Poll: Citizenship, Ambassadorship, and the Two-Kingdoms

General Christian Theology

Check all that generally reflect your view of citizenship, ambassadorship, and the two kingdoms...

1. I am in general agreement with the Lutheran concept of the two kingdoms. Martin Luther believed in two kingdoms, the kingdoms of this world and the kingdom of God. He believed that a Christian is both saint and sinner. Lutherans were content to allow the state to control the administration of the church, a view in the Reformed world shared by Thomas Erastus. Luther believed that a person could be a citizen of both the heavenly kingdom and an earthly kingdom, and was consequently free to participate in both. (much like many nation-states today that allow dual citizenship)
No votes
2. I am in general agreement with the Reformed concept of the two kingdoms. John Calvin, as well as later Reformed orthodox figures, clearly distinguish between God's redemptive work of salvation and earthly work of providence. Scottish theologian Andrew Melville is especially well known for articulating this doctrine, and the Scottish Second Book of Discipline clearly defined the spheres of civil and ecclesiastical authorities. Orthodox theologians such as Samuel Rutherford also used the Reformed concept and terminology of the two kingdoms. Francis Turretin further developed the doctrine by linking the temporal kingdom with Christ's status as eternal God and creator of the world, and the spiritual kingdom with his status as incarnate son of God and redeemer of humanity. In general, however, the Reformed followed Calvin's lead in insisting that the church's external administration, including the right to excommunicate, not be handed over to the state. The Reformed view does allow for citizenship in both kingdoms and allows for Christians being involved in civil government and voting in earthly elections.
7%
3. I am in general agreement with the early church and the early Anabaptist concept of the two kingdoms. There are two different kingdoms on earth—namely, the kingdom of this world and the peaceful kingdom of Christ. These two kingdoms cannot share or have communion with each other. The people in the kingdom of this world are born of the flesh, are earthly and carnally minded. The people in the kingdom of Christ are reborn of the Holy Spirit, live according to the Spirit, and are spiritually minded. The people in the kingdom of the world are equipped for fighting with carnal weapons—spear, sword, armor, guns and powder. The people in Christ's kingdom are equipped with spiritual weapons—the armor of God, the shield of faith, and the sword of the Spirit to fight against the devil, the world, and their own flesh, together with all that arises against God and his Word. The people in the kingdom of this world fight for a perishable crown and an earthly kingdom. The people in Christ's kingdom fight for an imperishable crown and an eternal kingdom. Christ made these two kingdoms at variance with each other and separated. There will therefore be no peace between them. In the end, however, Christ will crush and destroy all the other kingdoms with his power and eternal kingdom. But his will remain eternally. As ambassadors of Christ's kingdom, it is incongruent for Christians to be involved in civil government and voting for civil government officials. Allowing an ambassador to vote in another country's elections is just as strange as a citizen of the kingdom of God voting for civil government officials in the kingdoms of this world.
60%
4. Other
33%

Total votes: 15

Ernie

Poll: Citizenship, Ambassadorship, and the Two-Kingdoms

Post by Ernie »

In 1967, (1977 in Canada) the USA began allowing dual citizenship. Currently 49% of countries around the world allow dual citizenship. The other 51% still disallow dual citizenship.

Early Christians, early Anabaptists, and many Anabaptists today commonly see a very clear division between the kingdom of God and the kingdoms of this world. Allowing an ambassador from another country to vote in a US election is just as incongruent as a citizen of the kingdom of God voting in an earthly election. Ambassadors for the nations of this world try to influence other governments. But they do not vote in the elections of those nations.

I think the whole debate of voting at the polls comes down to whether a person thinks dual citizenship is permissible in the kingdom of God, and whether one believes that ambassadors from foreign countries should be voting in the elections of countries other than their own.

The Poll is derived from this writing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_kingdoms_doctrine
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Poll: Citizenship, Ambassadorship, and the Two-Kingdoms

Post by barnhart »

I wanted to choose the Anabaptist option but the last two sentences give me pause. I can't quite raise a consistent NT argument for the prohibition of voting for all believers even though I think it is a healthy practice. I guess that puts me in the reform option by default according to these definitions.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

While I do not vote, and find involvement in the secular governmental system to be somewhere in the realm of 'very unwise' to 'just plain wrong', I also think that there may be subtle but important differences between the concept of "the kingdom of this world" in the New Testament usage, and that of "a secular government" in the modern sense. The Biblical reference is to a world view that is posed in opposition to all that is godly. It is 'the flesh' against 'the spirit/Spirit'. Secular governments fall into various places on a spectrum of "moralistic" to "immoralistic", although generally not really based on any sort of true Christianity. Perhaps that is enough to fairly equate the two as the same, since a fake, no matter how real it looks from various 'angles', is an antiChrist.

This hesitancy does not, however, provide or create any doubts in my convictions regarding the responsibility as a follower of Christ to remain separate from all secular governmental action and participation. I mainly just smell a bit of a 'straw man' in the third option - an identification of two somewhat different things as being one and the same.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

barnhart wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 10:26 am I wanted to choose the Anabaptist option but the last two sentences give me pause. I can't quite raise a consistent NT argument for the prohibition of voting for all believers even though I think it is a healthy practice. I guess that puts me in the reform option by default according to these definitions.
I also think the Anabaptist and early church option leaves no room for significant writings of the early church and Anabaptism. For instance, Pilgram Marpeck would not be able to vote for it, or the author of the

This poll seems to require us to choose between three systematic theologies. I'm not a real believer in the authority of any systematic theology. Only the Bible has that kind of authority. The analogies chosen in a systematic theology should not be the basis of understanding what Scripture says.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I could get nit-picky with certain wording in # 3 but this best describes my belief. Living up to that belief though is another thing and what this all means in practise would differ from others in this selection.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 7:36 pm I could get nit-picky with certain wording in # 3 but this best describes my belief. Living up to that belief though is another thing and what this all means in practise would differ from others in this selection.
Of the three, #3 is also closest to my beliefs.

Some places where I disagree with the wording are described in this post: viewtopic.php?p=243096#p243096, and also in this post: viewtopic.php?p=243106#p243106.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I ticked “Other”. A nuance is that not voting isn’t central to my belief system; it’s incidental. I can’t participate in some institutions that I think are very good, like the Fish & Game Department, since they must need use force. I wouldn’t feel comfortable having to detain and possibly shoot someone on behalf of fragile ecosystems. However, it is lawful and proper for someone else to do so in the office of Warden.

I am reminded of the 7th commandment in the Noahide laws:
“Establish courts of law and ensure justice in our world.” Even before Christianity, Jewish tradition was this commandment was binding on all peoples, even those who weren’t Jews and thus the rest of the OT law was not binding. That doesn’t mean I have to be the court officer though. I just think the establishment of such things is good and should be supported.
0 x