Christians and tattoos

General Christian Theology
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Christians and tattoos

Post by gcdonner »

RZehr wrote:No big deal if someone has one, unless it is distracting.
But I’d discourage anyone from getting one, and forbid my children from getting one.
Whoa, wait, hold on. If it is no big deal for someone to have one, why not your children? If you would only "discourage anyone" from getting one, why "forbid" your children?
Double standard? Biblical reasons? Logical reasons?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

gcdonner wrote:
But I’d discourage anyone from getting one, and forbid my children from getting one.
Whoa, wait, hold on. If it is no big deal for someone to have one, why not your children? If you would only "discourage anyone" from getting one, why "forbid" your children?
Emphasis on "has one". I don't judge people for past mistakes if they are repentant in their present.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote:I would say that if the markings predate conversion, I wouldn't have any problems with it, but would in no way encourage or approve of a Christian getting one, or an additional one. (I also don't think we should "play around the edges" of this, either, like with face painting, or temporary tattoos.) I would rather help a marked up person get them removed, than support them getting a 'converted' one.
As I understand it, it is near impossible to remove them, apart from major skin grafts. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Bootstrap wrote:
gcdonner wrote:There seems to be an increasing number of "christians" who are wearing tattoos these days.
I don't like tattoos, but I don't like those quote marks either. I really wouldn't doubt someone's faith simply because they have a tattoo. As a certified Old Coot, I'm happy to advise people to avoid getting tattoos.

Tattoos have become much more common recently, and I am seeing very clean-cut Christians with tattoos. I know one Mennonite who had a dove tattooed on her to symbolize her faith. And it's actually kind of tasteful.

A swastika tattoo or a death's head or whatever would feel quite different to me ...
Are there any biblical reasons for having or not having tattoos? I used the term "christian" in quotes because I see many who claim to be followers of Christ, whose lifestyle, including the tattoos, piercing and so forth deny the truth, IMO.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

gcdonner wrote:
Neto wrote:I would say that if the markings predate conversion, I wouldn't have any problems with it, but would in no way encourage or approve of a Christian getting one, or an additional one. (I also don't think we should "play around the edges" of this, either, like with face painting, or temporary tattoos.) I would rather help a marked up person get them removed, than support them getting a 'converted' one.
As I understand it, it is near impossible to remove them, apart from major skin grafts. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.
I want to affirm what Neto said about "not playing around the edges". So we don't do things to try to modify our bodies in unnatural (and often pagan) ways from how God created them to function: we don't wear makeup, paint faces, make temporary or permanent marks / tattoos, but rather we live a simple life and maintain a clear countenance.

But with that said, if someone has permanent marks on their body from their past, that is not relevant to me provided they understand in their present and future that a Christian does not do such things.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Mennogal wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:
gcdonner wrote:There seems to be an increasing number of "christians" who are wearing tattoos these days.
I don't like tattoos, but I don't like those quote marks either. I really wouldn't doubt someone's faith simply because they have a tattoo. As a certified Old Coot, I'm happy to advise people to avoid getting tattoos.

Tattoos have become much more common recently, and I am seeing very clean-cut Christians with tattoos. I know one Mennonite who had a dove tattooed on her to symbolize her faith. And it's actually kind of tasteful.

A swastika tattoo or a death's head or whatever would feel quite different to me ...
I have tattoos... does that make me a bad person???
I am referring to those who get them after their conversion. May I assume that you had yours when you were converted? I served under a pastor who had them from before he was saved and always wore long sleeve shirts to cover his arms as a result. He wasn't proud of them, you can be sure.
Would you find no reason to keep from getting more or what is your view now? I'm curious and interested in biblical responses, which I haven't heard any of yet, either for or against.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
I want to affirm what Neto said about "not playing around the edges". So we don't do things to try to modify our bodies in unnatural (and often pagan) ways from how God created them to function: we don't wear makeup, paint faces, make temporary or permanent marks / tattoos, but rather we live a simple life and maintain a clear countenance.

But with that said, if someone has permanent marks on their body from their past, that is not relevant to me provided they understand in their present and future that a Christian does not do such things.
Thank you Josh, would you have any particular biblical references in mind that you would share with someone who is contemplating getting a tattoo and sees nothing wrong with them?
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I don't agree w Christians getting tattoos... It all seems like a degree of the antinomianism that so many Christians love to embrace. "God doesn't care if I ______" is their mantra for dress, music, etc., and it throws any message of practicing holiness out of the window.

Not the biggest deal, but I wouldn't encourage it.
Scripture?
0 x
Reflecting
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Reflecting »

gcdonner wrote:
I’m not a parent, but I don’t understand this.
As a child in the __ house, there were plenty of things we were forbidden that my parents did not make an issue of for others. It wasn’t my parent’s responsibility to lay down the law for everyone but they WERE responsible for my siblings and me. And they acted accordingly. That makes sense to me.
0 x
”reflectthelight” in MDland
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

francis wrote:Similarly, I wouldn't encourage it, but I think that obsessing over fine details isn't good for anyone. I wouldn't want my kids getting tattoos, but if an adult in my congregation had one (I've seen a fair amount of crosses tattooed on arms,) I would make sure that my own opinions did not lead me to think less of the person with the tattoo.
Biblical reasons for or against?
0 x