here. In the Bible, we are created male and female, our bodies know what gender they are. We didn't need a term like "gender identity" until quite recently, when people tried to distinguish our physical gender from some other vaguely defined something or other.
I realize that. I thought it might help put the focus of the question more on the non-physical attributes.. (masculinity & femininity)
It's not meant in the arbitrary way it's used so often today (I think that's what you're referring to)
I mean it in a very concrete way.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still uncomfortable with "gender identity" as a term for Christians. In Christ there is no male nor female, our true identity is Christ himself.

Of course, we are very much male and female, and both halves of that are "made in God's image", mirroring God in different ways.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Oscar Burkholder was a conservative minded minister in the Ontario Mennonite Conference in the mid-1900s. He believed very strongly in "gender identity". To the point that he didn't allow his boy's to do women's work (like washing dishes) or his girls to do men's work. He felt that keeping that distinction alive was very important to proper development.

I think he was a tad extreme. But when you look at the mess we have in the world today, some good old fashioned gender identity would seem pretty helpful.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

lesterb wrote:Oscar Burkholder was a conservative minded minister in the Ontario Mennonite Conference in the mid-1900s. He believed very strongly in "gender identity". To the point that he didn't allow his boy's to do women's work (like washing dishes) or his girls to do men's work. He felt that keeping that distinction alive was very important to proper development.

I think he was a tad extreme. But when you look at the mess we have in the world today, some good old fashioned gender identity would seem pretty helpful.
honestly, what you describe "sounds normal" for the world i was born into. in my experience, it wasn't so much "forced" or rigid separation, as it was understanding and accepting the importance of what different roles contributed to the whole.

the focus seemed much more on, "what can i bring to this marriage?"
rather than, "what can i get out of this marriage?"
those choosing the former approach seem to experience more satisfaction in marriage.

many of today's worldly messages seem to encourage unhappiness in marriage.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Two that come to mind

1Tim. 2:11-15
11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. 15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

1 Pet. 3:7
7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

“For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭11:7‬
What do y'all get from this verse?
"since he is the image and glory of God" has perplexed me.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
“For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭11:7‬
What do y'all get from this verse?
"since he is the image and glory of God" has perplexed me.
What is unique to me about humans is that they have a living soul. I am not sure how to relate that to God exactly? But humans are unlike all other living things by that point and then made up of body, soul, and spirit. Three parts - similarity to God and His image?
0 x