The cape dress: Its origins and evolution over the ages

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

The cape dress: Its origins and evolution over the ages

Post by steve-in-kville »

Spin off of this thread:
https://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4227

This discussion is open is everyone. As I always understood, the cape dress was born out of a need for nursing mothers and just kinda stuck. I have seen various dress patterns of this, many are even spelled out in some church's written standards like necklines, waist elastic, sleeve length and so on. For something that is meant to be simple, we can really make it complicated 8-)

I have no real direction for this thread. Discuss history, preferences, thoughts and so forth.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: The cape dress: Its origins and evolution over the ages

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:36 am Spin off of this thread:
https://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4227

This discussion is open is everyone. As I always understood, the cape dress was born out of a need for nursing mothers and just kinda stuck. I have seen various dress patterns of this, many are even spelled out in some church's written standards like necklines, waist elastic, sleeve length and so on. For something that is meant to be simple, we can really make it complicated 8-)

I have no real direction for this thread. Discuss history, preferences, thoughts and so forth.
And I always thought the cape dress was born out of a need to cover the shape of a woman's body. That also included an "apron", which was an extra piece of fabric on the the front of the skirt. The Weaverland Conference minister's wives and the Groffdale Conference women are still required to attach an apron on the front of their skirts. The apron is made of the same fabric as the dress, sewn into the waist and hardly noticeable.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Grace wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:46 am
And I always thought the cape dress was born out of a need to cover the shape of a woman's body. That also included an "apron", which was an extra piece of fabric on the the front of the skirt. The Weaverland Conference minister's wives and the Groffdale Conference women are still required to attach an apron on the front of their skirts. The apron is made of the same fabric as the dress, sewn into the waist and hardly noticeable.
The apron may be a regional thing. I work with a man that is ordained in the Horning church and he has to wear suspenders, whereas down in Lancaster County its not required.
0 x

steve-in-kville

We have nothing else to add to this? I thought this subject would see more activity 8-)
0 x

Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:45 am We have nothing else to add to this? I thought this subject would see more activity 8-)
The cape dress has evolved over the years within some (but not all) segments of Conservative Anabaptist's. My mother's and grandmother's cape dresses were an extra loose sewed fabric portion, that was not attached to the dress. Later women started to sew the cape right into the dress waist. Now I am told that some, are even sewing the darts of the cape right into the dress. The cape dress was meant to cover the woman's shape. But sewing the waist and the darts in with the cape, defeats that whole purpose. There are those who still abide by the old way of having the cape be a loose extra part of a dress. But the cape dresses I see, are just as form fitting as those dresses without capes. I do see many women wear sweaters, jackets, light blouses over their dresses, which is just as modest as a cape dress.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

At a recent wedding a few counties away, many of the bride's relatives were from the Plain-but-not-Menno category. Some of my friends thought they were Dunkard, since we have some of those nearby, but they were obviously OGBB. The shape of the cape is the distinguishing characteristic.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Holdemans never adopted the cape dress (despite misguided academics who claim so in their Ph.D thesis).
2 x
steve-in-kville

ohio jones wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:19 pm The shape of the cape is the distinguishing characteristic.
Anyone remember the Charity-style matching vest over a cape dress fad? haven't see that one in a while.
0 x

Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Grace wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:28 amThe cape dress has evolved over the years within some (but not all) segments of Conservative Anabaptist's. My mother's and grandmother's cape dresses were an extra loose sewed fabric portion, that was not attached to the dress. Later women started to sew the cape right into the dress waist. Now I am told that some, are even sewing the darts of the cape right into the dress. The cape dress was meant to cover the woman's shape. But sewing the waist and the darts in with the cape, defeats that whole purpose. There are those who still abide by the old way of having the cape be a loose extra part of a dress. But the cape dresses I see, are just as form fitting as those dresses without capes. I do see many women wear sweaters, jackets, light blouses over their dresses, which is just as modest as a cape dress.
Grace - the majority of cape dresses (speaking generally, of course) tend to accomplish far more in the way of cultural and group identity, and perhaps in some ways "nonconformity") than they accomplish in physical modesty, when you get right down to it. There are some like the River Brethren and a few hyper-OldOrders whose styles are still loose or full enough to pull it off, though.

It's interesting that you mentioned the pattern change, though... I understand what you're saying, but in reality, there actually ARE situations where connecting the waist and darts does NOT defeat the purpose. For the last 10 years or so, my wife has actually sewn her darts (I assume you mean the points of the cape) into the waist specifically to conceal the form-fittingness of the bodice of our traditional style of dress (Brethren, sometimes aka Dunkard, German Baptist, etc), which has a split-front (or "two point") cape. You can see the following link for a picture of our traditional dress style if what I mean by "split front" capes doesn't make sense...: https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnew ... 1200%2C811. This may only make sense to people who have sewn cape dresses, but she actually added material in the center front to bring the split back together so the button line down the front goes through the cape itself (which is still technically "split" but is connected behind the buttons), and loosened the waist a little. In essence, this has allowed her to maintain the traditional style but still address the modesty issue which she was personally convicted of.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:23 pm
Grace wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:28 amLater women started to sew the cape right into the dress waist. Now I am told that some, are even sewing the darts of the cape right into the dress. The cape dress was meant to cover the woman's shape. But sewing the waist and the darts in with the cape, defeats that whole purpose.
For the last 10 years or so, my wife has actually sewn her darts (I assume you mean the points of the cape) into the waist ...
I know very little about tailoring, particularly of the female variety, but I don't think that was her point. Indeed, there may be no point to most Menno capes. I would dart to the conclusion that the picture below illustrates the stitchuation: darts in the dress separate from darts in the cape, vs. darts that connect the cape to the dress.

1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited