Vaccines and the Mark of the Beast

General Christian Theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Vaccines and the Mark of the Beast

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:26 pm
I think about that when people call all kinds of things the Mark of the Beast. Are they "adding to" the Revelation?
No, i dont think so. I think it is "speculating" and that's not the same thing as "adding to the Revelation" as if the Lord said so-

People are speculating such considerations, trying to discern.
2 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:25 am
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:26 pmI think about that when people call all kinds of things the Mark of the Beast. Are they "adding to" the Revelation?
No, i dont think so. I think it is "speculating" and that's not the same thing as "adding to the Revelation" as if the Lord said so-

Speculating and trying to discern are good. But I think it's important to treat speculation as speculation, not as the Word of God. And I think it's important to stay close to the central concerns in the passage to see if it matches the current situation.

For instance, when speculating about vaccination, who is "the beast"? When I think of politicians who are worshiped, I don't see a lot of people worshiping Biden. I don't think people say "Who is like Biden, and who can fight against him?" There are other politicians seem to be genuinely worshiped in some circles, but Biden?
13 And I saw a beast rising out of the sea, with ten horns and seven heads, with ten diadems on its horns and blasphemous names on its heads. 2 And the beast that I saw was like a leopard; its feet were like a bear’s, and its mouth was like a lion’s mouth. And to it the dragon gave his power and his throne and great authority. 3 One of its heads seemed to have a mortal wound, but its mortal wound was healed, and the whole earth marveled as they followed the beast. 4 And they worshiped the dragon, for he had given his authority to the beast, and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast, and who can fight against it?”
In other words, I think we should start by carefully understanding what the passage is saying. To me, it feels more like people are riffing on the phrase "buying and selling" and ignoring the rest. And I personally doubt that unvaccinated people will be unable to buy or sell, there are so many ways to buy and sell, nobody wants to see unvaccinated people starve.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:19 pm
Valerie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:25 am
Bootstrap wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:26 pmI think about that when people call all kinds of things the Mark of the Beast. Are they "adding to" the Revelation?

Speculating and trying to discern are good. But I think it's important to treat speculation as speculation, not as the Word of God. And I think it's important to stay close to the central concerns in the passage to see if it matches the current situation.

For instance, when speculating about vaccination, who is "the beast"? When I think of politicians who are worshiped, I don't see a lot of people worshiping Biden. I don't think people say "Who is like Biden, and who can fight against him?" There are other politicians seem to be genuinely worshiped in some circles, but Biden?
13 And I saw a beast rising out of the sea, with ten horns and seven heads, with ten diadems on its horns and blasphemous names on its heads. 2 And the beast that I saw was like a leopard; its feet were like a bear’s, and its mouth was like a lion’s mouth. And to it the dragon gave his power and his throne and great authority. 3 One of its heads seemed to have a mortal wound, but its mortal wound was healed, and the whole earth marveled as they followed the beast. 4 And they worshiped the dragon, for he had given his authority to the beast, and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast, and who can fight against it?”
In other words, I think we should start by carefully understanding what the passage is saying. To me, it feels more like people are riffing on the phrase "buying and selling" and ignoring the rest. And I personally doubt that unvaccinated people will be unable to buy or sell, there are so many ways to buy and sell, nobody wants to see unvaccinated people starve.
I don't see people saying the vaccine is the mark of the beast at all. I see them implying that the step is towards a future step of getting the population to comply unless they be denied access to necessities. Maybe we're hearing from different people.

Of course people do not hold Biden in high esteem. And I certainly think president Trump was doing a superb job at getting things accomplished that the people that voted for him we'e hoping he would accomplish, which he did and even more. I don't see President Trump as someone that would save the country as in salvation I think when people say that kind of thing is saving it from the downward spiral it is rapidly going down. I think probably most people are embarrassed that they voted for President Biden certainly the writing was on the wall that he was not up for the job, I think it was mean to even put him in that position, I think it was terribly mean of his wife because she of all people knew what kind of mental condition he is in but I'm sure she enjoys the first Lady life. I also believe that the American people are genuinely disappointed in Kamala Harris so they would not see her as being able to step in for Mr Biden if need be, but she got voted in because our silly people are more interested in things like color and gender instead of job performance and potential. So it seems
1 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:35 pmI don't see people saying the vaccine is the mark of the beast at all. I see them implying that the step is towards a future step of getting the population to comply unless they be denied access to necessities. Maybe we're hearing from different people.
See the original post. I was responding to this statement:
I understand that since restrictions have come to a point that some of us are being stopped from buying and selling in certain ways that the resemblance of the mark of beast in these vaccines is troubling for you vaccinated people.
This kind of statement seems over-the-top to me. It's not what you get by carefully studying the text of the passage in the Revelation.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Preventing people from having a job fits the definition of “cannot buy or sell”.

It’s okay to discuss the slippery slope. People who claimed I am being alarmist about slippery slopes have said:

- Civil unions won’t lead to gay marriage
- Gay marriage won’t lead to Christians being forced to cater gay weddings
- Transsexuals in women’s bathrooms won’t lead to rapes/assaults
- Nobody will forced to get a vaccine
- Businesses and churches will only be closed two weeks to flatten the curve

Yet all those exact things have happened.
4 x
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

Josh wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:36 pm Preventing people from having a job fits the definition of “cannot buy or sell”.

It’s okay to discuss the slippery slope. People who claimed I am being alarmist about slippery slopes have said:

- Civil unions won’t lead to gay marriage
- Gay marriage won’t lead to Christians being forced to cater gay weddings
- Transsexuals in women’s bathrooms won’t lead to rapes/assaults
- Nobody will forced to get a vaccine
- Businesses and churches will only be closed two weeks to flatten the curve

Yet all those exact things have happened.
This just in: The German State Hesse is now leaving it up to food stores on whether or not to ban the unvaccinated.

https://yournews.com/2021/10/14/2240387 ... accinated/

Looks to me like they're already trying to cross that red line. That didn't take very long, did it.
1 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Falco Underhill wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:28 am
This just in: The German State Hesse is now leaving it up to food stores on whether or not to ban the unvaccinated.

Looks to me like they're already trying to cross that red line. That didn't take very long, did it.
How is this substantially different from a Christian baker refusing to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple? For all a long time, I’ve been seeing the argument that businesses should be able to decide which customers they want to serve based on their values and beliefs. How is this any different from a business deciding it doesn’t want to serve customers who are unvaccinated?
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:36 pm
Falco Underhill wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:28 am

How is this substantially different from a Christian baker refusing to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple? For all a long time, I’ve been seeing the argument that businesses should be able to decide which customers they want to serve based on their values and beliefs. How is this any different from a business deciding it doesn’t want to serve customers who are unvaccinated?
So in Germany you have the freedom to choose whether or not to get vaccinated. And businesses have the freedom to choose whether or not to serve you.

That definitely does sound like the end times are upon us.

And by the way, just like in the US, there are all sorts of online grocery delivery services popping up all over Germany. For example: https://www.rewe.de/ So I don’t think anyone is going to starve or be particularly disadvantaged if they can’t enter grocery stores unvaccinated. You have still have more grocery buying options than pretty much any other previous time in human history.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Falco Underhill
Affiliation: Hermit

Post by Falco Underhill »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:36 pm How is this substantially different from a Christian baker refusing to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple? For all a long time, I’ve been seeing the argument that businesses should be able to decide which customers they want to serve based on their values and beliefs. How is this any different from a business deciding it doesn’t want to serve customers who are unvaccinated?
That is a rather convoluted account of what happened, at least as I remember it. My understanding is the bakers refused to write anything on the cake which would seem to send a message they couldn't support, but they didn't refuse to sell anyone a cake. That's a big difference.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Lets say that the stores all take their freedom to deny unvaccinated individuals the right to shop in their stores. There still is online stores so its fine.

What if your Amish? what if your a Nationwide who doesn't allow internet? Oh you can hire someone to do your shopping.

This is getting ridiculous. When you cannot buy or sell without the mark, you can just hire someone to do your shopping so its not really the mark.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat