The Young Catholic Women Bringing Back Veils

General Christian Theology
steve-in-kville

Re: The Young Catholic Women Bringing Back Veils

Post by steve-in-kville »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:10 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:40 pm
HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:36 amThis essay put my wife over the edge so-to-speak…she wants to start covering but is still unsure what style she wants to use. She’s not a fan of the old Lancaster Conference style.
https://www.garlandsofgrace.com/ My wife and daughter switch to these a few years ago.
Specifically to the headband-ish style with hair uncovered in back, or just to coverings from that site?
I'll try to figure out which one, but ties in the back.
0 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

In his first letter to the Corinthians, St. Paul instructs women to cover their heads, to both comply with contemporary standards of modesty and emphasize a distinction between the sexes.
The one reference to the Biblical mandate the article has.

Paul lists a litany of reasons for the veiling in this passage, but neither of these two are written there. These reasons are the conjecture of researchers and biblical scholars and historians. Paul does not give these reasons in the text.
0 x
steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:24 pm
Heirbyadoption wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:10 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:40 pmhttps://www.garlandsofgrace.com/ My wife and daughter switch to these a few years ago.
Specifically to the headband-ish style with hair uncovered in back, or just to coverings from that site?
I'll try to figure out which one, but ties in the back.
Pretty sure it's this one:

https://www.garlandsofgrace.com/product ... overing-3/
0 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:12 pm
In his first letter to the Corinthians, St. Paul instructs women to cover their heads, to both comply with contemporary standards of modesty and emphasize a distinction between the sexes.
The one reference to the Biblical mandate the article has.

Paul lists a litany of reasons for the veiling in this passage, but neither of these two are written there. These reasons are the conjecture of researchers and biblical scholars and historians. Paul does not give these reasons in the text.
To be clear, though, I'm glad this is happening. Paul says, in the verse 2 of 1 Cor 11, that he is glad to hear that they are keeping this tradition as he taught them. He then goes on to say that he thinks it good to explain the reasons for this tradition.
My conclusion is that the Corinthians were obeying without actually FULLY understanding why. And Paul commends them for this. Oftentimes, understanding follows obedience, it does not always precede it. In our modern, individualistic age, we tend to think there is no merit or honor in obeying something until we fully understand it and are personally convicted to do so. The Bible suggests otherwise.
0 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

As someone who has witnesses the growth of veiling in Catholic Churches, first so,e, then most at Tridentine masses, and now moving to English Novus Ordo one’s, it is interesting how many folks make various issues out of it. As described earlier, some “boomer priests” are quite upset by the idea their excessive liberalizing of RCC practices is largely being rejected by the younger generation.

Regardless of one’s particular beliefs, I think most folks want a religious belief WORTHY of commitment. I mean, if your religion asks very little of you, it has little value. Sort of like the old story, a kid cherishes his third place medal for a difficulty contested race over a first place one he won by beating a bunch of kids five years younger than himself. People truly want what a commitment requires.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I can think of several factors that might contribute to this.
1. It's scriptural, when people read the scripture seriously, they are often drawn to obedience.
2. It's a deep church tradition, only recently abandoned. There is likely a living memory of it being practiced by grandmothers.
3. It's a reaction to deep cultural disorder about gender and how to live in the world, similar to the "trad wife" phenomenon where attractive young women perform modesty, homesteading or homeschooling for a social media audience, or the openness young men seem to have for anyone (Andrew Tate, Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson) who will tell them how act out manhood.
4. It's a trend from TikTok that looks cool and nonconformist.

Or maybe some combination of the above.
0 x
steve-in-kville

barnhart wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:08 am I can think of several factors that might contribute to this.
1. It's scriptural, when people read the scripture seriously, they are often drawn to obedience.
2. It's a deep church tradition, only recently abandoned. There is likely a living memory of it being practiced by grandmothers.
3. It's a reaction to deep cultural disorder about gender and how to live in the world, similar to the "trad wife" phenomenon where attractive young women perform modesty, homesteading or homeschooling for a social media audience, or the openness young men seem to have for anyone (Andrew Tate, Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson) who will tell them how act out manhood.
4. It's a trend from TikTok that looks cool and nonconformist.

Or maybe some combination of the above.
You said Joe Rogan 8-)
0 x
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Post by JayP »

I think wearing a veil in Catholic Churches does not owe anything to Joe Rogan
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

JayP wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:39 am I think wearing a veil in Catholic Churches does not owe anything to Joe Rogan
Yes, neither Andrew Tate nor Joe Rogan nor Jordan Peterson are even Catholic. And to the extent that they have influence over society it is almost entirely men not women. I think you will find very few young women who pay even the slightest attention to any of those three.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr