Do Plain Catholics exist?

General Christian Theology
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Do Plain Catholics exist?

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:06 am A prominent picture from that website:

I would regard this as near blasphemy, as it places Mary as Co-Redemtrix. This is Biblically unsupportable.
0 x
:hug:
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:53 pm
MaxPC wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:43 am
Sudsy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:33 am At this point since Boot appears to want to dig his heels in to put down any beliefs that Plain Catholics exist, I would like to note how this thread was initially made.

The OP of this thread was made using a post of mine and reply from another thread that had nothing to do with the topic of this thread. The 'excellent topic' referred to in this OP was not regarding this thread's title. So, I'm saying I would prefer that this OP be removed as it was not what the two people involved in this post was talking about and neither one of us involved in that post would have went down this path. We were not talking about Plain Catholics and I don't care for my posts to be used in that way as if we were.

It was Josh that suggested - Imo, if someone wants to start up a thread they should own it and make up their own thread and title with their identification on the OP.

If the originator of a thread is the one whose post first exists on a thread then imo, Max can ask this thread to be closed. Right ?
Indeed and agreed.
Instead of demanding to shut down the discussion, Max, you could just answer the questions.
Imo, yes Max could but to me, it is obvious, that Max has 'wiped his feet' from responding any further to questions on this thread for his reasons and has moved on to participating in other threads. We all have that right here even though it really bugs some when people chose to do that. Imo, sometimes that is the best way to handle some situations. Imo, it isn't always just the truth some are seeking but there are other motives in play.

And it still seems to me that some are demanding some statement of confession and repentance regardless of what they say otherwise. But if that isn't it, then what is the purpose behind continuing to spell out where you believe lies are being told ? And yes, I'm see it as pointing out 'lies' as indicating something said is not true and is a lie.

I'm fully in support of Max not posting anything further in this thread if that is his choice or requesting this thread be closed.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

It probably would have been better to have split the thread starting with Josh’s post quoting Max. I suppose whichever mood split the thread thought it would be clearer that way without too much thought. If Max doesn’t want to be the first post in this thread the solution would be to move his post back to the other thread and start with Josh’s. Max’s post provoked Josh to ask some apparently unanswerable questions. It would be strange if that was grounds for Max to have that discussion shut down.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Pelerin wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:41 pm It probably would have been better to have split the thread starting with Josh’s post quoting Max. I suppose whichever mood split the thread thought it would be clearer that way without too much thought. If Max doesn’t want to be the first post in this thread the solution would be to move his post back to the other thread and start with Josh’s. Max’s post provoked Josh to ask some apparently unanswerable questions. It would be strange if that was grounds for Max to have that discussion shut down.
I had the same thought regarding the first post. Josh’s could have been first, and his quoted Max, so leaving Max’s off would not have hurt the context.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:51 pm Imo, yes Max could but to me, it is obvious, that Max has 'wiped his feet' from responding any further to questions on this thread for his reasons and has moved on to participating in other threads.
Much of the energy in this thread is currently due to your posts. You suggest people should not have posted. We explain why we have. Without that, the questions would be left where they were.

Max probably won't respond. That doesn't stop the rest of us from noticing that some things do not add up. Or are we only allowed to discuss this if Max chooses to answer the questions?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:33 am At this point since Boot appears to want to dig his heels in to put down any beliefs that Plain Catholics exist, I would like to note how this thread was initially made.
We have been told there is one and only one website we can now use to understand Plain Catholics. I am simply pointing out what this website says.

And the website does not say there are no Plain Catholics. It does tell us, from their perspective, what Plain Catholics are. If this is the official source, why is it wrong to read what it says?
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:29 pm
We have been told there is one and only one website we can now use to understand Plain Catholics. I am simply pointing out what this website says.

Where is this post saying 'there is one and only one website we can now use to understand Plain Catholics' ? Regarding this website in question I can read for myself what this website says without getting into how it differs in doctrine from Anabaptist doctrine.

And the website does not say there are no Plain Catholics. It does tell us, from their perspective, what Plain Catholics are. If this is the official source, why is it wrong to read what it says?

Nothing wrong, read what it says. What I disagree with is taking shots at what they believe beyond discussing if they exist. The title of this thread is 'Do Plain Catholics exist?' and not how they are not 'plain' compared to Plain Anabaptists or how they differ in doctrine from Plain Anabaptists. And as I previously indicated I think the use of the word 'plain' is what is most offensive to some. Others, I think, believe it is about lieing.

Well, we have our ways of viewing things and that is my take on it. As has been indicated before that when someone walks away from a thread to not answer anymore questions, it seems very frustrating to some and imo, there appears to be some need to get even for taking this approach. If my perception of this is wrong, then I will have to watch future responses and see if I should change my take on this or not.

0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:54 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:29 pm And the website does not say there are no Plain Catholics. It does tell us, from their perspective, what Plain Catholics are. If this is the official source, why is it wrong to read what it says?
Nothing wrong, read what it says. What I disagree with is taking shots at what they believe beyond discussing if they exist.
I don't think we are talking about "taking shots at what they believe". I think we are talking about realizing that the facts and stories we have been told are not true. That's not the same thing at all.

If Max chooses not to address the facts, and you choose not to object to us noticing these discrepancies, the thread will probably die out. But when you object, we keep clarifying. Because being allowed to notice the truth is important. I don't like what I have seen in environments where that's not allowed.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:17 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:06 am A prominent picture from that website:

I would regard this as near blasphemy, as it places Mary as Co-Redemtrix. This is Biblically unsupportable.
We have been told that Catholics simply ask Mary to pray for them the same way they might ask you or me to pray for them. That's not what this picture communicates to me. If this is the authoritative site we are now to use for Plain Catholics, does this picture tell us what they believe or not?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:55 pmWe have been told that Catholics simply ask Mary to pray for them the same way they might ask you or me to pray for them. That's not what this picture communicates to me. If this is the authoritative site we are now to use for Plain Catholics, does this picture tell us what they believe or not?
There is a real "cult" of the Virgin Mary within the Catholic Church that today is really more of a lay phenomenon than something promoted or advanced by the Vatican or hierarchy. But in the past was even bigger.

Witness University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame Cathedral, the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico (2nd Most visited Catholic site in the world) and countless other examples. And in the world of Catholic art there are endless examples such as this

Where do you think the blue and gold colors of Notre Dame University come from?

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr