Alright ladies, your turn!

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Alright ladies, your turn!

Post by steve-in-kville »

Following the men's beard thread, time for one for our female constituents.

Guys are free to speak for their wives and/or church standards pertaining to such topic.

Do you have written or unwritten standards for:

1- Hairstyles?

2- Headcovering shape or style?

3- The use of makeup?

4- The dying of hair?

5- Other stuff on your head that isn't a "covering" (ribbons, bows, etc.)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Alright ladies, your turn!

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:29 am Following the men's beard thread, time for one for our female constituents.

Guys are free to speak for their wives and/or church standards pertaining to such topic.

1- Hairstyles?

3- The use of makeup?

4- The dying of hair?

We have some written guidelines. Hair shall be combed neatly with either a cap style covering or a white unadorned flowing veil. However the young women seem to think it is attractive to have long tendrils of hair coming down on the side of their faces. My opinion is that, it just looks sloppy. Makeup and hair dye are frowned upon, but no written rules on the matter.

Silly question, but what about the older women who seem to acquire facial hair on the chin and upper lip? I had an aunt who refused to shave her facial hair (beard and mustache) because of the verses in 1 Corinthians 11. To say it wasn't a distraction when looking at her, is an understatement.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Grace wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:21 am Silly question, but what about the older women who seem to acquire facial hair on the chin and upper lip? I had an aunt who refused to shave her facial hair (beard and mustache) because of the verses in 1 Corinthians 11. To say it wasn't a distraction when looking at her, is an understatement.
If that is their conviction, more power to them. If that’s a man’s conviction…
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville

Soloist wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:24 am
Grace wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:21 am Silly question, but what about the older women who seem to acquire facial hair on the chin and upper lip? I had an aunt who refused to shave her facial hair (beard and mustache) because of the verses in 1 Corinthians 11. To say it wasn't a distraction when looking at her, is an understatement.
If that is their conviction, more power to them. If that’s a man’s conviction…
I also had an aunt that had this issue and I think she got an estrogen treatment that resolved it. She was a good looking women (if I'm allowed to say that about my aunt) but the facial hair was a bit of a distraction :(
0 x

Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

The unwritten standard at mu church is nothing on head & anything goes lest we look judgemental consumed with outward. Actually the unwritten standard is dressing nicer than most churches I've been to (having become a Christian during Jesus movement with many x hippies influence)

Regarding facial hair- i frlt SO sorry for an Amish older woman who had beard & mustache. Assumed church rules forbid removing it. When i mentioned it to our Orthodox priest frien who drives Amish he admonished me for my concern. Vanity. Well i didnt see it that way. She was married & it made her look like a man. To me the Lord would not mind her wanting to look feminine.
1 x
steve-in-kville

Harkening back to our conservative Brethren days...

1- Hairstyles?
Parted in the middle, up in a bun. Not allowed to cut it.

Depending on the group, mesh or solid cap. One group allowed for a white hanging veil. Strings on cap style coverings, again depending on the group.

3- The use of makeup?
Nope. Even some creams used for acne and such were discouraged.

4- The dying of hair?
Knew of some women in looser KMF circles that did this. Never heard an issue being made.

No adornments allowed. Did know of a few that sported flowers in their hair, but that was pretty much cutting edge.
0 x

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:29 am Following the men's beard thread, time for one for our female constituents.

1- Hairstyles?

Yes. Follow any Holy Spirit's leading.

3- The use of makeup?

4- The dying of hair?

:)
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I once encountered a Swartzentruber couple (actually, I have seen this more than once) at a funeral where the wife obediently did not shave her facial hair - except for her moustache. Her moustache was appropriately shaved off just like her husband's. The rest of it was there, so it basically appeared like a moustache-less goatee. It would appear that the Bible's prohibition against women cutting any hair doesn't extend as far as avoiding wearing the moustache, due to its possible association with being a French military officer.

However, I have open questions as to just how many (a) female French military officers there were in the 1800s/1900s and (b) how many of them were sporting moustaches.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:50 am I also had an aunt that had this issue and I think she got an estrogen treatment that resolved it. She was a good looking women (if I'm allowed to say that about my aunt) but the facial hair was a bit of a distraction :(
Was it approved for her to identify as a plural entity? :hug:
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

The MB congregation where I grew up had a 'policy' that forbade dying the hair, because Jesus said that "you cannot make a single hair white or black". (I doubt if it was written, however.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.