Problematic Occupations for Mennonites

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Problematic Occupations for Mennonites

Post by RZehr »

Last week, a man mentioned the discomfort and uncertainty he felt in doing some RV work for a lesbian couple to live in. RV’s are an important part of his business.
I also heard about a man who quit his decal business, because a large part of it was on semi trucks, and was vain; client told him that the only reason people do it, is for pride.
This week, I was trying to think of a job for someone, and I thought of Walmarts openings in the curbs side ordering. But then, I figured that this person would refuse to take the job if he had to pick alcohol and tobacco orders.
Other retailers such as Home Depot may have inflexible Sunday schedules.
Today, someone wondered about how a third person was going to be a successful barber, because of the cutting women customers hair aspect.
I know others (more conservative and in another state) who won’t work with women.
Others won’t work where a vaccine is required.

I have no real direction for this thread. I expect the resident liberals have some answers though. ;) And that’s fine.

I feel like, with the current social values, and legal aspects, and economics, many occupations have problems.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Problematic Occupations for Mennonites

Post by Neto »

One of the other translators declined to do consultant checking with women who were consultants. I declined to do the same with any who were of similar age, but never needed to say anything, because the women doing this work were all much older than I.

I usually decline to do tech work at a residence where only the wife is there, but have on occasion. (Generally this doesn't come up, because Amish women don't want to be in that situation, either.)

I don't have a problem with having a woman supervisor, but I've rarely been in that situation, as I've generally worked in industries in which women do not have an interest.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

RZehr wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:17 pmI feel like, with the current social values, and legal aspects, and economics, many occupations have problems.
It would be interesting to know whether this is signifcantly different than 50 years ago.

Just curious, have Mennonites refused to bake cakes for divorced and remarried couples at their bakeries?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:49 pm
RZehr wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:17 pmI feel like, with the current social values, and legal aspects, and economics, many occupations have problems.
It would be interesting to know whether this is signifcantly different than 50 years ago.

Just curious, have Mennonites refused to bake cakes for divorced and remarried couples at their bakeries?
Beats me. I don’t know any who make custom wedding cakes, or who cater to the wedding industrial complex.

I think that the past, being more culturally Christian, had more understanding for Christian conscience. For a specific instance, I would believe that if someone wanted to reserve the right to refuse to decorate a homosexual wedding cake, you wouldn’t have gotten sued.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

RZehr wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:17 pm
I have no real direction for this thread. I expect the resident liberals have some answers though. ;) And that’s fine.

I feel like, with the current social values, and legal aspects, and economics, many occupations have problems.
Although I attend a church that many here may consider "liberal", my wife and I remain pretty conservative. To that end, I applaud the topic at hand.

Both a local Mennonite owned print shop, and a sign shop, retain the right to refuse work that does not align with their values. I find that acceptable. That said, if you're going to operate that way, make sure that 100% of the rest of your life lines up with those values.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
nett
Affiliation: Midwest Fellowship

Post by nett »

Ernie wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:49 pm Just curious, have Mennonites refused to bake cakes for divorced and remarried couples at their bakeries?
Is this a serious comparison?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

nett wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:53 pm
Ernie wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:49 pm Just curious, have Mennonites refused to bake cakes for divorced and remarried couples at their bakeries?
Is this a serious comparison?
If a divorced and remarried person was getting married for a third time and not to the first wife, I wouldn’t bake a cake for them.
If two guys were getting married, I’d refuse to bake them a cake.
If either of these two suggested parties walked in wanting a birthday cake I’d bake it.
Mind you, I’ve never baked a cake before :mrgreen:

In a more focused look, generally unless someone outright says it’s their second marriage, how would you know? Two guys wanting a wedding cake doesn’t leave the same ambiguity. I think your point though is about an unfair application of avoidance of sin and I’ve certainly heard about vacation rentals running into issues with both d/r and homosexuality.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Soloist wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:50 pmI think your point though is about an unfair application of avoidance of sin and I’ve certainly heard about vacation rentals running into issues with both d/r and homosexuality.
Yeah, I was just wondering where people draw the line.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

For me this is an area where one should follow their conscience but allow some grace for others who make different decisions. I worked for years doing home renovations for a mob affiliated construction company. When I started, I wasn't aware but it became clear over time. The boss protected me at times by making sure I was busy on ligit work while others were, well, doing other things. If God puts you there, it will be for a plan.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

I think your point though is about an unfair application of avoidance of sin and I’ve certainly heard about vacation rentals running into issues with both d/r and homosexuality.
In Northern Lancaster County, there is Retreat and Outdoor Adventure Center that has all kinds of outdoor activities, a lodge and many vacation rental cabins. The owners are not Mennonite but very devout Christians.They have taken a strong stance against LGTB and unmarried couples renting their cabins or rooms in their lodge. Several years ago they were targeted with lots of hate from the LGTB community because they refused to rent to a lesbian couple.
0 x