Alistair Begg: You should go to a transsexual wedding

General Christian Theology
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Alistair Begg: You should go to a transsexual wedding

Post by Ken »

Would you all go to a Muslim or Hindu wedding? Or a purely secular wedding between two secular people?

None of those are Biblical either.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

I attended my cousin's wedding this summer. He was marrying a woman, for what that's worth, but I don't get any sort of sense that their marriage is an endeavor for their own betterment or for the benefit of the Kingdom of God. My cousin is not genuinely interested in following Christ, nor is his bride, as far as I know.
Their marriage is just two people who want to spend the rest of their lives together. In my mind, there is a difference, although not a big one, between my cousin's secular non-Christian wedding and a homosexual wedding. Both are essentially just ceremonies for two people to proclaim their intent to spend their lives together.
My presence there was good overall, I think. I was in his wedding party, and i went to his bachelor party. The fact that i didn't drink alcohol and that i wouldn't wear a tie or cufflinks was not contentious, it actually facilitated some deep conversations with my cousin, conversations we wouldn't have had if i wasn't there, and wouldn't have had if i wasn't living obvious convictions for Jesus. The door opened up a crack and I got to discuss matters of faith with him. I believe my presence at this ceremony was positive. My presence communicated my love for him, and my love for Christ at the same time.

I do have a college friend who is gay (and engaged). I often ask myself if I would attend his wedding, and if I would be in his "wedding party". I often land on a "yes" to attending, and a "no" to being in his wedding party.
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:42 pm Would you all go to a Muslim or Hindu wedding? Or a purely secular wedding between two secular people?

I went to a Buddhist wedding because I realize there are unbelievers that marry. It is not sinful for them to marry
1 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:42 pm Would you all go to a Muslim or Hindu wedding? Or a purely secular wedding between two secular people?

I don't think so if I knew they were of the same sex, and/or, not if I knew that one of them had been divorced and the original spouse is still living.

But if a Muslim or Hindu was getting married and it was a man and woman who had never been married before, I would.
1 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

RZehr wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:14 pm

I don't think so if I knew they were of the same sex, and/or, not if I knew that one of them had been divorced and the original spouse is still living.

But if a Muslim or Hindu was getting married and it was a man and woman who had never been married before, I would.
Agreed, it’s not disordered for a man and woman to marry each other, irrespective of their religion. It is disordered for two people of the same sex to marry or for a situation where there is another spouse still alive.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I wouldn’t go to a homosexual marriage, a transgender marriage, a D/R, and any marriages that would require men to cover their heads or perform any aspects or pagan/non-Christian worship.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
cooper
Affiliation: LMC

Post by cooper »

It's interesting he said this back in September and it didn't hit Twitter until this month. Also worth noting his radio program was cancelled.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

cooper wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:00 pm It's interesting he said this back in September and it didn't hit Twitter until this month. Also worth noting his radio program was cancelled.
Um. I listened to his radio program today.
Where did you hear or read it was cancelled?
0 x
cooper
Affiliation: LMC

Post by cooper »

Valerie wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:10 pm
cooper wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:00 pm It's interesting he said this back in September and it didn't hit Twitter until this month. Also worth noting his radio program was cancelled.
Um. I listened to his radio program today.
Where did you hear or read it was cancelled?
I might be wrong. American Family Radio dropped his show. I thought that was the production organization, but perhaps that's just one of many distribution channels.
https://churchleaders.com/news/467035-a ... dings.html
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Isn’t it on every day on WCRF at lunchtime? It’s hard to miss when you’re in a “Christian” establishment tuned into that station…
0 x