Ligonier Conference Lancaster PA 2016

General Christian Theology
undershepherd
Affiliation: Mountain Valley Menn

Re: Ligonier Conference Lancaster PA 2016

Post by undershepherd »

ohio jones wrote:Southerner, you might enjoy this book:
The Anabaptists and Contemporary Baptists: Restoring New Testament Christianity
There was a discussion of this on MD, the loss of which is lamented.

There's a bit too much attention given to Hubmaier IMO, not entirely unexpected given his Schwertler views and their alignment with SBC theology, but the rest is worth reading.
This book would be at the top of my list for anyone who wants a broader understanding of the Anabaptist part of the Reformation.

Another book that is at the top of the list especially as it relates to how Anabaptism intersects with the rest of the reformation is the book. "The Theology of The Reformers" by Timothy George.
http://www.bhpublishinggroup.com/produc ... -reformers
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I always bite my tongue when people offer up praise to Luther and Calvin...
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I always bite my tongue when people offer up praise to Luther and Calvin...
I wait to see just what it is they are praising before inflicting personal injury. With those two (plus Hus as previously mentioned, and Zwingli and others of the Reformers as well) there are plenty of things they didn't get right, but there are some things they did, and their courage in the context of their times is worth noting. I'm not sure the Anabaptist movement would have developed in the way it did without their presence on the stage.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited