May 11 2024 Freedom of Religion in the U.S.

General Christian Theology
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

May 11 2024 Freedom of Religion in the U.S.

Post by temporal1 »

May 11 2024
Freedom of Religion in the U.S.

“Harrison Butker says 'I do not regret at all' controversial commencement speech”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 861921007/
Harrison Butker found himself behind the lectern once again and stood by the much-derided comments he made during a commencement speech at Benedictine College earlier this month.

"Over the past few days, my beliefs – or what people think I believe – have been the focus of countless discussions around the globe," the Kansas City Chiefs kicker said Friday night at the Regina Caeli Academy "Courage Under Fire Gala" in Nashville, Tennessee. "At the outset, many expressed a shocking level of hate.

But as the days went on, even those who disagreed with my viewpoints shared their support for my freedom of religion."

Butker caused a stir this month during his speech at Benedictine to rail against Pride Month, the COVID-19 pandemic, transgender people and diminished the role women play in society.

"I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolic lies told to you," the three-time Super Bowl champion said on May 11. "Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world."

Chiefs teammates Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce said they disagreed with Butker's comments but have known him for a long time and will judge him based on the relationship they have with him. Head coach Andy Reid said "we all respect each other’s opinions," and he added that Butker is expected to join the rest of the team in celebrating their Super Bowl 58 victory at the White House on Friday.

Butker said his job as a NFL kicker has made him familiar with the spotlight. Discussing his Catholic faith, however, has made him "more polarizing."

"It’s a decision I’ve consciously made and one I do not regret at all,” Butker said.

Regina Caeli is a Catholic, hybrid homeschool model of education for students ages pre-K through 12th grade.

Butker, 28, is a member of the Regina Caeli's board, he said. The theme of the event, "Courage Under Fire," was chosen months in advance, but Butker said it "feels providential after all we have witnessed these past few weeks."

"My hope is that tonight's theme and RCA's mission will embolden others," Butker said. "That many more will be unapologetic in their Catholic faith and never be afraid to speak out for truth, even when it goes against the loudest voices.

"Being disliked and mischaracterized by some is nothing compared to a lion's den."
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Re: May 11 2024 Freedom of Religion in the U.S.

Post by temporal1 »

Harrison Butker’s speech discussed in other topics:

P.4 / Political party - demands?
viewtopic.php?t=1101&start=30

NFL “values”
viewtopic.php?t=6860

It’s about both freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

The initial response strikes me as a milestone in how tech provides a super highway for knee jerk, mob mentality responses.
Not the first time! Nevertheless, the scope and context were “jarring,” to use a word from boot elsewhere.

Just as many want to see fathers return to their wives and children, the intrinsic value of women and their children in their homes could use better+more support in the culture.

Traditional families need to be valued and cultivated. They don’t just appear out of nothingness.
Last edited by temporal1 on Mon May 27, 2024 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

What specific issues related to Freedom of Religion do you think Harrison Butker raised in his speech that are being threatened?
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

“Harrison Butker Doubles Down on Controversial Comments Attacking Working Women and LGBTQ+ Community”
“If it wasn’t clear that the timeless Catholic values are hated by many, it is now,”
the Chiefs kicker said on May 24
https://people.com/harrison-butker-doub ... ch-8654056
Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker is doubling down after he came under fire for controversial comments about women being homemakers, abortion and other topics during a May 11 commencement speech.

On Friday, May 24, Butker, 28, addressed the crowd at the Courage Under Fire gala in Nashville, held by the Catholic hybrid homeschooling organization Regina Caeli Academy, for which he serves on the board.

In this new speech, Butker defended his commencement address at Benedictine College, in which he addressed female students directly and spoke about his wife's decision to become a homemaker rather than work.

“If it wasn't clear that the timeless Catholic values are hated by many, it is now,”
Butker said, per CNN, referencing the reactions to his speech.

Butker also spoke about his Catholic faith and referenced Saint Daniel, whose biblical story involves being saved by God after he was thrown into a lion's den for his commitment to his faith.

“Over the past few days, my beliefs, or what people think I believe, have been the focus of countless discussions around the globe," he continued. "Many people expressed a shocking level of hate. But as the days went on, even those who disagreed with my viewpoints shared their support for my freedom of religion."

A video of his speech was also shared on social media by the right-wing media organization The Daily Wire.
Matt Walsh, one of the outlet's hosts, also spoke at the gala Friday night, according to CNN.

"I can't help but tremble at the thought of the courage many saints have shown in their lives," the kicker continued, referencing the story of Daniel in the Old Testament. "Would I be so bold if the repercussion was what Daniel faced in being fed to lions?"

"Any courage I've shown will lead to some small suffering. And it will lead to some people maybe never liking me, but that could be God's will," he added.

Harrison Butker Urged Graduates to 'Get Married and Start a Family' During Georgia Tech Speech Last Year
During Butker's May 11 speech, he spoke about "diabolical lies told to women" about abortion, in vitro fertilization (IVF) and surrogacy. He also said that the LGBTQ+ community's pride was a "deadly sin."

"Things like abortion, IVF, surrogacy, euthanasia, as well as a growing support for degenerative cultural values in media all stem from the pervasiveness of disorder," he said at the time.

Addressing women at the ceremony directly, he said:
"Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world."

- - - - - - -

His comments were widely criticized, including by the NFL. :roll:

"Harrison Butker gave a speech in his personal capacity," Jonathan Beane, the NFL's senior vice president and chief diversity and inclusion officer, told PEOPLE in a written statement on May 16. "His views are not those of the NFL as an organization. The NFL is steadfast in our commitment to inclusion, which only makes our league stronger."

Travis Kelce Responds to Harrison Butker's Controversial Speech: 'Can't Say I Agree with Majority of It' .. :roll:

Harrison B is stating his Catholic beliefs, i believe, as stated, they align with conservative Christian values, AND the majority of conservative values for marriage and family, throughout the world, Christian and not.

This incident reflects how “the tail wags the dog” far too frequently and effectively.
0 x

UNKNOWN
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

How well do Mr. Butker's beliefs around family align with Catholic thought? I'm not an expert on Catholicism but hasn't their position always been people are blessed to pursue callings of service over creating families.
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

barnhart wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:04 am How well do Mr. Butker's beliefs around family align with Catholic thought? I'm not an expert on Catholicism but hasn't their position always been people are blessed to pursue callings of service over creating families.
Based on Catholic people I was around (including people who have taken vows of celibacy), it was well aligned with Catholic doctrine… he didn’t say vows of celibacy or other vocations can’t exist. He just talked about the most common vocation. Most men and women don’t desire to be celibate.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Josh wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:07 am
barnhart wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:04 am How well do Mr. Butker's beliefs around family align with Catholic thought? I'm not an expert on Catholicism but hasn't their position always been people are blessed to pursue callings of service over creating families.
Based on Catholic people I was around (including people who have taken vows of celibacy), it was well aligned with Catholic doctrine… he didn’t say vows of celibacy or other vocations can’t exist. He just talked about the most common vocation. Most men and women don’t desire to be celibate.

In my small experience visiting my family’s Catholic Church, in informal gatherings, i’ve witnessed the priest addressing young ones about vocations that would require celibacy. i believe this is true, and, it’s as Jesus called it.

the choice to be celibate has been discussed on forum. great discussions. Anabaptists listen to Jesus.

HB isn’t attempting to be a biblical scholar or purist. i think Josh is correct.
He’s just a football player who decided to speak up about his life and faith.

i’d take a wild guess, if he were asked about this oversight, he would jump to explain/correct.
i imagine he’s well informed.

why wouldn’t he be given this basic opportunity? why rush to publicly nail him (like some nuns did)? why wouldn’t they, most of all, ask him personally and directly to explain? i find the nuns unnecessarily uncharitable on this.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

The purpose of this thread is .. “not much.”
i wanted a reminder that on May 11 2024, these words below became highly controversial - HB says, “globally.”
Description:
"Get married and start a family."
It’s likely i’ll forget. i want to remember.

In my lifetime, this formerly profound, hopeful message that most parents (of every faith) relayed to their beloved children,
has been so diminished it’s featured negatively in “freak-show-centric” msm.

That’s quite a change. In one lifetime.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wife: I read his speech, and for the most part, it seems OK, but I am actually really uncomfortable with this statement, “Congress just passed a bill where stating something as basic as the biblical teaching of who killed Jesus could land you in jail.”
Maybe I don’t understand all the debate behind the antisemitism bill, but it seems like that might have been exaggerated. This article seemed to clarify the bill and if that’s how the bill actually works, I don’t actually see a problem with it. https://catholicreview.org/fact-check- ... -teaching/
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:12 am The purpose of this thread is .. “not much.”
i wanted a reminder that on May 11 2024, these words below became highly controversial - HB says, “globally.”
Description:
"Get married and start a family."
It’s likely i’ll forget. i want to remember.

In my lifetime, this formerly profound, hopeful message that most parents (of every faith) relayed to their beloved children,
has been so diminished it’s featured negatively in “freak-show-centric” msm.

That’s quite a change. In one lifetime.
His suggestion to "get married and start a family" was not what made his speech highly controversial.

It was his unprovoked attacks on everyone who hold different viewpoints from single working women to LGBT people.

He is, of course, free to express whatever opinions he wants. And others are free to express opposing views. That an issue of freedom of speech, not freedom of religion. No one is infringing on HB's right to practice his own religion as he sees fit. He isn't being censored or censured by his employer or anyone else. He is a highly-paid professional athlete with a megaphone who is choosing to use it. Just like the people he is attacking are also free to attack him back if they wish. Part of living in a free society is recognizing that there will be views that differ from your own.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr