Northern Mennonite Missions ,,,,Poplar Hill ,Red Lake Ontario

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Jeff Altweg
Affiliation: mennonite

Northern Mennonite Missions ,,,,Poplar Hill ,Red Lake Ontario

Post by Jeff Altweg »

i have a lot of friends ,that served in those cold snowy places , to teach the native children to forget their traditions, even their language , all in the name of the Mennonite Religion....
Of course we know what's been going down the past 20 years ,The Canadian Government that encouraged all that activity ,with the Native Populations, all across the Country ,repented of the whole Idea , With all kinds of programs in place now to right all that.Mostly it involves $$$$$
My question is , didn't anyone in the mennonite setting ever question that whole Idea, that it was not OK to take the Children away from their home communities ,for many months at a time ?
It seems clear now , with hindsight,that it wasn't the best thing to do , but back then it looked like "Cutting edge" Missionary programs ......
0 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Re: Northern Mennonite Missions ,,,,Poplar Hill ,Red Lake Ontario

Post by Jazman »

Jeff Altweg wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:14 am i have a lot of friends ,that served in those cold snowy places , to teach the native children to forget their traditions, even their language , all in the name of the Mennonite Religion....
Of course we know what's been going down the past 20 years ,The Canadian Government that encouraged all that activity ,with the Native Populations, all across the Country ,repented of the whole Idea , With all kinds of programs in place now to right all that.Mostly it involves $$$$$
My question is , didn't anyone in the mennonite setting ever question that whole Idea, that it was not OK to take the Children away from their home communities ,for many months at a time ?
It seems clear now , with hindsight,that it wasn't the best thing to do , but back then it looked like "Cutting edge" Missionary programs ......
One of my first questions would be: how did the first Menno missions in those areas start, who started them and all the why's (or inspirations that people felt leading them to do these missions)
I'm curious about the money angle. Did Mennos accept any money from Canadian gov or was it coming down the line through other organizations first and Mennos were unaware of it's original starting point (gov?).
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Jeff Altweg wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:14 am i have a lot of friends ,that served in those cold snowy places , to teach the native children to forget their traditions, even their language , all in the name of the Mennonite Religion....
What churches and church programs did this? You now have NYP which seems wildly successful, so that's good. But I'm trying to think which Mennonite missions operated on the same model as the government.
0 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Signtist wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:53 pm
What churches and church programs did this? You now have NYP which seems wildly successful, so that's good. But I'm trying to think which Mennonite missions operated on the same model as the government.
I know there used to be a rather strong connection between Red Lake and the Franconia Conference.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Signtist wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:53 pm
Poplar Hill residential school was run by Northern Light Gospel Mission, which later changed its name to Impact North and is now Living Hope Native Ministries. Seems like there might have been another name somewhere along the way, not sure about that.

One of my aunts taught there for a few years. We visited her when I was about two years old, and that was my first plane ride, or so they tell me, from the end of the road at Red Lake to Poplar Hill. I don't remember any of that.

Nor do I have any details of how the school was run, where the funding came from (I would not assume it was from the government), or how much cultural insensitivity was involved. Probably there were considerations of economy of scale, since it would have been impractical to have small schools in many remote communities.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

This baffles me as well. flyingnorm (MN) was telling me about this a year ago and the fallout from this that they need to deal with at NYP.

Right now I know of Mennonite missionaries who are going to foreign countries, setting up businesses with American money, and hiring nationals to work for them. Again, this baffles me. Why do missions keep making the same mistakes?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Ernie wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:34 pmRight now I know of Mennonite missionaries who are going to foreign countries, setting up businesses with American money, and hiring nationals to work for them. Again, this baffles me. Why do missions keep making the same mistakes?
What mistakes do you see in this?
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Pelerin wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:41 pm
Ernie wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:34 pmRight now I know of Mennonite missionaries who are going to foreign countries, setting up businesses with American money, and hiring nationals to work for them. Again, this baffles me. Why do missions keep making the same mistakes?
What mistakes do you see in this?
Have you ever heard that the man with the gold rules?
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ernie wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:06 pm Have you ever heard that the man with the gold rules?
What is the correct answer? Certainly seems like that is the same problem in Boston.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Soloist wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:32 am
Ernie wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:06 pm Have you ever heard that the man with the gold rules?
What is the correct answer? Certainly seems like that is the same problem in Boston.
Yes. Many people predicted this would eventually happen in Boston.

There are many missionaries who go and live on the level of the common people. They do not attempt to colonize part of the region.
They may teach the nationals some skills, but the goal is to help the nationals establish businesses that will add value to the local community.
0 x