"gay Christian"

General Christian Theology
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

"gay Christian"

Post by KingdomBuilder »

From another thread:
Bootstrap wrote:I think we can be more effective if we are more visible. I have seen a few writings by gay Christians who have chosen to remain celibate, and who praise their supportive brethren in their communities. That is so much better than condemning people. I have seen writings by Christians who have adopted unwanted children. Let's be visible about these things!
I've got some issues with people calling themselves "gay Christians". Also, I've got problems with people calling themselves "gay, celibate Christians". Celibacy is a physical discipline, really, and Jesus shows us that thoughts are just as weighted as deeds (especially when talking about lust), so to identify as a "gay Christian", surely one must feel gay or at the least, different- I don't see how one can have a pure mind devoted to Christ and be in the constant thinking that he/ she is homosexual. It seems very dangerous. To assume that celibate "makes gay okay" is equally destructive in the case of these individuals.

I think by calling oneself a "gay Christian", you're already giving the devil a victory.

What are your thoughts on I identifier "gay Christians"?
How should the church work with such individuals?
What can we do to help?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: "gay Christian"

Post by Josh »

I think it's foolish to fake on an identity which consists of nothing other than choosing to engage in sin. I don't call myself a "fornicator Christian who just happens to choose to be celibate", and then expect other people to be supportive of my "celibate fornicator" identity and then lionise me for not going out and fornicating every chance I get.

A big part of the gay identity is identifying with a specific culture and a lot of artefacts of that. As a Christian someone has no business at all being around any of that or identifying with it.

Ultimately someone's sexual preferences should be somewhat private. One man likes blondes, another likes brunettes. If such a man is married to a redhead, he'd better keep his preferences to himself.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I expect the whole gay-gene-I-was-born-this-way argument, or "science" will gradually go away. This argument will simply not be needed. I expect it won't be long at all before this country simply doesn't care enough about it, and society will just view it as a personal freedom preference issue. It will be viewed exactly like how fornication is already viewed.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Josh wrote:I think it's foolish to fake on an identity which consists of nothing other than choosing to engage in sin. I don't call myself a "fornicator Christian who just happens to choose to be celibate", and then expect other people to be supportive of my "celibate fornicator" identity and then lionise me for not going out and fornicating every chance I get.
Amen. Unselfishness is not the point. The point is to love God, to live for Him. The focus needs to be on the positive action, not the negative one.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Anything remotely associated with homosexuality, though, is the opposite of living for God. Including accepting a gay identity or calling oneself a "gay Christian".
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Moved here from another thread.
Josh wrote:The Bible says nothing about celebrating "gay Christians who are celibate". On the other hand it sure has plenty of condemnations of homosexual behaviour all over the New Testament.
How would you suggest talking/writing about those who identify as Christian but who don't follow the teachings of Christ? Always say "so-called Christians" or use quotes around Christian when writing?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh

Post by Josh »

Depends on the context of where and how I'm speaking, but I use a variety of terms ranging from churchianity, secular church, mainstream Christian, nominal Christianity, and so forth.

I happen to believe nonresistance is pretty much the core of following Jesus, which does mean I end up stuck holding the position that Anabaptism, especially plain and conservative Anabaptism, is "genuine Christianity". If I am around like minded people then I can simply talk about our own in group using terms like Mennonite or kingdom Christian or Jesus-follower.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:I think it's foolish to fake on an identity which consists of nothing other than choosing to engage in sin.
In the thread, I talked about a gay celibate Christian. That's how he identified himself in the article I read. By this, he meant that he is attracted to men rather than women. Would you prefer that he use a different term?

I don't agree with the model of sexual identity and sexual preference that our mainstream world has come to accept. But it's hard to discuss this without using the terms that most people understand.
Josh wrote:I don't call myself a "fornicator Christian who just happens to choose to be celibate", and then expect other people to be supportive of my "celibate fornicator" identity and then lionise me for not going out and fornicating every chance I get.

A big part of the gay identity is identifying with a specific culture and a lot of artefacts of that. As a Christian someone has no business at all being around any of that or identifying with it.
It's been a long time since I read this article. If I recall, he was the only gay man living in an intentional Christian community. He was writing this article to clarify why he does not go along with the shifts in our mainstream culture.
Josh wrote:Ultimately someone's sexual preferences should be somewhat private. One man likes blondes, another likes brunettes. If such a man is married to a redhead, he'd better keep his preferences to himself.
I appreciated hearing from a Christian who faced these temptations and chose righteousness, and his voice speaking out against people deliberately choosing sin. I have also enjoyed reading accounts of heterosexuals who struggled with temptation and overcame sin. I think that builds us up.

If we all just shut up about sex and sexuality, the only voices people will hear are the voices of the mainstream world. I think that would be a shame.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

mike wrote:How would you suggest talking/writing about those who identify as Christian but who don't follow the teachings of Christ? Always say "so-called Christians" or use quotes around Christian when writing?
I think the man I was describing was following the teaching of Christ. He was trying to explain his choices to gays who do not make that choice and to heterosexual Christians who might not understand the temptations that such people face.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh

Post by Josh »

Given the audience, the term "gay Christian" sounds like it was an effective way to communicate.

I would challenge using the term within our own circles. In our own circles, we should cultivate the notion everyone is capable of degenerate attractions and behaviour and encourage lifestyles and patterns of living to not indulge whatever those attractions might be.
0 x