Christians and tattoos

General Christian Theology
Mennogal
Affiliation: Budding Mennonite

Re: Christians and tattoos

Post by Mennogal »

karpos wrote:
gcdonner wrote:There seems to be an increasing number of "christians" who are wearing tattoos these days.
What is a biblical answer to this.
IMO it is merely a mimicking of the world and seeking acceptance from the world around us, ie, being "of the world".
What say ye?
A tattoo tells me someone probably got drunk at a party or is in a gang of hoodlums...
Seriously?
0 x
Mennogal
Affiliation: Budding Mennonite

Post by Mennogal »

Josh wrote:A lot of other things are also "acceptable" in our modern society, like casual recreational drug use or creating single-parent families. That doesn't meant these things are okay in the eyes of God, that they don't hurt innocent people, and that there aren't life-long consequences for doing them.
Somehow I don't think having a tattoo rises to recreational drug use or single-parent families...
0 x
karpos
Affiliation: beachy

Post by karpos »

Mennogal wrote:
karpos wrote:
gcdonner wrote:There seems to be an increasing number of "christians" who are wearing tattoos these days.
IMO it is merely a mimicking of the world and seeking acceptance from the world around us, ie, being "of the world".
What say ye?
A tattoo tells me someone probably got drunk at a party or is in a gang of hoodlums...
Seriously?
Yes. Prisons document tattoos and can tell what gang someone belongs to. People get tattoos illegally when they join a prison gang for protection or to commit acts of violence.

If you ever get tried for something in a court and have visible tattoos, you are more likely to be found guilty because people assume you are in a street gang

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-pr ... ean-2016-1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_tattoo
0 x
karpos

Post by karpos »

Mennogal wrote:
karpos wrote:
What say ye?
Seriously?
https://www.businessinsider.com/economi ... oos-2016-4
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

karpos wrote:Leviticus 19:28 King James Version (KJV)
28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.
I dont see how much clearer it could be...
Well, this is Leviticus, and I didn't think the Old Covenant applied to Christians today. How do you feel about eating pork? Are you comfortable letting everyone sit on the same furniture in your home?

And it's about "cuttings for the dead", I don't think that ritual is particularly common these days.

So this is less clear to me than it is to you.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Mennogal wrote:
karpos wrote:A tattoo tells me someone probably got drunk at a party or is in a gang of hoodlums...
Seriously?
So Mennogal, how long have you been a member of MS-13?

And you tried to tell us that was a convent ...
0 x
karpos

Post by karpos »

Bootstrap wrote:
karpos wrote:Leviticus 19:28 King James Version (KJV)
28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.
I dont see how much clearer it could be...
Well, this is Leviticus, and I didn't think the Old Covenant applied to Christians today. How do you feel about eating pork? Are you comfortable letting everyone sit on the same furniture in your home?

And it's about "cuttings for the dead", I don't think that ritual is particularly common these days.

i am naturally curious to know if you think the 'old testament' prohibitions against murder, theft and adultery apply today or not.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

karpos wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Well, this is Leviticus, and I didn't think the Old Covenant applied to Christians today. How do you feel about eating pork? Are you comfortable letting everyone sit on the same furniture in your home?

i am naturally curious to know if you think the 'old testament' prohibitions against murder, theft and adultery apply today or not.
Could you answer my questions first before asking me to answer yours?
0 x
karpos

Post by karpos »

Bootstrap wrote:
karpos wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Well, this is Leviticus, and I didn't think the Old Covenant applied to Christians today. How do you feel about eating pork? Are you comfortable letting everyone sit on the same furniture in your home?

i dont eat pork. they are nasty animals.

we put blankets over our furniture so the couch and chairs dont get dirty.

BTW, Jesus quotes the 10 commandments.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

karpos wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
karpos wrote:
i dont eat pork. they are nasty animals.

we put blankets over our furniture so the couch and chairs dont get dirty.

BTW, Jesus quotes the 10 commandments.
Yes, and one really good guideline is that anything Jesus says is binding for Christians today. But I assume you also believe in Galatians, right? Speaking of the Old Covenant and circumcision, Paul said this:
Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise.
In Colossians 2 Paul says this:
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind, and not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God.

If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations— “Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch” (referring to things that all perish as they are used)—according to human precepts and teachings? These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.
So are tattoos more like circumcision and questions of food and drink, or are tattoos more like murder and adultery?

Or do you actually believe that the entire Jewish law is binding on us today? Even with blankets on your furniture, you better make sure women don't sit on it at certain times of the month ...
0 x